LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Niners sign Alfonso Smtih

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Jess Root from Revenge of the Birds

"Alfonso is a typical back of the roster running back. He never has excelled as a runner, but he does have some skills. You might remember him as the back that fumbled late in the game the Cardinals played in San Francisco.

He has very good speed. I think he clocked a 4.29 coming out of Kentucky. The issue is that he does not have good patience or vision. As a back, he almost always hits his hole too early. He is a very good pass protector, which earned him a spot on the roster. He is solid on special teams and a good open field tackler in kick coverage. He is very likeable and stays out of trouble.

The Cardinals signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He spent that first season on their practice squad. He was on the roster in 2011, and then in 2012 was beaten out by William Powell for a running back spot. Injuries to Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams brought him back. He made the team outright in 2013 due to his special teams play and pass blocking. That fumble against the Niners was his last carry of the season. The Cards didn't bring him back because he was a RFA and certainly not worth the tender. I'm personally happy he landed with a team, at least for now. If me makes the team, you will like him."
source: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/29/5948109/49ers-officially-sign-alfonso-smith-waive-injured-fou-fonoti

the keyword(s) in this

very good pass protector

something we don't have in a RB when Gore is off the field

This. The front office isn't going to risk the QB getting killed because the the RB didn't recognize the weak side blitz. Anyone remember Lawrence Phillips?? Remember, this is how we lost Steve Young.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
he makes the team, if Hyde or Lattimore don't show they can pass block..or pass catch out of the back field.

do not forget the guy plays well on special teams,, when hunter went down, we also lost a core special teams guy and not sure if hyde lattimore or james can do special teams coverage.. what the hell,, some people around here can root for underdog okoye to make the team..... i have decided i will root for smith to make the team. if lattimore starts the year unable to play, then his chances of making the team, unless he blows goats for the northwestern railroad in pre season, look better
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Jess Root from Revenge of the Birds

"Alfonso is a typical back of the roster running back. He never has excelled as a runner, but he does have some skills. You might remember him as the back that fumbled late in the game the Cardinals played in San Francisco.

He has very good speed. I think he clocked a 4.29 coming out of Kentucky. The issue is that he does not have good patience or vision. As a back, he almost always hits his hole too early. He is a very good pass protector, which earned him a spot on the roster. He is solid on special teams and a good open field tackler in kick coverage. He is very likeable and stays out of trouble.

The Cardinals signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He spent that first season on their practice squad. He was on the roster in 2011, and then in 2012 was beaten out by William Powell for a running back spot. Injuries to Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams brought him back. He made the team outright in 2013 due to his special teams play and pass blocking. That fumble against the Niners was his last carry of the season. The Cards didn't bring him back because he was a RFA and certainly not worth the tender. I'm personally happy he landed with a team, at least for now. If me makes the team, you will like him."
source: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/29/5948109/49ers-officially-sign-alfonso-smith-waive-injured-fou-fonoti

the keyword(s) in this

very good pass protector

something we don't have in a RB when Gore is off the field

This. The front office isn't going to risk the QB getting killed because the the RB didn't recognize the weak side blitz. Anyone remember Lawrence Phillips?? Remember, this is how we lost Steve Young.
if i recall phillips had some worthless 90 yard run in pre season so the niners kept him and two weeks later,, well we know what happened.. it does not show up in quik stats, but that pass blocking and or special teams play is very important to our way of life if you are going to be a running back
Share 49ersWebzone