LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Niners sign Alfonso Smtih

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by DeUh:
Jess Root from Revenge of the Birds

"Alfonso is a typical back of the roster running back. He never has excelled as a runner, but he does have some skills. You might remember him as the back that fumbled late in the game the Cardinals played in San Francisco.

He has very good speed. I think he clocked a 4.29 coming out of Kentucky. The issue is that he does not have good patience or vision. As a back, he almost always hits his hole too early. He is a very good pass protector, which earned him a spot on the roster. He is solid on special teams and a good open field tackler in kick coverage. He is very likeable and stays out of trouble.

The Cardinals signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He spent that first season on their practice squad. He was on the roster in 2011, and then in 2012 was beaten out by William Powell for a running back spot. Injuries to Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams brought him back. He made the team outright in 2013 due to his special teams play and pass blocking. That fumble against the Niners was his last carry of the season. The Cards didn't bring him back because he was a RFA and certainly not worth the tender. I'm personally happy he landed with a team, at least for now. If me makes the team, you will like him."
source: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/29/5948109/49ers-officially-sign-alfonso-smith-waive-injured-fou-fonoti

the keyword(s) in this

very good pass protector

something we don't have in a RB when Gore is off the field
Chances he makes the team? I hope 0%.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

only way he makes the team is if Lattimore remains injured.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

which is pretty high
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:

which is pretty high

yup.

good thing Gore is a fkn man, not like these new age pansies that keep getting hurt.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

which is pretty high

yup.

good thing Gore is a fkn man, not like these new age pansies that keep getting hurt.

no more bell cows thats for sure.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

nobody expects he will. he is here to help us get through camp. if he does make the roster and james gets cut,, that shows you how bad james is but that should not happen.. although this guy does block well and do special teams which is something james can not do. the other thing i saw was that the guy does not get in trouble and I think the niners are looking for that on players resume nowadays
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

which is pretty high

yup.

and even when he does get hurt, he plays,, like the broken finger vs the hawks
Oh look another Smith. We should all change our last names to smith, get longer arms, and tear our acls. That way we have a shot of making the team
Smith and Hampton will get 95% of the carries this preseason

no more bell cows thats for sure.

Somewhat disagree. Current NFL "Bell Cows" include:

Matt Forte
Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Charles
LeSean McCoy
Eddie Lacy
Marshawn Lynch
Arian Foster
DeMarco Murray
Monte Ball
Alfred Morris
Toby Gerhart

Arguments can be made for:

Frank Gore
Zac Stacey
Ray Rice
Doug Martin
Trent Richardson

My point is that there are plenty of ways to skin a cat. If a team has a RB capable of being a 3-down player, he can establish a rhythm, which is preferred by some coaches. When you don't have "that guy", you're forced to "play the hot hand", or feature a "thunder and lightning" approach. Again, there are many ways to get the job done, but the "Bell Cow" attack is alive and well.
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
lol this. i believe there was a point when the cardinals thought that he would be their lead back. i think i picked him up in fantasy once as my "maybe he will start" guy.

anyways...no way he makes the roster unless someone else gets hurt.

i wish we could of got tyler gaffney. panthers waived him but the pats got him off waivers :/ i bet harbaugh put in a bid

The Panthers coach was excited about him and raving about him right after he injured himself. I'm surprised they waived him. That was just a day or two ago I heard Riveira talking about him and how well he was picking things up.

yea it was a suprising move. really wish we could of jumped on that. o well im sure a lot of running backs will get by the start of season and we will be able to pick up someone better if there are any more injuries to our RBs
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Somewhat disagree. Current NFL "Bell Cows" include:

Matt Forte
Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Charles
LeSean McCoy
Eddie Lacy
Marshawn Lynch
Arian Foster
DeMarco Murray
Monte Ball
Alfred Morris
Toby Gerhart

Arguments can be made for:

Frank Gore
Zac Stacey
Ray Rice
Doug Martin
Trent Richardson

My point is that there are plenty of ways to skin a cat. If a team has a RB capable of being a 3-down player, he can establish a rhythm, which is preferred by some coaches. When you don't have "that guy", you're forced to "play the hot hand", or feature a "thunder and lightning" approach. Again, there are many ways to get the job done, but the "Bell Cow" attack is alive and well.

he makes the team, if Hyde or Lattimore don't show they can pass block..or pass catch out of the back field.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
he makes the team, if Hyde or Lattimore don't show they can pass block..or pass catch out of the back field.

Hyde was a good pass blocker in college, and there have been reports out of camp that the trend continues in the NFL, so far.
Share 49ersWebzone