LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Which Niners can return punts in 2014?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ellington is going to seize the returner role, at least I hope.
Originally posted by THEB:
With the WR corps being so crowded, i wouldnt doubt that they throw Quinton Patton back there. He wont be in the starting WR set.

Edit: Just read that he just dislocated his elbow. He'll be back before camp even ends.

I think so too. He had the lowest dropped pass % in college his Sr year. I realize that is not a direct collaboration, but good hands is a great place to start. Plus, he has some speed and moves ... it seems like a perfect fit.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by THEB:
With the WR corps being so crowded, i wouldnt doubt that they throw Quinton Patton back there. He wont be in the starting WR set.

Edit: Just read that he just dislocated his elbow. He'll be back before camp even ends.

I think so too. He had the lowest dropped pass % in college his Sr year. I realize that is not a direct collaboration, but good hands is a great place to start. Plus, he has some speed and moves ... it seems like a perfect fit.

They tried Patton and he had 3 straight drops. Not off to a good start but I wouldn't give up on him either.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Thought the thread title said at first glance,

"Will 49ers return punts in 2014?"

lmao. might be a good idea to just let it roll.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MarkD:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Okoye

there is nothing he can not do

He would be returning the punt dragging all 11 from the other team down the field to score . then the explosion that occurs when he spikes the ball after scoring would knock down both goal posts and Joe Bucks toupee would never be seen again.
and a mass ejaculation of all of the okoye's fan boys over each others chests will be the end result
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Okoye

there is nothing he can not do

He would be returning the punt dragging all 11 from the other team down the field to score . then the explosion that occurs when he spikes the ball after scoring would knock down both goal posts and Joe Bucks toupee would never be seen again.
and a mass ejaculation of all of the okoye's fan boys over each others chests will be the end result

You said ejaculation
[ Edited by MarkD on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM ]
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
There were so many good free agent KR/PR this offseason that could have helped us out.I dont know why they stuck with LaMichael James.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Chris Biderman ‏@ChrisBiderman 2m
The Colts cut RB Chris Rainey, 26, who has experience at KR/PR. Could be a possibility for 49ers but comes with red flags off the field.

May not hurt to take a look

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4680/kentwan-balmer

Still only 27 years old, I say we get someone who has sure hands. Kentwan never muffed a kickoff, punt or onside kick. As long as he doesn't go AWOL on Sundays, I think he's got the right stuff.
Originally posted by Psinex:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4680/kentwan-balmer

Still only 27 years old, I say we get someone who has sure hands. Kentwan never muffed a kickoff, punt or onside kick. As long as he doesn't go AWOL on Sundays, I think he's got the right stuff.

That jersey looks like its barely been worn......

Balmer's only sack, ever.......

Didn't know they made NFL jersey's in mid-riff.......

He still tells chicks he plays for the Niners.......

He still wears him warm-ups because he is living on the streets......

I could do this for hours........

allen rossum is available
Morris is a jet - they should give him a shot.
Thl has it right. Don't care who returns punts, as long as he doesn't muff them. Some of this is coaching philosophy, as in Coach could flat out say, "don't do anything except field the punt"...ie, raise your arm , call for fair catch, and that's it. You do give up some field position doing that, but you don't lose punts to fumbles at least. Think back to Coach's first yr here, we find ourselves in the NFCC game, in the STick, in the wind, rain and mud. What did Coughlin do? Well, he had all his PR call for a fair catch. JH, being new to the STick and to the NFL...he didn't tell his PR to stay the hell away from any ball on the ground on a punt. Result? You know. How could any of us forget? KW has one hit him and then virtually repeats the error, the second time giving the game to NYG.

The point? Philosophy. If fielding punts is a weakness with the guys we have, ok....deal with it. Tell every single PR guy to call for fair catch unless inside the 7 yd line, when you just get out of the way. Yes, you can get stuck in places you don't want to be. But you have way less muffs too. The other thing , also courtesy of Thl, is to have a second guy back, specifically to give the PR some protection.

Meantime work somebody, anybody, daily with dozens of punts, until we have someone who can reliably field and return punts. It is no different than receiving passes...you just need to do it dozens and dozens and dozens of times, until, finally, it just comes naturally. I was impressed that JH never carried out a program like that...where one guy did nothing but field punts all day long all week long, all season long. Sounds excessive but not having a reliable PR you know will do the job for you is worse.
Share 49ersWebzone