There are 189 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which Niners can return punts in 2014?

LMJ was not spectacular, but he did a serviceable job last season. I know Perrish Cox is capable. Bruce Ellington maybe. Is there anyone else that I am missing?

With Kyle Williams flashbacks going off in my head, should the Niners be exploring the free agent market for a veteran PR to bring to camp?

I will continue to say letting Ted Ginn walk was a mistake.
if ted ginn wasnt a p***y then KW would have never been back there returning punts
PR/KOR: LaMichael James; Perrish Cox, Darryl Morris, Devon Wiley, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, L.J. McCray, D.J. Campbell & Kenneth Acker (even Carlos Hyde).
If I had to choose between ball security (catch the punt and hold on) or dynamic return ability, I will always choose ball security. So whoever doesn't make me hold my breath as the punt is coming down. LMJ is a good punt returner with the ball in his hands, but he muffed a couple in limited returns. If he can improve that, I want LMJ back there fielding punts. KW was perfect last season with ball security until the JAC game where he muffed a punt. He was cut immediately. There are ways to help prevent lost muffs like keeping, or running, another 49er back to help help secure the punt. Whoever can properly field the punt, I want that guy. Return ability is a bonus
With the WR corps being so crowded, i wouldnt doubt that they throw Quinton Patton back there. He wont be in the starting WR set.

Edit: Just read that he just dislocated his elbow. He'll be back before camp even ends.
[ Edited by THEB on Jul 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM ]
--Patton had five receptions during team drills, but struggled as he got reps back deep on punt returns. Patton muffed three consecutive punts from Colton Schmidt.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/practice-3-49ers-passing-game-takes-shape

That's not going to help him earn the punt returner job.
Originally posted by thl408:
--Patton had five receptions during team drills, but struggled as he got reps back deep on punt returns. Patton muffed three consecutive punts from Colton Schmidt.

I said i wouldnt doubt if they throw him back there (which they did) i never said on game day :P
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by thl408:

I said i wouldnt doubt if they throw him back there (which they did) i never said on game day :P

Hah! I see your point. He isn't getting on the field as a WR so find him something to do. Maybe he can kick return.
How does a wide RECEIVER muff three punts..............during practice.
What about Patton or Hyde and or chris cook?.. try to see if they can play?
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:39 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
There is a special teams thread already.

This fits into that thread.

unless Ellington tears it up in preseason, it's LMJ's job when he comes back for the opener.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
LMJ was not spectacular, but he did a serviceable job last season. I know Perrish Cox is capable. Bruce Ellington maybe. Is there anyone else that I am missing?

With Kyle Williams flashbacks going off in my head, should the Niners be exploring the free agent market for a veteran PR to bring to camp?

I will continue to say letting Ted Ginn walk was a mistake.

Yup. Shaky special teams play is usually good for a couple losses every year.
  • DeUh
Originally posted by buck:
There is a special teams thread already.

This fits into that thread.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/178750-special-teams-2014/
I have said before, and I will stay consistent, I want to see Cox get a shot. He should get to in pre-season now