LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Hall of Fame LB, Patrick Willis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Case One: Three great MLBs who were all injured last year. Borland will be cheap insurnce for another three years (?) on his rookie contract. Why would you trade your defensive captain, who is still playing at the top of his game? To get Borland more time? What about Borland's health risks?

I can't see they happening unless they believe Willis is close to the end of his career due to healthy issues. And with the transition on the DL it would be silly to also weaken the LBs.

Case Two: If they go after a true NT in Facy or high in the draft they may feel it's a good time to make changes to LBs to save money. Not really necessary but...?
I put no stock in that rumor. But I didn't think Harbaugh was on his way out either
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Case One: Three great MLBs who were all injured last year. Borland will be cheap insurnce for another three years (?) on his rookie contract. Why would you trade your defensive captain, who is still playing at the top of his game? To get Borland more time? What about Borland's health risks?

I can't see they happening unless they believe Willis is close to the end of his career due to healthy issues. And with the transition on the DL it would be silly to also weaken the LBs.

Case Two: If they go after a true NT in Facy or high in the draft they may feel it's a good time to make changes to LBs to save money. Not really necessary but...?

Yup, makes no sense to trade any of them. They're all great players, we still have Borland on the cheap for the next few seasons. All 3 of them have injury concerns, so quality depth there is needed.

With Mangini hired, I'm assuming we'll stick to a 3-4 front. I'd like to see real space-eating NT to keep blockers off the MLBs, whether that's Dorsey or someone else.

I wonder if taking on blocks took it's toll on Willis and Borland. Another reason why I was intrigued by a possible move to 4-3 front. We keep Aldon and Lynch on the field as DEs, while the even front keeps the linebackers clean, allowing Bow, Willis, and Borland to chase and pursue without have to shed so many blocks.
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Baalke trade Willis for a pair of 6th rounders and draft some players that fell in the draft because of torn acl's/injuries
Willis played at a high level with this toe injury for the last couple of seasons. I have no reason to think he wont be better now that it is repaired.
Willis doesn't even get the respect he deserves from 49er fans anymore. Theyve all become fascinated with Bowman and acted like Willis is old news. Its very disappointing from some of our fans who dont know the roles of each MLB job.

Gather our entire corps of LB, and Willis is still the best tackler, and the best in coverage of all of them.

Not to mention his classy attitude and team leadership.

Getting rid of him would be idiotic.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Willis doesn't even get the respect he deserves from 49er fans anymore. Theyve all become fascinated with Bowman and acted like Willis is old news. Its very disappointing from some of our fans who dont know the roles of each MLB job.

Gather our entire corps of LB, and Willis is still the best tackler, and the best in coverage of all of them.

100% Agree
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:

100% Agree

Obviously the foot really affected his burst, That's all people were saying. But at the time no one knew he was carrying this foot injury for years.
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:

100% Agree

200% agree
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Originally posted by 4ML:

I would probably die if we got rid of Willis.
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Originally posted by 4ML:

Originally posted by Izyniner:
Willis played at a high level with this toe injury for the last couple of seasons. I have no reason to think he wont be better now that it is repaired.

exactly
http://instagram.com/p/ynS65BQN6q/

this team man. this team is destined for something special
Share 49ersWebzone