LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

10 Players Not To Forget/Underestimate

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good one too. Great thread. For me I'm going with Cox. The light bulb seemed to come on after we cut him and brought him back for the playoff run. Could he become the next Brock who just needed time to develop and a reality check of humility?

Cox should have been playing in the NFC Championship game over Rogers. I mean, played a great game against Aaron Rodgers. What's that about going with the hot hand, Harbaugh?

That whiff by Carlos Rogers basically set us on the wrong course and we never recovered after that. We stop the Hawks on that drive and we would have crushed their spirit.

I mean, why not give the guy a chance to make an impact?
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good one too. Great thread. For me I'm going with Cox. The light bulb seemed to come on after we cut him and brought him back for the playoff run. Could he become the next Brock who just needed time to develop and a reality check of humility?

Cox should have been playing in the NFC Championship game over Rogers. I mean, played a great game against Aaron Rodgers. What's that about going with the hot hand, Harbaugh?

That whiff by Carlos Rogers basically set us on the wrong course and we never recovered after that. We stop the Hawks on that drive and we would have crushed their spirit.

I mean, why not give the guy a chance to make an impact?

Exactly, Aldon's dumbass jumps offsides when everyone in the world knew the Hawks were just trying to get us to jump for the free yards (IIRC) and Rogers of course, is too little, too late; he was there but again, can't make a play "on the ball." Game over. There were several moves I was not happy with re: personnel that game from Rogers to Snyder for Iupati to Tukuafu (why even have him on the field anyway)...add another WR, TE, etc. out of single back sets?

But back to Cox, he knows this defense very well and man, he played his ass off once he came back. If guys like Brooks don't stuff the Panthers at the goal line twice or Cox doesn't play his ass off in GB, we don't even make it to the NFCCG. Don't overlook Cox. That said, I'm really excited to see how far Morris has developed with his wicked speed/quickness and who isn't excited to see Ward play?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
frank gire
This list is ironic because I see niner fans (not just here just the internet in general) overestimate some of these guys. Yeah some of these guys might have the breakout year we would love to see but in the NFL no everyone is gonna be a good player. Personally I am rooting for Baldwin just because he is such a physical freak with monster potential but I'm not sure if he'll live up to it
LOL @ Baldwins vert (14 inch) I have a 14 inch vert
  • lazy
  • Veteran
The only person I don't agree with on that is John Baldwin.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:

Are you kidding? Is that really Baldwin's vertical jump? That can't be true. Bruce Ellington did a 39.5" vertical jump at the combine.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
This list is ironic because I see niner fans (not just here just the internet in general) overestimate some of these guys. Yeah some of these guys might have the breakout year we would love to see but in the NFL no everyone is gonna be a good player. Personally I am rooting for Baldwin just because he is such a physical freak with monster potential but I'm not sure if he'll live up to it

i feel the same way,, due to his age, size and blocking skills i hope he makes it over miss lloyd. also a huge part of me wants him to succeed so we can say we got something for jenkins. I guess that is a pretty poor reason for wanting to keep someone but no one ever said i ever made sense
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:

Are you kidding? Is that really Baldwin's vertical jump? That can't be true. Bruce Ellington did a 39.5" vertical jump at the combine.

Probably a typo...41"?
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

i feel the same way,, due to his age, size and blocking skills i hope he makes it over miss lloyd. also a huge part of me wants him to succeed so we can say we got something for jenkins. I guess that is a pretty poor reason for wanting to keep someone but no one ever said i ever made sense

Yeah, d/t Patton, Ellington and Johnson, he's very unlikely to make the team BUT if he makes good strides, he is more of your traditional X & Z WR and we do need to plan for life w/o Crabtree and Boldin so...it's possible.

Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by zugschef:
Brooks is more essential to the team's success than Aldon.

I don't know about that. Say what you want about Aldon, the kid has a gift. Not to devalue Brooks, who maybe the more complete player, but we are a more dangerous team when Aldon is getting to QB. Aldon is sort of the only guy on the team who doesn't need a scheme to put pressure on the QB, he can just flat out beat his man straight up. Maybe Tank can, we will see. If Tank can, then I'd say Aldon is expendable, but until then, next to Kaep, maybe Frank and Willis, Aldon is our most important guy. Clowney goes #1 because they hope hes the next Aldon Smith.

All of this. Brooks is all world but Aldon is out of this world with his pass rushing ability alone. And that type of ability is never expendable. It's expensive, but never expendable.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by Since07:
For the 9ers oh yea, alot of em could start on another team though like hunter or jerod E but my wild card is Morris Iev always have had a raging boner for him

Yea I saw that thread :P You hit the nail on the head with lemon I bet we start using him on 3rd and long situations but I swear every time brooks hits the qb they ALWAYS get hurt!

I don't know really, if these guys you mention are starters, you'd think other teams would be trying to trade for them. It's amazingly competitive in this league, almost everyone except the core of the team, which is like 15 guys, maybe even less guys are replaceable.

Brooks is a cap casualty most likely, he's a helluva player but we have alot of money into linebackers and Aldon will need a huge deal. There are literally hundreds if Jerod Eddies and Dials out there, one trick ponies. Hunter is a good player, but goes down way too easy to be an every down back. Patton looks good, but there is so much receiver talent being produced now at the college level, you really need to be special to start in this league. Guys who get drafted late and who are deemed projects sometimes never lose that label. Doubt any of those guys make an impact in this league.

I forsee some people having an issue with how much we have invested in our linebackers, but this isn't a Carlos Rogers type of situation to me (and BTW Rogers is a good starting corner). We're talking about a guy that is among the best at his position. I doubt Lemonier is on that level either this year or next. And if he does get to the level where he could replace Brook's production, he's going to be owed a lot of money when his deal is up after the 2016 season, but knowing Baalke he probably will be extended before .
Originally posted by zugschef:
Brooks is better against the run and at sealing the edge than Aldon. That's not even up for debate. This is one of the main reasons why Bowman had so much success. Apart from that, the Niners didn't lose a single game when Aldon was rehabbing. Smith did get significantly better towards the end of the season, but although he had some nice plays in the playoffs Brooks still played slightly better overall and even had more sacks.

There could be many reasons to why we won or loss without this or that guy, I expect us to win many games without the great Bowman. I'd have to look at the sacks in context, were they coverage sacks, scheme sacks? All I'm saying is Aldon is the best pure pass rusher on the team, the one guy who can stand on the edge, everyone knows what he's going to do, and he still put heat on the QB while frequently being double teamed. To a defense predicated on stopping the run with the intent of putting opposing offenses in predictable passing situations, I don't want to lose our best pass rusher. We can continue the debate as the season progresses, Im attached to nobody, so Aldon better kill it or I might change my mind. If he ain't focused after what he's been through, he'll never be.
Good list, I get your looking at underrated players.

Looney has played tho.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

John Taylor

silent but deadly

/threads

This right here!

But who is more silent McDermott
  • Jiks
I have a feeling that Stevie Johnson is going to surprise some people. I think he is right there(when 100%) with Crabtree and Boldin as far as best receivers on the team. I wouldn't count his presence out.

As far as Baldwin, when will he get his chances? I agree he could become a surprise, but I don't see many reps for him unless an injury happens. I see Johnson, Patton, Ellington, maybe even Lloyd being in front of him, so it's going to hard for him to even prove his case.
Share 49ersWebzone