LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Williams, Bowman and now, Sherman Rule

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You mean Seattle's OL won't be able to continue blocking by dropping to the ground and looking for a knee to take out?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
if the hermaphrodite can't get it's way, it just might resort to spitting... try to get it in WRs eyes
How much will the supposed new emphasis on the actual rules regarding DB play really affect the Seacawks; very little, somewhat, or significantly.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
How much will the supposed new emphasis on the actual rules regarding DB play really affect the Seacawks; very little, somewhat, or significantly.

Assuming the NFL actually follows through with it, I'll say at least somewhat. It won't be dramatic because the Seattle D has legit talent and they will adjust.

But anyone who watches the games (especially the coaches film) can see that they get away with contact beyond 5 yards A LOT. It's not just trivial, incidental contact. It's clearly impeding the WRs ability to run the route.

The NFL has to eliminate the grey area this season. Either you allow WRs and DBs to mug each other on each route, or enforce the f**king rules. Contact beyond 5 yards is a penalty, period, no questions asked. It should be very easy to determine incidental vs penalty. It's only difficult today because the refs see the illegal contact, but only call it when they feel like it. It creates inconsistency and confusion. That has to stop.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM ]
  • thl408
All teams push the envelope if the refs allow it. The 49ers were considered dirty when Bobb McKittrick told his Oline to cutblock all over the place. I'm glad the league at least recognized the high amount of illegal contact downfield. If the refs actually follow through with enforcing this, the safety position just got a lot more important. This will definitely hurt the seagull CBs.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Assuming the NFL actually follows through with it, I'll say at least somewhat. It won't be dramatic because the Seattle D has legit talent and they will adjust.

But anyone who watches the games (especially the coache's film) can see that they get away with contact beyond 5 yards A LOT. It's not just trivial, incidental contact. It's clearly impeding the WRs ability to run the route.

The NFL has to eliminate the grey area this season. Either you allow WRs and DBs to mug each other on each route, or enforce the f**king rules. Contact beyond 5 yards is a penalty, period, no questions asked. It should be very easy to determine incidental vs penalty. It's only difficult today because the refs see the illegal contact, but only call it when they feel like it. It creates inconsistency and confusion. That has to stop.

Agreed on the bolded. What bothers me is that the only times the ref might call the penalty is when the WR that got contacted illegally was targeted with a throw. A lot of times, the whole reason the QB doesn't throw it to the WR is because the WR wasn't open, because there was illegal contact committed. There's no flag thrown because the WR wasn't targeted with a pass.
Originally posted by thl408:
Agreed on the bolded. What bothers me is that the only times the ref might call the penalty is when the WR that got contacted illegally was targeted with a throw. A lot of times, the whole reason the QB doesn't throw it to the WR is because the WR wasn't open, because there was illegal contact committed. There's no flag thrown because the WR wasn't targeted with a pass.

Great point. If you can take a player out of the progression with illegal contact, that alone could blow up the entire play. The timing is thrown off.

I know people will counter all this by saying the NFL is becoming even more of a passing league, but I don't see that way. I see it affecting a couple teams, primarily one team, that will now have to play under the same rules as everyone else. The 49ers play legit man-coverage for the most part and still have a pretty darn good defense. So it's possible to stop the pass and do it the right way.
i think it is stupid that the league just decides that they will pay more attention to this...it has been known for the last two seasons that the hawks secondary hold receivers and got special treatment by not getting penalized. they are a year too late for this stuff
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i think it is stupid that the league just decides that they will pay more attention to this...it has been known for the last two seasons that the hawks secondary hold receivers and got special treatment by not getting penalized. they are a year too late for this stuff

Agreed. Unfortunately the only reason the NFL is finally doing something about it is because of what a joke the SB was. The SB is broadcast globally, and they wanted the world to see Manning and that high-powered Denver offense. Instead they got the snot kicked out of them.

The funny thing is Seattle was going to kill them no matter what, holding or no holding. They completely dominated the LOS, and at that point it doesn't matter what's going on down the field.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 20, 2014 at 11:19 PM ]
Both of these rules WILL affect Seattle, as both holding and cut blocking ARE a big part of their game plan.Will they adapt? Were so close as teams that any advantage we get is huge. A drive extended here or there , less injury's due to irresponsible blocking practices and our obviously superior off season should shift the power back in our corner.

Now if we could just get that crowd noise penalty reinstated.

I'm really only half joking. I have two boys ages 9 and 11 and if I were a hawks fan I wouldn't want to bring them into a place that loud as it wouldn't be fun for them or the elderly too for that matter .stadiums should be gathering places that accommodate the entire community that funded them . because it is a copycat league as we all know it would be horrible for all new fields to be constructed as big sound amplifyers in order to keep up( just as we don't want to see the whole league resort to she hawk holding tactics in order to keep up). I mean the NFL doesn't allows home teams to hand out noise making devices but allows Seattle's stadium to be a huge one.

Between the blatent holding violations, PED use ,playing to injure other teams and brash behavior which came to a crescendo during Shermans nonsensical roid rage speech following our last game it just makes the game ugly( and with Sherman even more so , he is But-@$$- fugly). The game is violent enough as it is there is no point in allowing the seahawks push the envelope and dictate the way the league evolves. Do we want a generation of kids wanting to be a Dick??? Keep it classy Seattle and win because you're the better team not because you found and exploited loopholes to the point that rules must be amended in order to keep it fair. And then to see Cheat Carroll celebrating after horrible calls like batting the punt incident or the horrible non call against the packers in 2012. Makes for an ugly , cheap and classless view.

Anyway ,whew..that is why I hate the hawks!
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Jul 21, 2014 at 1:21 AM ]

Agreed. Unfortunately the only reason the NFL is finally doing something about it is because of what a joke the SB was. The SB is broadcast globally, and they wanted the world to see Manning and that high-powered Denver offense. Instead they got the snot kicked out of them.

The funny thing is Seattle was going to kill them no matter what, holding or no holding. They completely dominated the LOS, and at that point it doesn't matter what's going on down the field.

True. Denver walked in totally unprepared. If thats what it took for the league to finally open their eyes then at least something good came out of the seahawks SB win
When a players shoulder pads are popping out of his jersey like our Wrs had to deal with and the reds not calling at LEAST a holding call is beyond me. This better change bc this is what really separates sea from us......aside from having a worse offense and defense (especially love when inferior teams like the Houston stl ariz tb even tenn give them such a tough time and we dominate those teams.....
I don't buy the fact that the Seahawks' secondary is so talented (Thomas is as good as it gets at the free safety position). The corners mug the receivers at the line disrupting the the play. This gives their front line that extra second or two to get to the QB. One of the major factors with this years' Seattle team will be the loss of Red Bryant. This guy was as important as anyone on the D-line. They will be vulnerable to the run with his immovable presence gone.

True. Denver walked in totally unprepared. If thats what it took for the league to finally open their eyes then at least something good came out of the seahawks SB win

I do agree that the SB is probably what pushed this over the edge but from what it sounds like MANY were complaining about it and it's generated the most attention during these meetings by far. So clearly, other coaches, GM's, etc. have voiced this lopsided biased unfair advantage to the point the refs must actually enforce their own (simple) rule and allow the NFL to get back to "pass happy."
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You mean Seattle's OL won't be able to continue blocking by dropping to the ground and looking for a knee to take out?

I'll have to admit, it's going to be real fun to watch Marshawn cut back with Willis still on his feet. Just ask AP about how those hits feel.
Share 49ersWebzone