There are 147 users in the forums

Williams, Bowman and now, Sherman Rule

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
They can't enforce them to the letter, it is impossible.

How can you tell from 15 yards away whether or not two athletes sprinting next to each other are interfering with each other? It is pure guesswork.

Sherman gets his grabs in very quickly, you can't clearly see it, that is why he gets away with it. A short, quick tug, will slow a receiver down just enough to impede his route, but it won't knock him off balance, so you won't actually see anything, the receiver will just look a little bit slower moving.

C mon Brian, you're smarter than that. You don't let your eyes lie to you--that simple
Originally posted by WINiner:
If it is obvious to me at home, I am sure a ref will see the majority.

It's only obvious to us at home, because we have a camera angle above the play, and slow motion replays. You can't throw a red flag for a pass interference that was not called, no matter how obvious it was on the replay.

Don't know about you, but I see that s**t live and scream at the refs as the play is going on.(And I know Im not the only one.) The fact is-or hopefully 'was'-is that defenders pushed the limits with the refs, figuring that the officials cant call every hold and contact. It doesn't matter how subtle and short the contact was, the illegal contact has been caught with the naked eye, even though the refs sometimes didn't MAKE the call that they should've... for many unknown reasons.

Maybe this issue is exactly what Mike Pierra is talking about cleaning up
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Jul 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]
My guess is that this will be called heavily during the regular season, and maybe even early in the playoffs, but it won't be called where it really counts....on the final play throw to the endzone. I have a hard time believing that any ref is going to pull the flag if a DB grabs Crabs in the endzone on the final play, ala Raven v 49ers Superbowl. I hope they prove me wrong!
Go to the NFL forum...Hawk thread. The gif's are in there. There is grabbing and there is holding and then there is prison rapes. The Hawks specialize in prison raping. It is NOT hard to see esp. when it continues on for 30-40 yards and even after the whistle.
Hope they are true with this & continue & enforce it hard on the teams who really do it all game & season long.
F & G... not the thread, the NFL's stance on anything.
It is interesting that every time we play the Seahawks the NFL has to make a rule change. Those punks are constantly bending the rules. They still have to address how they purposely batted the ball forward after a blocked punt in Week 14. Yet another loophole in the rules the Seahawks took advantage of.

In regards to the holding past 5 yards, the NFL is just reacting to the blowout in SB 48. That's not why Seattle won the game, they were the superior team, but it took an ass kicking to their dear golden child Manning for them to finally enforce the f**king rules.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Go to the NFL forum...Hawk thread. The gif's are in there. There is grabbing and there is holding and then there is prison rapes. The Hawks specialize in prison raping. It is NOT hard to see esp. when it continues on for 30-40 yards and even after the whistle.

This is what makes it so infuriating. It was never even close, it's 70's style pass defense and it was rarely if ever called on Seattle.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by NCommand:

This is what makes it so infuriating. It was never even close, it's 70's style pass defense and it was rarely if ever called on Seattle.

Well the good news is that enough coaches and GM's b***hed about it and the NFL is finally considering enforcing their very own rule. What I don't understand is how teams like the Hawks & Ravens were ever allowed to do this DURING the time the NFL was trying to make it a pass happy league. Teams were forced to draft smaller and quicker "cover corners." They were allowed to go against the grain and landscape.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
......in short, Seattle will not be a Super Bowl repeat.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Seattle wont change their tactics one bit. They'd rather get the penalties than get burnt over the top. Dont blame em.

It's only obvious to us at home, because we have a camera angle above the play, and slow motion replays. You can't throw a red flag for a pass interference that was not called, no matter how obvious it was on the replay.

I am talking during the play and many times plays that are away from the focus of the camera. Not during replays in slow mo. You are just arguing to do so at this point.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Seattle wont change their tactics one bit. They'd rather get the penalties than get burnt over the top. Dont blame em.

I agree, but it will extend drives for their opponents. That could be enough to tip the scales from 13-3 to 10-6, and in our division, that may not make the playoffs.

I am talking during the play and many times plays that are away from the focus of the camera. Not during replays in slow mo. You are just arguing to do so at this point.

I am arguing because I believe the NFL is just shifting responsibility to the officials.

Letting s**t roll downhill is not how you resolve problems, in fact, that is how you create more problems. The NFL, instead, needs to reexamine the rules for pass interference and how they are called and penalized.

Perhaps they should allow judgement calls to be challenged? Perhaps they should make pass interference a spot foul only up to 15 yards, just like in college. Because if you make the penalty less severe, the officials will be able to make a call on it more easily.

Just look at how soccer works. It is the perfect example of how screwed up you can make a game, when the penalties are too severe.
When a player is fouled in the box, it is a penalty shot. That penalty is so severe, it is like awarding 2 touchdowns. Because it is so severe, the official will be less inclined to make a PROPER ruling.

If they instead, did it like the NHL, or the NBA, where the penalty is not as severe, the officials will be much more inclined to try and call the game as accurately as possible. When the penalty is TOO severe, they are afraid to make the call.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

They would change their tactics if the officials awarded 5-6 50 yard penalties a game, but the officials will never do that, so therefore, Seattle will never change their tactics.
Share 49ersWebzone