LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

willis and bowman rated 2 and 3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bowman due to injury i can see rated 3rd best. But no way in hell is willis second to luke keuchly. Willis bam bam 52 (nickname by ochocinco) played with a groin strain, and beasted on field. He slowed down? We shall see thks upcoming season. And best of wishes to bowman on speedy recovery. Niners aint screwing around, we retooled and ready to go.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365991/article/buckys-best-luke-kuechly-paces-nfls-top-inside-linebackers

Mods if this aint worthy of thread feel free to merge. goniners!!!

3) NaVorro Bowman, San Francisco 49ers: Despite suffering a devastating knee injury in the NFC Championship Game that could sideline him until the middle of the 2014 season, Bowman demands inclusion here. Prior to the injury, he arguably had surpassed Patrick Willis as the premier player on the 49ers' defense after totaling 145 tackles, five sacks, four forced fumbles and two interceptions in 2013. Bowman displayed outstanding instincts, awareness and physicality supporting the run, yet he was agile enough to stick with tight ends and running backs down the seam. He also showcased fantastic diagnostic skills in breaking down routes, which is why he was routinely in position to snag interceptions off tips and overthrows. Bowman's recovery obviously looms large, but it's hard to bet against this 26-year-old with three straight first-team All-Pro nods to his name.

2) Patrick Willis, San Francisco 49ers: With five first-team All-Pro notches on his belt, Willis has been a marquee player at the position since stepping into the league in 2007. Possessing exceptional speed, quickness and burst as a sideline-to-sideline playmaker, he has racked up 100-plus tackles in six of his seven NFL seasons. This is a punishing tackler with a knack for delivering teeth-rattling shots to runners in the hole. Although Willis seemingly has lost a step in coverage, he remains an effective player on passing downs due to his superb instincts and recognition. The 49ers also use him on a variety of A-gap blitzes designed to take advantage of his aggressiveness as a rusher (... while masking some of his growing shortcomings in coverage). With Bowman rehabbing from serious injury, Willis gets a slight nod over his linebacking cohort.

1) Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers: The 2012 Defensive Rookie of the Year and 2013 Defensive Player of the Year is the NFL's premier inside linebacker, with back-to-back seasons of 150-plus tackles to open up his professional career. Kuechly is starting to redefine the position with his remarkable instincts, non-stop motor and penchant for playmaking in the middle. Although his spectacular tackling production leads some observers to view him primarily as a run stopper, it is his standout skills in pass coverage that separate him from the rest of the pack. Kuechly has a terrific feel for reading routes and anticipating throws, as evidenced by his six picks and 15 passes defensed in 32 career games. Given the pass-happy nature of the NFL, Kuechly's terrific ballhawking skills help make him the new standard-bearer at the position.
[ Edited by frankie on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:25 AM ]
hate to admit it but Keuchly is ballin. I didn't want to admit it last year but the proof is in the pudding, dudes a monster.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
hate to admit it but Keuchly is ballin. I didn't want to admit it last year but the proof is in the pudding, dudes a monster.

He is very good player. But imo he is not on level of neither willis nor bowman. Tho different defenses 3-4 to 4-3
If bowman doesnt get hurt you believe keuchly still gets mvp? Respect your opinon either way!
Originally posted by frankie:

He is very good player. But imo he is not on level of neither willis nor bowman. Tho different defenses 3-4 to 4-3
If bowman doesnt get hurt you believe keuchly still gets mvp? Respect your opinon either way!

Defensive player of yr award meant. Lol wouldn't let me edit

no, I agree with, just saying he deserves credit.

make no mistake about it....

this motherf**ker right here....

is the best ILB in the game today BAR NONE....

I pray to God everyday that he comes back to 100% this season....
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Meh, Kuechly is a really good player, but the dude gets way more credit than he should.

no, I agree with, just saying he deserves credit.

make no mistake about it....

this motherf**ker right here....

is the best ILB in the game today BAR NONE....

I pray to God everyday that he comes back to 100% this season....

Rite on, willis will shine this yr. No more groin injury, once we face seattle on thanksgiving bow shoud be back!!!
Tho id put willis n bowman as 1a and 1b imo.

Goniners
[ Edited by frankie on Jul 19, 2014 at 8:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Janitor:
Meh, Kuechly is a really good player, but the dude gets way more credit than he should.

Yup, i'd take either of our 2 allpro badass's any day lf the week in willis and bowman! This list didnt mention willis covering slot recievers, tightends nor running backs. Whilst fighting a lingering groin injury!! Luke is very good player, tho over rated a tad.
Kuechly is overrated
Dumb argument... Like saying Urlacker was better than Lewis...

Who cares? All three guys are exceptional. The numerical rankings are dumb, especially while trying to compare different defenses (3-4 vs 4-3). The tiered method is better and all three are on the highest tier.

This.

The list is backwards.

1. Bowman
2. Willis
3. Keuchly

The only reason this article says Keuchly is the best is because they gave him the Defensive MVP last season, which was a joke in itself. Everyone was surprised by that, but if it was going to be a linebacker, it should have been Bowman and it isn't close.

And where the hell are they getting this BS about Willis falling off in his coverage?
[ Edited by Empire49 on Jul 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM ]

This
Originally posted by Empire49:

This.

The list is backwards.

1. Bowman
2. Willis
3. Keuchly

The only reason this article says Keuchly is the best is because they gave him the Defensive MVP last season, which was a joke in itself. Everyone was surprised by that, but if it was going to be a linebacker, it should have been Bowman and it isn't close.

And where the hell are they getting this BS about Willis falling off in his coverage?

Agree.. 1. Bowman
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Kuechly would be Michael Wilhoite on the 49ers; a backup.
Arguing number one versus two or three when your rating 30+ players is kind of absurd, but let me play devil's advocate for a sec. I see it;

1. Bowman

2. Luke

3. Kiko

4. Willis

Simply because I think all three are better in coverage than Willis. Sure Pat is a better tackler and pass rusher, but with the game being so spread out, I would rather have the better coverage guy than the better pass rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone