LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Salary cap distribution and why the Niners will not re sign both Iupati and Boone, only on

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Getting Boone inked is the smart move.

He can play both Guard and Tackle at a high level.

The 49ers prize versatility.

I just hope Boone doesn't let his "ego" get in the way of a smart decision. VD has come to camp - Boone should man-up and contracts will sort themselves out.
We don't even know how much these guys want.
Iupati won't be re-signed...just too expensive (thanks one last time to the bonehead Titans for giving Andy Levitre @ $47M). Thomas or Looney can fill the LG position. If Boone continues his holdout, Looney may take over at RG and Thomas becomes the LG next season. Jonathan Martin could figure in that mix, too. Dude can play, he was in a horrible situation in Miami.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It pretty clear that we wil

disagre
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It pretty clear that we wil

disagre

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:
Originally posted by Baldie:
I just hope they resign Crabs. I think the WR core takes a hit if Crab leaves.

I would sign and trade him.

I think this is the game plan. If any of the youngsters show promise, and the coaching staff determine we won't lose much with one of the young players, Boone is probably gone. The only way to determine that, though, is to play the youngsters a lot in pre-season. The best thing for Boone to do is end his holdout so the 49ers don't really have the opportunity to test out the younger players and see whether Boone is replaceable or not. Boone is making a real big mistake if he wants to stay with the 49ers, but a real brilliant move if he wants to be traded and get paid more money.
in a couple of years, there are some big salaries that will fall away. cowboy, boldin and gore should free up some dollars.
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Boone, hands down; Iupati holds too much.

f**k boone...iupati has heart, respect from his teammates
I know Baalke is publicly saying that the team wants to resign Iupati and Crabtree, but I would be downright flabbergasted if Iupati is retained. I mean, of course Baalke is going to say that they want to keep Iupati. What sort of message would it send to the fans if he said, "you know, we love Iupati as a player, but he's not elite in pass protection and so I don't think we can justify giving him a monster contract. We're going to let him walk and pick up a compensation pick." He's just paying fans lip service by saying we're going to try hard to keep both. I truly think the writing is on the wall with him.

However, I do think there's a strong chance we make a real, concerted effort to retain Crabtree. I think they'll do everything in their power to retain him. Crabtree is a pretty damn good receiver, and receivers of that caliber are much more difficult to come by than guards, which are easier to find.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I know Baalke is publicly saying that the team wants to resign Iupati and Crabtree, but I would be downright flabbergasted if Iupati is retained. I mean, of course Baalke is going to say that they want to keep Iupati. What sort of message would it send to the fans if he said, "you know, we love Iupati as a player, but he's not elite in pass protection and so I don't think we can justify giving him a monster contract. We're going to let him walk and pick up a compensation pick." He's just paying fans lip service by saying we're going to try hard to keep both. I truly think the writing is on the wall with him.

However, I do think there's a strong chance we make a real, concerted effort to retain Crabtree. I think they'll do everything in their power to retain him. Crabtree is a pretty damn good receiver, and receivers of that caliber are much more difficult to come by than guards, which are easier to find.

I respectfully disagree on Crabtree. I love Crabtree, however if he is not healthy, he is not helping the team. How come Rice, John Taylor and others can stay healthy, and every camp Crabtree goes down with a foot, achilles, or a mystery injury like yesterday???

He is elite, but not worth elite money, his number and games played show that also.

I think it's pretty funny when fans discuss the salary cap as if anyone of them really know the subject. Nobody on this forum can intelligently discuss it because there are so many creative financing techniques available. Deferred compensation, bonuses, bonds, etc. For instance, take the Stevie Johnson trade. The 49ers have to pay his bonus and his salary for 3 seasonsn but NOT A PENNY counts against the NIners salary cap. The deal was that we took him off their hands but the annual salary cap hit goes against the Bills, not the 49ers. That's the kind of creative genius we have lurking behind the curtain. I will never underestimate Jed York when Uncle Eddie is his personal consultant.
I think injuries during the season will have a HUGE impact on any resignings.

Crabs has an injury history and IF he gets injured again this season then his $ leverage w/us will be in question. In his case, injured or not I feel he'll test the FA waters.

Iupati has been getting injured so I feel he's less valuable than Boone who hasn't missed a game. Also, Iupati without question will try to get top dollar. I would too if I were a player.

IMO, Boone is the VERY best option.

JMartin seems to be getting his butt kicked in camp from what I've been reading so he's a weak OT replacement.

As time goes by, Boone can move to LT, Staley to RT and ADavis to RG.

As usual, nothing but conjecture. I'm still hoping Boone gets into camp sooner than later.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
I think it's pretty funny when fans discuss the salary cap as if anyone of them really know the subject. Nobody on this forum can intelligently discuss it because there are so many creative financing techniques available. Deferred compensation, bonuses, bonds, etc. For instance, take the Stevie Johnson trade. The 49ers have to pay his bonus and his salary for 3 seasonsn but NOT A PENNY counts against the NIners salary cap. The deal was that we took him off their hands but the annual salary cap hit goes against the Bills, not the 49ers. That's the kind of creative genius we have lurking behind the curtain. I will never underestimate Jed York when Uncle Eddie is his personal consultant.

Don't underestimate the knowledge in this area around here. There are some guys who are incredibly knowledgeable—especially AB81Rules. He's been the zone's resident capologist for years. Check out his site... http://ninercaphell.com/
Originally posted by ghostrider:

Don't underestimate the knowledge in this area around here. There are some guys who are incredibly knowledgeable—especially AB81Rules. He's been the zone's resident capologist for years. Check out his site... http://ninercaphell.com/

Thanks Ghostrider, appreciate the shoutout. I try my best.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by ghostrider:

Thanks Ghostrider, appreciate the shoutout. I try my best.

No prob, bro. You earned it and then some.
Share 49ersWebzone