There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Salary cap distribution and why the Niners will not re sign both Iupati and Boone, only on

The average NFL team spends 18% of their cap space on OL. with a 122 million dollar cap, the niners would need to spend about 22 million a year on OL salaries to be within the norm. The good news is the FO has locked up both OT's until 2019 and the center spot is locked up until 2018. That leaves the Niners with Iupati coming up in 2015 and Boone in 2016.

The Niners can only afford to keep ONE of these fine elite OG's. Otherwise their salary cap distribution would be too heavily towards OL. I think THIS is the main reason BOONE is holding out, he wants to get paid now, and be part of the Niners. This would ensure Boone is around for hopefully the super bowl runs and Iupati will have to go in FA.

I actually would prefer Boone over Iupati as he can be the back up swing tackle if he needed to be.

This is just my opinion. But I do believe the niners cannot afford both Boone and Iupati.
It pretty clear that we wil
At this point, Iupati hasn't held out, so he may be the one in line for the contract.
Originally posted by 9erred:

This is just my opinion. But I do believe the niners cannot afford both Boone and Iupati.

I think this is true. Brandon Thomas, come on down!
I agree. I don't think there's any way to pay 4 lineman upper echelon money and still have funds for the rest of the team.
Originally posted by Disp:
I agree. I don't think there's any way to pay 4 lineman upper echelon money and still have funds for the rest of the team.

You where much more concise than me. Totally agree that 4 OL cannot get upper echelon money. It would throw off the salary cap distribution way too much.
Boone, hands down; Iupati holds too much.
The average NFL team spends 18% of their cap space on OL. with a 122 million dollar cap, the niners would need to spend about 22 million a year on OL salaries to be within the norm. The good news is the FO has locked up both OT's until 2019 and the center spot is locked up until 2018. That leaves the Niners with Iupati coming up in 2015 and Boone in 2016.

The Niners can only afford to keep ONE of these fine elite OG's. Otherwise their salary cap distribution would be too heavily towards OL. I think THIS is the main reason BOONE is holding out, he wants to get paid now, and be part of the Niners. This would ensure Boone is around for hopefully the super bowl runs and Iupati will have to go in FA.

I actually would prefer Boone over Iupati as he can be the back up swing tackle if he needed to be.

The expected salary cap for 2015 is closer to 140 million or more; not the 122 million you posted. That changes the parameters; by your calculations, the team would have closer to 25-26 million (or more) to spend on the OL.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:

The expected salary cap for 2015 is closer to 140 million or more; not the 122 million you posted. That changes the parameters; by your calculations, the team would have closer to 25-26 million (or more) to spend on the OL.

Those are projections. I think the 49ers front office is going to be very conservative and use numbers that are much lower than the projected cap. That way if they are wrong, they are wrong on the good side not the bad side. Which means 9erred has some insightful points.
I don't think at any point in time was it in the cards to sign both of our guards. One, because it's too expensive. Two, we wouldn't be in a position to extend our younger players when their deals are up. Three, if they were going to extend Iupati, I think they would've done it already. Iupati has looked the better out of he and Anthony Davis, but Davis was given the extension first. In my opinion, its because tackles are harder to find than guards. If Boone gets his head on straight, he'll get that extension because well have the luxury of having three starting caliber tackles locked up for awhile, with the third one signed for average guard money.
Before the draft, Iupati's fate was up in the air. It looked like we'd probably keep one of Crabtree / Iupati. After the selections of Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin, it now looks like Iupati's fate is sealed: he's gone. He's not an elite pass protector, so we're not going to make him one of the highest-paid guards in football. Someone else will.
I'll try to trust the Front Office to make the correct decision if it's going to be only one or the other.

My hope is that when push comes to shove, they both decide that they like the Team, the Bay Area, their Families have started to set down roots, and they are willing to take less than Max contracts for their positions.

I know I could have a decent lifestyle if I earned a meager 20-40 Million $$$$ (or more) over a 10 year span. If they spend their entire careers here and the team remains successful throughout, they will be big time local celebrities with ample career options after they finish playing. When you change teams every few years, not so much.
Boone will be resigned and we'll let Iupati go. He always seems to get injured during big games anyways.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I'll try to trust the Front Office to make the correct decision if it's going to be only one or the other.

My hope is that when push comes to shove, they both decide that they like the Team, the Bay Area, their Families have started to set down roots, and they are willing to take less than Max contracts for their positions.

I know I could have a decent lifestyle if I earned a meager 20-40 Million $$$$ (or more) over a 10 year span. If they spend their entire careers here and the team remains successful throughout, they will be big time local celebrities with ample career options after they finish playing. When you change teams every few years, not so much.
The front office - so far - has made very good decisions regarding the O-line. So I trust them too. If your team is winning 12+ games a year, that team is an above average team and there should be several athletes on that team that are underpaid when compared to teams winning less. So it makes sense to let go good players to stabilize the cap and retain the core players that you need in your particular system you run.

I think the other reason is to trade depth for draft picks. In that sense you are trading now for the future. One way to beat the cap is to have good coaches (like our O-line coach) that can develop UDFA's into good players so you can get higher quality draft picks (by trading that underpaid player) to get even higher quality raw athletes that have an even higher ceiling than the one you had to let go.

It's almost like aerial dogfighting, where you trade altitude for speed, and visa - versa to gain a competitive advantage in the fight.
I just hope they resign Crabs. I think the WR core takes a hit if Crab leaves.