LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 375 users in the forums

6 WRs to be kept

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by paulk205:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Lloyd isn't in competition with Johnson. Lloyd's in a competition for the 52nd or 53rd roster spot with Osgood and other special teams players.

He is in competition for the GAMEDAY 46. If he's not there he gets cut. Same for Osgood.The Inactive Seven are usually developmental types too good to be risked in the PS (or ineligible). Or players recovering from in-season injury.

The only way Lloyd sticks is through a TC injury (touch wood) or if one of the two youngsters or Johnson underperforms terribly. To go back to the OP, I see us play our usual "Crab/Boldin with Vernon for speed" game, with Johnson in to spell the top 2 receivers, and in the extremely rare case we ever play with 3 WR (and don't just keep it on a draw like we do 99% of the time) the non-inactive youngster streaks (and never gets thrown the ball as Crabtree is only double covered and Kaep is just SURE he can squeeze it in to him)

That's a good read on the player competition. I'll buy what you are selling!
Originally posted by crake49:
IMO, the guy who is going to have the hardest time making the final roster unless there are injuries is Lloyd. I'm not sure why anyone around here thinks Lloyd should be on the roster rather than SJ, Patton or Ellington. He's always good for some sensational circus catches, but he won't block and if you blow on him he goes down. Patton has already shown himself to be clutch when healthy. Plus, most people don't seem to get this, but Patton is wicked quick. His 20-yard shuttle time at the combine was basically the same as Tavon Austin. And Ellington may not have taken a snap yet, but at this point, he's a lock because they need to find out what they have in him.

I read quotes like this and it becomes obvious that most fans have no clue as to what Brandon Lloyd brings to the 49ers. He's rested, still has good speed, and has great hands, lots of experience, and can out-jump DBs with ease. That's what makes him so valuable to the Niners -- his Red Zone ability. Patrick Willis was so impressed by him that he said he expects him to make big plays for the Niners. Patrick isn't some guy sitting on a couch expressing an opinion. He said he was shocked at how good Lloyd is at getting separation and at his leaping ability. Most people aren't aware that he still holds his high school record in the high jump at 7'2".

On Wednesday, Kaepernick threw a variety of fades, slants and back-shoulder throws to veterans Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin and Brandon Lloyd in the end zone while the rest of the team was on another field working on special teams.

Kaepernick and Lloyd, who signed this offseason as a free agent, were seen discussing the various aspects of the plays. A short time later during an 11-on-11 session in the red zone, Kaepernick hooked up with Lloyd for a touchdown.

Kaepernick appears to have built good chemistry with Lloyd in a short period of time. Lloyd, 32, did not play last season. In his previous three seasons, he caught a combined 20 touchdown passes in stints with Denver, St. Louis and New England.

"Well, I think that's something that we know we've struggled with here, the red zone," Kaepernick said. "And that's something we're constantly trying to improve. He's had success down there, so if there's something we can pick up from him, how he runs routes, how he sets things up, that's something we want to take and try to make ours."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/kaepernick-turns-lloyd-fix-struggles-red-zone
Osgood is a ST beast. If someone emerges as a solid ST option, he will be gone. Ellington makes the team. Crabs, Boldin, Johnson start. Thats 4 right there. I still think the niners like Patton, and he has flashed some talent. Thats 5. Lloyd is the wildcard. I dont think he makes the team though.
Jon Baldwin just needs a soul transplant and he'd be at the top of the depth chart.
Originally posted by paulk205:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Lloyd isn't in competition with Johnson. Lloyd's in a competition for the 52nd or 53rd roster spot with Osgood and other special teams players.

He is in competition for the GAMEDAY 46. If he's not there he gets cut. Same for Osgood.The Inactive Seven are usually developmental types too good to be risked in the PS (or ineligible). Or players recovering from in-season injury.

The only way Lloyd sticks is through a TC injury (touch wood) or if one of the two youngsters or Johnson underperforms terribly. To go back to the OP, I see us play our usual "Crab/Boldin with Vernon for speed" game, with Johnson in to spell the top 2 receivers, and in the extremely rare case we ever play with 3 WR (and don't just keep it on a draw like we do 99% of the time) the non-inactive youngster streaks (and never gets thrown the ball as Crabtree is only double covered and Kaep is just SURE he can squeeze it in to him)

THIS is the truth. If you are WR's #4-6 you better be a young, developmenting WR or ST ace. Lloyd is neither.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
I read quotes like this and it becomes obvious that most fans have no clue as to what Brandon Lloyd brings to the 49ers. He's rested, still has good speed, and has great hands, lots of experience, and can out-jump DBs with ease. That's what makes him so valuable to the Niners -- his Red Zone ability. Patrick Willis was so impressed by him that he said he expects him to make big plays for the Niners. Patrick isn't some guy sitting on a couch expressing an opinion. He said he was shocked at how good Lloyd is at getting separation and at his leaping ability. Most people aren't aware that he still holds his high school record in the high jump at 7'2".

On Wednesday, Kaepernick threw a variety of fades, slants and back-shoulder throws to veterans Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin and Brandon Lloyd in the end zone while the rest of the team was on another field working on special teams.

Kaepernick and Lloyd, who signed this offseason as a free agent, were seen discussing the various aspects of the plays. A short time later during an 11-on-11 session in the red zone, Kaepernick hooked up with Lloyd for a touchdown.

Kaepernick appears to have built good chemistry with Lloyd in a short period of time. Lloyd, 32, did not play last season. In his previous three seasons, he caught a combined 20 touchdown passes in stints with Denver, St. Louis and New England.

"Well, I think that's something that we know we've struggled with here, the red zone," Kaepernick said. "And that's something we're constantly trying to improve. He's had success down there, so if there's something we can pick up from him, how he runs routes, how he sets things up, that's something we want to take and try to make ours."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/kaepernick-turns-lloyd-fix-struggles-red-zone

This is why Lloyd is here...to help mentor the young guys like Boldin last year...and for insurance in case of another early injury. That said, if he makes the team and cracks the #3 spot over Johnson, Ellington and Patton, he'll have earned it, no doubt!
People forget that Lloyd let the entire NFL in receiving in 2010. I see him making the team and being a definite threat, even if used sparingly which I'm sure will be the case. His experience will be invaluable to the Niners. A perfect example of his Red Zone ability is at 1:40 of this video and I am sure that this is why Kap is excited to have him. Here's a reminder of his abilities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3XbN3iNEs8
[ Edited by kezarvet49 on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM ]
I also read the Barrows article on how well Lloyd was doing in the red zone during OTA's and I agree with Command that his experience is valuable in terms of mentoring. And I agree that he's always good for fabulous circus catches. My skepticism is based on just a couple of things: there is no contact in OTA's. I'm going to reserve judgement on Lloyd until people have seen him working in pads and full contact situations. His inability and unwillingness to block are well established. Maybe he's changed. We'll see. The other thing that worries me about Lloyd is his mindset - will he accept a situation where he is not always a prime target and is sometimes a decoy without becoming an emotional negative on the team? Again, we'll see. I hope I'm completely wrong to be skeptical about him and that he absolutely tears it up this year and becomes the comeback player of the year.
We will re-sign Lloyd if there is a mid season injury
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
CSN Bay Area suggests Stevie Johnson will have to "clearly" win the No. 3 receiver job due to his scheduled $3.925 million salary.

Johnson is competing for No. 3 duties behind Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin. Rookie Bruce Ellington, sophomore Quinton Patton, and veteran Brandon Lloyd are also in the mix, and all make considerably less money than Johnson. Whoever wins the No. 3 job is highly unlikely to be fantasy relevant as the No. 4 option in the passing game. Johnson is no lock for the 53-man roster.

People have to be kidding me reporting crap like this. Are they serious, Johnson is no lock to make the 53 man roster who they traded away a 4th round pick for and is just as good if not better than Crabtree!!!

Originally posted by Kolohe:
CSN Bay Area suggests Stevie Johnson will have to "clearly" win the No. 3 receiver job due to his scheduled $3.925 million salary.

Johnson is competing for No. 3 duties behind Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin. Rookie Bruce Ellington, sophomore Quinton Patton, and veteran Brandon Lloyd are also in the mix, and all make considerably less money than Johnson. Whoever wins the No. 3 job is highly unlikely to be fantasy relevant as the No. 4 option in the passing game. Johnson is no lock for the 53-man roster.

People have to be kidding me reporting crap like this. Are they serious, Johnson is no lock to make the 53 man roster who they traded away a 4th round pick for and is just as good if not better than Crabtree!!!

Second that. Three 1000 yard seasons out of the last four, a unique ability to shake-and-bake off the line eluding big physical corners. Give me a break. Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton and Ellington are all on the roster barring injury. The only question in my mind is whether the sixth is Lloyd or Osgood. I think it's going to be Lloyd.
Well, I guess I am going to be disappointed then, because I think Baldwin still has a shot. As far as Osgood, once again we get into Coach H's glaring weakness...not knowing what he has on the roster. The one pass Osgood caught last yr was completely unexpected by everyone in the stadium. But he caught it ...but that was it IIRC. And this kid should have been getting some chances when we got up on some weaker teams by 20 pts or so. Put him in there. Find out what he has...or doesn't. But don't leave him untested an untried except on ST when we could very easily have found him a dozen or so balls last yr... once again, just like LMJ, we never tried him to see what he could do. Good as Coach H is, this is a misstep he continues to make...and it is maddening. KNOW YOUR TEAM. Jim Harbaugh just doesn't see it that way. I know this. If this were BW's team, he darn well would know what each and every guy could give us. But when JH doesn't even give guys a shot...eg, bailout passes to LMJ, or passes for Osgood, he may very well cut a guy who has terrific talent, but never got to show it based on coaching decisions. Coach doesn't have many flaws, but this is one.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, I guess I am going to be disappointed then, because I think Baldwin still has a shot. As far as Osgood, once again we get into Coach H's glaring weakness...not knowing what he has on the roster. The one pass Osgood caught last yr was completely unexpected by everyone in the stadium. But he caught it ...but that was it IIRC. And this kid should have been getting some chances when we got up on some weaker teams by 20 pts or so. Put him in there. Find out what he has...or doesn't. But don't leave him untested an untried except on ST when we could very easily have found him a dozen or so balls last yr... once again, just like LMJ, we never tried him to see what he could do. Good as Coach H is, this is a misstep he continues to make...and it is maddening. KNOW YOUR TEAM. Jim Harbaugh just doesn't see it that way. I know this. If this were BW's team, he darn well would know what each and every guy could give us. But when JH doesn't even give guys a shot...eg, bailout passes to LMJ, or passes for Osgood, he may very well cut a guy who has terrific talent, but never got to show it based on coaching decisions. Coach doesn't have many flaws, but this is one.

Osgood is no spring chicken. I think the entire NFL is aware of what he has as a receiver. He's going into his 12th year. He does not fall into the same category as LaMichael James. A better argument could be made for using Patton once he was healthy, or using any of the backs not named Bruce Miller to catch passes. I definitely get your argument though.
I wouldn't count Lloyd out...he's got fresh legs after a year out of the game. He gets open, he catches the ball and makes plays. Have to remember, just two seasons ago he had these numbers: 74 rec, 911 yds. Since 2010, he's avg. just under 74 rec and 1108 yds in three seasons w/Denver (pre-Manning), Rams and NE. That's very good production...and IMHO he'll be hard to keep off the roster.
I am now thinking we end up cutting Lloyd, if hes far down the depth chart and not getting the ball I could see him being a negative influence/distraction to the locker room..

I think we go 6.

Crab
Boldin
Stevie-J
Patton
Ellington
Osgood
Share 49ersWebzone