LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

6 WRs to be kept

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
^^ instead of Smith, I think you meant Johnson...

And I highly doubt we sign a player off waivers; we'll be low on waiver priority and I really doubt there's a player out there that will be cut by another team that could be out anyone we're considering for our 53.

I doubt it too, but stranger things have happened. If the squad gets decimated by early injuries, it could play out a lot of ways.

Yes, I meant Johnson. I should never post before metabolizing coffee...or after a pitcher of margaritas...

Speaking of Johnson, Grant Cohn touches on him in his latest blog, where he points out (accurately) that Johnson's skill set is basically the same as Crabtree's and Boldin's: he's a good route-running possession receiver who doesn't have blazing speed. When the Niners acquired him, I didn't see him as the #3 slot receiver, but as the guy who would spell Crabtree and Boldin, and step in if there's an injury. It always seemed to me that the Niners would rather have Ellington or Patton in the slot than Johnson. I'm guessing he sees plenty of snaps during the season, just not while both the starting outside receivers are in the game.

Whether that's true or not, I put ZERO stock into anything Grant Cohn says. He is absolutely clueless and it's beyond me how he is a professional sportswriter..or writer in general.

This.

That.
At this point I think Lloyd has a better chance to make the roster than Stevie. Stevie already pulled a hamstring. The guy hasn't been healthy in 3 years. Nice thought by Baalke not a bad idea but it's never a good sign when a WR goes down with a hamstring in OTAs and it's the same leg that has bothered him the last 2 years. Colin needs WRs to practice with not just suit up on game days. IMO if Lloyd is healthy and Johnson isn't you keep Lloyd and cut Stevie. They got the 4th rd pick they traded for him back anyway.
Giedi, in grant's case, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Don't know if you read the beat writers in the late 70's but Lowell it was rare when he had a good word for Joe. I actually thot he didn't like the 49ers either. I ultimately quit reading the Chronicle and ahem, there was no WZ in those days..no computers to speak of either(iphone, ipad, pcs on your desk, etc). So if you didn't get the chronicle, you got nada. But that was better than reading Lowell...and others.

And for the record, I hope it isn't Lloyd, because I want young guys with longer career to win out. Still if Lloyd beats patton, I will be disappointed.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM ]
Just for the record I hate Cohn and his kid. I agree with the guy who said he doesn't think Grant likes what he does. I agree totally. Last year during the draft we were doomed because we didn't get a slot corner. Austin and Harvin were going to kill us. He's a moron and his father asks the dumbest questions during press conferences. I wish Harbaugh would punch him in the face.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
At this point I think Lloyd has a better chance to make the roster than Stevie. Stevie already pulled a hamstring. The guy hasn't been healthy in 3 years. Nice thought by Baalke not a bad idea but it's never a good sign when a WR goes down with a hamstring in OTAs and it's the same leg that has bothered him the last 2 years. Colin needs WRs to practice with not just suit up on game days. IMO if Lloyd is healthy and Johnson isn't you keep Lloyd and cut Stevie. They got the 4th rd pick they traded for him back anyway.

lol. Just no. The Stevie pick up was the best move of the offseason.
Originally posted by Phil:

2nd best IMO. Marcus Martin was the best offseason move. Weakest starting position on the team instantly becomes a strength!
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Giedi, in grant's case, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Don't know if you read the beat writers in the late 70's but Lowell it was rare when he had a good word for Joe. I actually thot he didn't like the 49ers either. I ultimately quit reading the Chronicle and ahem, there was no WZ in those days..no computers to speak of either(iphone, ipad, pcs on your desk, etc). So if you didn't get the chronicle, you got nada. But that was better than reading Lowell...and others.

And for the record, I hope it isn't Lloyd, because I want young guys with longer career to win out. Still if Lloyd beats patton, I will be disappointed.

Remember life before cell phones and the internet? What the hell did we do with ourselves?

Anyway, I think Lloyd gives us a better team this year. I want a SB ring NOW. I also dont think Patton and Ellington are the future at WR. We're going to have to draft more when/if we lose Crabtree/Boldin. Starting caliber no1 and no 2 WR's aren't so easy to find. I like what Patton has shown but it's too early to think of him as the future backbone of the 49ers receiving core. Ellington hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL. Having Lloyd on board this season will probably limit Patton/Ellingtons snaps, forsure but we know Lloyd can produce and that's what matters when making a SB run. I'd like to see him make the team for one season at least. If Crabtree walks I'd also like to see us draft a WR early in next years draft.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Phil:

2nd best IMO. Marcus Martin was the best offseason move. Weakest starting position on the team instantly becomes a strength!

If he wins the starting job and improves our lines pass protection sure but that's not a given and our offense struggled in 2013 largely because of the lack of viable WR's. Our line didn't do that great in pass protection either but having Crabtree, Boldin and Johnson is 15 trillion times better than Boldin, Williams and Osgood/Baldwin. Johnson is also key in games vs Seattle. He's shown he can work around Sherman's press (holding) coverage. Many NFL teams would kill for our current WR core. It's almost unfair.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
mccray and maybe someone else push out osgood. too much wr talent to keep osgood amid several quality db special teamers.
Almost all big plays, whether they come out of the passing game or the running game, require downfield blocking, and that comes from the guys that are down field, typically wide receivers. Lloyd can't or won't block aggressively. We know that this coaching staff puts a premium on blocking. I'd be amazed if Patton or Ellington were let go in favor of Lloyd. The only way Lloyd makes the team is by injury (ugh) or if his receiving is so lights out that they just can't part with him, and I think the latter is unlikely. I think he's here for injury insurance. Also with Kaep's new contract, we are going to see a strong bias toward the younger and cheaper players in every position for the foreseeable future, and I think this will be a reliable predictor in many roster battles to come.

Originally posted by BOI49er:
Almost all big plays, whether they come out of the passing game or the running game, require downfield blocking, and that comes from the guys that are down field, typically wide receivers. Lloyd can't or won't block aggressively. We know that this coaching staff puts a premium on blocking. I'd be amazed if Patton or Ellington were let go in favor of Lloyd. The only way Lloyd makes the team is by injury (ugh) or if his receiving is so lights out that they just can't part with him, and I think the latter is unlikely. I think he's here for injury insurance. Also with Kaep's new contract, we are going to see a strong bias toward the younger and cheaper players in every position for the foreseeable future, and I think this will be a reliable predictor in many roster battles to come.

You seriously need to post more! Well stated.
At this point, I'd prefer to just keep 5: Crabs, Bolden, Johnson, Patton and Ellington.

Lloyd I see as insurance if one of the top 3 Wrs get hurt AND Patton or Ellington don't step up. But he will help provide Kap quality reps throughout training camp. At 33, his best years are behind him.

Osgood is strictly a special teamer and at 34, his best days are behind him as well. With the team selecting so many draft picks, I'd put his chances of earning a spot at 10%. I just hope his veteran savvy rubs off on the youngsters.

With the draft being so deep at receiver this year, a lot of good ones will be cut and there's a good chance neither will be claimed immediately, allowing us to sign them or someone else if needed down the road.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BOI49er:

You seriously need to post more! Well stated.

Agreed.
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:

Stevie Johnson will be on the roster or on IR.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
I doubt it too, but stranger things have happened. If the squad gets decimated by early injuries, it could play out a lot of ways.

Yes, I meant Johnson. I should never post before metabolizing coffee...or after a pitcher of margaritas...

Speaking of Johnson, Grant Cohn touches on him in his latest blog, where he points out (accurately) that Johnson's skill set is basically the same as Crabtree's and Boldin's: he's a good route-running possession receiver who doesn't have blazing speed. When the Niners acquired him, I didn't see him as the #3 slot receiver, but as the guy who would spell Crabtree and Boldin, and step in if there's an injury. It always seemed to me that the Niners would rather have Ellington or Patton in the slot than Johnson. I'm guessing he sees plenty of snaps during the season, just not while both the starting outside receivers are in the game.

Don't read any Cohn articles, Lowell ir Grant. Trust me, they are bad for your brain.
Share 49ersWebzone