LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

6 WRs to be kept

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by mbig49er:
loyd makes the cut.... he is a very very tough wr to cover in the redzone...they keep 6 wrs and let osgood go.. but what do we know? lol!!!!!

Who do they sit on game day?

Lloyd
The way I look at it, Osgood, Lloyd and Baldwin are all fighting for that final spot.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
I'm torn between Lloyd and Osgood. If there's an injury to Boldin or Crabs we're going to wish we had Lloyd. If our special teams blows we're going to wish we had Osgood. if we want a superbowl this year Lloyd might actually help out in 4 WR sets and redzone situations. The man has skill, he's not a cream puff. I'd hate to see him go to the Rams.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
If no Osgood, who's replacing his production in ST?

Morris and Spillman will be gunners. And they're good gunners at that.
Crab Boldin Stevie are locks because they're that good. Patton and Ellington are locks because they could possibly be the future.

That leaves Osgood or Lloyd. I'm taking the guy that can actually play receiver. Idk where all you get this hate for Lloyd, maybe its because he tears us apart every time we play him, but the guy can play. If we have a receiver go down, which seems like a given these years, he's the one i want stepping in. I know all of you are banking on Patton, but he just gets way too much love. I want to see him develop as much as the next guy, but you can't convince me he's better than somebody that's been able to stick in the NFL (Not For Long) for a decade. Patton had like 1 catch in the playoffs. From what I've seen, he's just not there yet. Unless he took a crazy jump in his development, i want Lloyd on this team.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by lazy:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

If no Osgood, who's replacing his production in ST?

Good question. This will be a big training camp for Osgood and Bubba Ventrone. With Constanzo back, that helps some, but they also lost A. Dixon in free agency. There are plenty of DB options like James McCray or Kenneth Acker who have KR experience or guys like Duntae Johnson that could replace their production. Derek Carrier is also another option at TE. I think solid ST performances by those guys and a great camp/preseason by Lloyd could spell the end of Osgood as a Niner.
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington
Osgood

I strongly considered Lloyd since he's getting positive reviews, but ultimately felt Osgood's contributions on special teams are greater than whatever Lloyd can contribute as the 4th WR. Would also rather see Patton or Ellington get the 4th WR snaps. They can play, and need all the on-field experience they can get.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
Morris and Spillman will be gunners. And they're good gunners at that.

I could see this happening.
Originally posted by lazy:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

This
Just a few seasons ago, the talent level of the top three WR's equaled Baldwin, Jacobs, and Osgood. I think those three might have even started if they were on the team.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington
Osgood

I strongly considered Lloyd since he's getting positive reviews, but ultimately felt Osgood's contributions on special teams are greater than whatever Lloyd can contribute as the 4th WR. Would also rather see Patton or Ellington get the 4th WR snaps. They can play, and need all the on-field experience they can get.

See I like Osgood as well. ST's stud, but having said that I think the team is going to cave under the pressure of the under performing offense when compared to the defense. I think the team will keep productive players at all the O skill positions, and let the ST studs come from the defensive side of the ball in Blake, Bubba and Spillman.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington
Osgood

See I like Osgood as well. ST's stud, but having said that I think the team is going to cave under the pressure of the under performing offense when compared to the defense. I think the team will keep productive players at all the O skill positions, and let the ST studs come from the defensive side of the ball in Blake, Bubba and Spillman.

You certainly could be right about that. We already subtracted one offensive STer when Boobie Dixon left. Osgood might be the next to go. Still plenty of quality STers on the defensive side of the ball. Interesting to see how it all plays out.
Maybe they'll sneak one on IR and rotate as someone else needs a rest
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington
Osgood

This. Osgood can play WR as well and may be a decent RZ target with his height. He's just not used or needed in that capacity. I'm sure we'll keep Lloyd on speed dial if cut. I doubt anyone picks him up if we cut him late.
Originally posted by WINiner:

see, I don't think Blake or Bubba make the team. There's too much defensive talent on this team to carry 2 defensive palyers who don't play defense. Who would you cut to keep Blake: Willhoite, Moody, Borland? Who would you cut to keep Bubba: McCray, Dahl, Spillman?

With luck, McCray and Moody can step up to be ST studs that can offer something on D.
Share 49ersWebzone