There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

6 WRs to be kept

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
I like Quinton Patton, but if Jon Baldwin starts to show flashes in camp, I'd put him above Patton. Patton, Crabs and Stevie are the same type of receiver. If Baldwin shows his first round potential with a stable team and a top 10 QB for once in his career I think his upside will benefit us more. He'll be that big red zone target and the big burner we need to stretch the safeties.

If Jon Baldwin had Quinton Patton's heart and work ethic, he'd be a top receiver.

But it's all wishful thinking. If the FO believed Baldwin had it, they wouldn't have gotten Stevie.

I agree. I really want Baldwin to succeed because he brings an element that the WR corp lacks - immense size. Unfortunately, with that size he also brings a body that moves like molasses. He has zero to little explosion on the first step in and out of a cut. I don't know if he lacks technique, coaching, desire, or what. If he can just work on his burst, he can salvage his career. As of now, he's just a physical freak that took advantage of smaller, untrained college CBs to earn a first round selection. In the NFL, CBs overcome size mismatches with sound technique.

This is exactly how I see it as well...I don't have any film work on him from KC, just the film work you did for us here as a Niner. Hopefully, his lack of short area quickness was more of a reflection of him "thinking" on the field vs. just playing. Like McDonald this year as well, this off season could go a long ways towards really seeing the skill sets of these two...and many others as well. While there are only a few starting spots up for granbs, b/c of this reason, this is probably the most exciting camp I can remember with ALL of the players expected to jump in production this year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Phil:
lol....Ya, like to the Rams, where they really need a WR AND a nice overview of our offensive schemes. if we cut Lloyd and the Rams pick him up that's teh worst case scenario. Or Seattle but I don't see that happening. He'd end up on the Rams, KC or Carolina. Maybe even New England. I really want him on the team this season, especially if we do more 3-4 WR sets.

This right here!

The way injuries go in the NFL, we're gonna need extra WRs. He's as good as gone once (if) he's cut
I for one would like Lloyd to make the team and I think he will. He is a redzone threat and always has been. Maybe between the 20's he's good but in the redzone is where it really counts. If he's cut, maybe he doesn't get picked up or he chooses to only go to a contender, but you can bet other teams will pursue him. Would hate him to get picked up by Seattle, NYG, AZ, STL, or someone we may see in the playoffs. Lloyd isn't a #1, #2, or maybe even a #3 but he is very dependable on the depth chart.

Think about it...as good as Seattles D is (and they are very good), can you really see them cover Crabs, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, and Davis on the field together on a 3rd and 5? Patton made some catches last season but not enough for me to trust him on critical downs just yet and a possible winning score. Ellington still needs to prove himself.

Prolly not and I don't think anyone can stop us with those guys all on the field at the same time. However, the main concern is execution and O-line (protection)......
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Yeah i dont know where "Redzone threat Lloyd came from", but i dont ever remember seeing him dominate the redzone in any year or game ever. he is short, light, and old. He is the opposite of a red zone threat lol.

As for the WRs positions. I really want to see Crabtree and S. Johnson on the outsides with Boldin in the slot. I dont think any small slot CBs can cover Boldin when he is in the slot, or in motion, and because of his strength, i see him breaking a lot of tackles there as well.

We already have VD speed inside at TE, so i think S. Johnson should go wide as he has some speed (more than Boldin).

I am starting to think that we have so many average WRs that we realistically dont really have any.

I want Boldin in the slot also. Boldin dominated the playoffs when the ravens had Jacoby Jones and Torrey Smith on the outside.
Originally posted by lazy:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

I think this is the click right here. Maybe keeping 2 of the 6 inactive each game. Who's made inactive depends on the opponent. Crabs/Boldin/Johnson active every game.
[ Edited by Baldie on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by lazy:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

I think this is the click right here. Maybe keeping 2 of the 6 inactive on gamedays depending on the opponent.

yea thats what i was going to say, top 6 in that order that came to mind too. who do we lose by that? dont remember any other wr all of a sudden lol
  • Phil
Has there ever been an NFL team with 4 active/starting WR's who have all had 1000+ yard seasons? Help me out here....
Stop with the Osgood ST ace!!! Who cares!!! We got Ventrone, Castanzo, Spillman, Morris and Skuta. That's enough ST aces!!!
Has there ever been an NFL team with 4 active/starting WR's who have all had 1000+ yard seasons? Help me out here....

I think the WRs on the Oilers when Moon was using the Run and Shoot offense.

edit: I checked. Curtis Duncan was 50 yards shy of making it 4 WRs with at least one 1000+ yard season to their name. So no, not the run and shoot Oilers.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM ]
  • Phil

edit: I checked. Curtis Duncan was 50 yards shy of making it 4 WRs with at least one 1000+ yard season to their name. So no, not the run and shoot Oilers.

Thanks. Just think of the possibilities. Opposing secondaries will be toast! And if Johnson/Boldin/Crabs go down Lloyd can fill the gap. Only possible issue I see is Lloyd's ego. Will he take the low impact role? He should have known this coming in. I forgot, did we get Lloyd before or after the Johnson deal?

Thanks. Just think of the possibilities. Opposing secondaries will be toast! And if Johnson/Boldin/Crabs go down Lloyd can fill the gap. Only possible issue I see is Lloyd's ego. Will he take the low impact role? He should have known this coming in. I forgot, did we get Lloyd before or after the Johnson deal?

Good question. I believe we got Lloyd BEFORE Johnson. Johnson was done at the draft and we picked Lloyd up on April 15th. (edited)
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 25, 2014 at 7:50 AM ]
  • DeUh
I forgot, did we get Lloyd before or after the Johnson deal

Brandon Llyod signed with the Niners on Apr 15, 2014.

Niners traded for Stevie Johnson on May 9, 2014.
[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Another fast break offense is the greatest show on turf. But I think they only had 3 legit talented WRs. I'm sure we're not going to run and shoot offense any time soon, but the 1990 super bowl giants offensive model would probably work better for us anyway.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Good question. I believe we got Lloyd BEFORE Johnson. Johnson was done at the draft and we picked Lloyd up on April 15th. (edited)
That's trent working his GM magic. He really worked hard to upgrade the WR's this year. Between all the offensive positions, WR OL RB FB and TE, I think WR is the least important in Harbaugh's offensive system. I betcha if he could, he'd have 8 tight ends and no wr's.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:

That's trent working his GM magic. He really worked hard to upgrade the WR's this year. Between all the offensive positions, WR OL RB FB and TE, I think WR is the least important in Harbaugh's offensive system. I betcha if he could, he'd have 8 tight ends and no wr's.

Well, to be fair, Boldin and Crabtree pretty much are TE's anyhow (big, strong, zero speed). LOL
Originally posted by crake49:
I'll say this about Brandon lloyd - his highlight films contain some of the most spectacular circus catches you'll ever see on a football field. Unfortunately, there's also this:

Okay, on second thought, that was unfair. He's not the same player today that he was back then.

In this play, I don't see what others see in which to fault Lloyd. The pass was already on him before he saw it. He wasn't going to catch the pass with his helmet, so he ducked his head, probably hoping the pass was intended for another receiver behind him. If Lloyd is to be faulted, it's for not looking up quickly enough. But then he was picking his way through traffic, including a referee who gets in his way, and appeared to look up as soon as he could.