There are 152 users in the forums

6 WRs to be kept

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
If everyone stays healthy, which top 6 WRs do you all see our team keeping??

Crab
Boldin
Stevie
Patton
Lloyd
Ellington
Osgood

But osgood is purely ST. Doesn't fully count imo. I think Lloyd's performance in camp forces the staffs hand to keep him
JH I think Lloyd needs to prove it out on the field to make the roster. Practicing against guys like the rooks, and leftover vets/new vets doesn't equate to game time IMO. If he is among the best 53 than keep him, but I pray we don't need him, that means Patton and Ellington haven't progressed, and we have a major injury to one of the top 3.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
JH I think Lloyd needs to prove it out on the field to make the roster. Practicing against guys like the rooks, and leftover vets/new vets doesn't equate to game time IMO. If he is among the best 53 than keep him, but I pray we don't need him, that means Patton and Ellington haven't progressed, and we have a major injury to one of the top 3.

All of this, plus Lloyd has historically avoided contact/blocking, which might make him fall from favor on the third day of training camp, once the pads go on.
I think Lloyd had an up hill battle to remain. For him to stay it would require letting a ST guy or a really young WR (Patton or Ellington). I really don't see either happening. But past history tells me injuries might have a hand in this, I hope not, but it usually happens.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
As much as I'd like to see Lloyd show up and make the team, I'd rather see Patton and Ellington push past him on the depth chart. They're the future, and we have Boldin/Crabtree/Johnson filling the role of win now veterans. Even if he makes the team this year I just don't see Lloyd being around next year. I could see him getting cut in camp and then brought back during the season if one of the current receivers goes to IR.
That 11 set with a healthy Crabtree, Stevie and Anquan looks pretty powerful. And you'd have to hope that Patton and Ellington perform well enough to get some time on the field as well. Does that even leave any room for Brandon? I'm finding it a little tough to imagine a scenario where Lloyd sticks.
loyd makes the cut.... he is a very very tough wr to cover in the redzone...they keep 6 wrs and let osgood go.. but what do we know? lol!!!!!
Originally posted by mbig49er:
loyd makes the cut.... he is a very very tough wr to cover in the redzone...they keep 6 wrs and let osgood go.. but what do we know? lol!!!!!

Who do they sit on game day?
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

Crabs- #1 healthy great chemistry with Kap
Boldin- Is a rock and does it all, solid 1-2 punch with Crabs/Boldin
Johnson- Great route runner and gets off the line, throw him in the slot
Patton- As long as he stays healthy I could see him becoming a SJ kind of player
Ellington- Steal of the draft! They will have to figure a way to get this kid on the field, too much talent not too.
Osgood/Lloyd- This is tough Osgood is great at special teams, so I'll give him the job. The further you go down the depth chart the move valuable you are if you can play special teams, which Lloyd can't.( that could change if there is a camp injury).

Sucks with Baldwin, he has the speed, size, and is still young. If he couldn't get on the field last year (not sure why) with our horrible WR roster then I don't see him on making the team.
Originally posted by lazy:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

If no Osgood, who's replacing his production in ST?
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by mbig49er:

Who do they sit on game day?

I'm thinking lloyd and ellington will sit. boldin and crabs are 1 and 2 of course with johnson playing slot or switching with either of them and patton will see like 10 snaps. ellington will be only see the field in the case of injuries but will play ST and lloyd will be injury insurance and redone packages
I think either Loyd or osgood doesnt makes it, Id choose Osgood over Loyd
  1. Crabtree - WR1 - 100%
  2. Boldin - WR2 - 100%
  3. Johnson - Slot - 95%
  4. Patton - Backup - 90%
  5. Ellington - Backup - 100%
  6. Lloyd - Backup - 33%
  7. Baldwin - Backup - 5%
  8. Jacobs - Backup - <1%
  9. Osgood - Backup/ST - 50%

Here's my list of the WRs and their respective chances at making the 53. Crabtree and Boldin are guaranteed. Johnson and Patton are very sure bets, but they could possibly be surpassed (very unlikely). Ellington's a lock for at least this year and sounds like our future slot WR. Lloyd is a toss-up, I gave him a third chance. I see him as on the outside looking in. Baldwin and Jacobs are very long shots, they'd have to supplant Patton/Johnson. And Osgood would only be retained for ST duty, so if he gets replaced its because another ST ace with more to offer at their offensive/defensive position than him.

Still think it'll be 6: Crabs, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington, and Osgood.
Share 49ersWebzone