LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

How long will Alex Boone's holdout last?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long will Alex Boone's holdout last?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup, feeling pretty darn good about Looney/Martin/Seymour. We don't pull much from right-to-left so it's most road-grade ahead, quick-sealling and pass protection.

How can you say that? Coaches chose snyder over looney last year. 1 martin is hurt, the other is best known in aldon smith highlights. We take a step down without Boone.
Originally posted by crabman82:
speaking of the big picture, kissing his ass and folding to what he wants, what do you think that does for the big picture in terms of the rest of the team? the minute you fold to him, 5 others want the same treatment.

And if they are all underpaid and overcontributing like boone, then yes I say, kiss all their arses. Start a tradition. Win a super bowl.
I think the theory above that he may be angling for a trade to another team as a tackle is possible. If you think about it, last year he went over to left tackle when Staley was injured in the Rams game and Boone proceeded to shut down Quinn who was leading the league in sacks. Other teams have to have noticed this. He and his agents have to know that the Niners don't negotiate unless the player reports. So we should know by the end of next week. If he doesn't report, he's just not interested in striking a deal IMO.
Off topic -- do you think Boone would have been more successful in the SB against Avril than Davis?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by crabman82:
speaking of the big picture, kissing his ass and folding to what he wants, what do you think that does for the big picture in terms of the rest of the team? the minute you fold to him, 5 others want the same treatment.

And if they are all underpaid and overcontributing like boone, then yes I say, kiss all their arses. Start a tradition. Win a super bowl.

all thats fine but you're acting like he didnt already get a raise. you said earlier in this thread he is making udfa peanuts, which isnt true. he was given an new deal a la ian williams when he was a nobody and then he became a pretty good player. thats the downside to signing the extension he did. he could have said no played out 2012 and been primed for a bigger deal. he decided to take the money then so now he looks under paid but it wasnt that way when he signed it. we scratched his back and now he wants to dictate terms.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jul 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM ]
Yup, feeling pretty darn good about Looney/Martin/Seymour. We don't pull much from right-to-left so it's most road-grade ahead, quick-sealling and pass protection.

How can you say that? Coaches chose snyder over looney last year. 1 martin is hurt, the other is best known in aldon smith highlights. We take a step down without Boone.

It's well now that our coaches have a propensity to start aging veterans over rookies/less experienced players...Rogers over Cox...Brown over Brock...Gore at the end of the season over youngsters (or better balance)...Goodwin over Kilgore...Synder over Looney, etc. And what happened in each case? Once Iupati went out in the NFCCG, we were doomed. I personally would have plugged in Looney even with less "experience" b/c his road-grading style would have been a better matchup IMHO against the Hawks DL and I'm willing to bet he's a better pull-guard than Snyder. Snyder gives you nothing...and that was three years ago when we let him go to AZ. He's decent at everything but not above average at anything other than versatility. And as far as RG goes, Looney got some snaps there last year after an injury and looked good in limited snaps, now has several years in our system and now has the luxury to have an entire TC to work at "just" RG...for his responsibilities there, it's much easier than LG where we pull so much from left-to-right. Follow the "move" guy and you'll find the RB. Period.
Off topic -- do you think Boone would have been more successful in the SB against Avril than Davis?

If Boone had all year to start at RT I think he's be amazing/dominant. We also have to remember that Davis was ailing pretty badly too and we did little to help him that game/adjust.
And if they are all underpaid and over-contributing like Boone, then yes I say, kiss all their arses. Start a tradition. Win a super bowl.

Do not forget that Boone's last extension included up-front money. His salary is lower than it should be but his current contract already compensated for that by paying him a high bonus up-front.

The same is true with Davis' contract.

So to those among you who just look at the annual salary, you are being short-sighted.
If Boone had all year to start at RT I think he's be amazing/dominant. We also have to remember that Davis was ailing pretty badly too and we did little to help him that game/adjust.

That could have been an adjustment.

As far as above, I think that coaches will go with the significantly better player. If a vet is not doing the job, he will be replaced by a younger kid, even if he's no better. I think that staff didn't feel Looney would be a significant improvement over snyder. Perhaps the opposite.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
What does seem strange to me is that Boone is choosing to push now. You would think that if he waited 1 more year, he would be in line to get a new contract from the 49ers. For those that they want to keep, they extend them before their contract is up. My guess is that he will report to camp on time to avoid the 30k per day penalty. Holding out in TC would probably hurt his case more than it would help.

boone will holdout longer than aldon has to be in jail for
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
He be back after he bleeds the lizard
Boone really should play out his contract then move on or demand top dollar. He's a lineman..and a good one..he'll make it up.
Who? Oh that guy, wasn't he an un-drafted free agent? Haven't we been stockpiling O-line talent? He had better get his ass correct, or he will be unemployed....in GREENLAND! (traded to Jacksonville)
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jul 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Who? Oh that guy, wasn't he an un-drafted free agent? Haven't we been stockpiling O-line talent? He had better get his ass correct, or he will be unemployed....in GREENLAND! (traded to Jacksonville)

Nice PB reference
Share 49ersWebzone