There are 186 users in the forums

How long will Alex Boone's holdout last?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long will Alex Boone's holdout last?

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Boone cannot be adequately replaced by anyone on our roster. He is playing for udfa peanuts. I think there is middle ground.

Not sure he cannot be "adequately" replaced. He is under paid and I am sure the FO would work toward a middle ground, but they will not, nor should they talk to him, until he shows up for training camp. Boone has a lot to lose if he doesn't show. He has very little leverage.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
I think he does want to be traded to a team that will put him at tackle, which will give him a hefty raise. He's a natural tackle, and has proven that. This team can't afford to have three starting caliber tackles. I am wondering if giving Staley an extension is also a message to Boone, ie we are set at tackle. If I were to bet, I'd put my money on the idea that he's playing hardball because he knows he will never get a starting tackle job here and he's ready to step into a role with more opportunity and satisfaction. If he really doesn't want to stay here and be a well paid guard, I say shop him for the highest pick you can get and let him go. The harder thing might be to find a suitable back up tackle than to replace him at right guard.

This is actually a very good point! He's said it all along as did his mentor who trained him for a year to be a T and then we move him to G. I'd almost wish we'd move him to RT and slide Davis inside to be our road grader. That seems like a more natural fit for both players and both work very well together (nasty). And the pay-point is a very good one...the difference between a G & T. Davis has already been paid so sliding him inside wouldn't be a big deal financially. Then Boone can earn it on a prove-it deal this year at RT and get his $.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is actually a very good point! He's said it all along as did his mentor who trained him for a year to be a T and then we move him to G. I'd almost wish we'd move him to RT and slide Davis inside to be our road grader. That seems like a more natural fit for both players and both work very well together (nasty). And the pay-point is a very good one...the difference between a G & T. Davis has already been paid so sliding him inside wouldn't be a big deal financially. Then Boone can earn it on a prove-it deal this year at RT and get his $.

This x10.

I also feel Boone saw we drafted OLine and may feel he'll get passed over financially.

Like all players, they can have a short shelf-life, and need to get as much loot while they are on top of their game.
Boone cannot be adequately replaced by anyone on our roster. He is playing for udfa peanuts. I think there is middle ground.

he is not playing for udfa peanuts. he is playing on his 2nd contract with the 49ers. he signed it when rachal and snyder played ahead of him in late 2011. he took the marginal raise knowing he could potentially outplay it and be under paid at the back end of the deal. thats the risk you take when we give you a raise when you're a nobody.
He's already delivered much more value than his contract calls for. We don't have a bench player who can start, or they would be starting. I agree he is out of line to hold out. But we have to see the bigger picture. He's done well. Let's figure out a way. Let's kiss his a*. Go on. Let's do it. It's what's right.
He's already delivered much more value than his contract calls for. We don't have a bench player who can start, or they would be starting. I agree he is out of line to hold out. But we have to see the bigger picture. He's done well. Let's figure out a way. Let's kiss his a*. Go on. Let's do it. It's what's right.

speaking of the big picture, kissing his ass and folding to what he wants, what do you think that does for the big picture in terms of the rest of the team? the minute you fold to him, 5 others want the same treatment.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

he is not playing for udfa peanuts. he is playing on his 2nd contract with the 49ers. he signed it when rachal and snyder played ahead of him in late 2011. he took the marginal raise knowing he could potentially outplay it and be under paid at the back end of the deal. thats the risk you take when we give you a raise when you're a nobody.

agree, but contracts and agreements are changing all the time. The problem with change is when one party wants a change and the other party doesn't.

I think there is a decent chance of working something out if both sides start communicating. But if the younger players prove to be good during pre-season, I think Baalke will trade Boone for draft picks, and free up the roster spot for a promising young player. One member said a 4rth round draft pick is good value for Boone. I don't know, but in my opinion, he was an UDFA and *any* draft pick in my opinion beats an empty roster spot and the fact that we originally got him without using any draft capital at all.
Originally posted by Giedi:

agree, but contracts and agreements are changing all the time. The problem with change is when one party wants a change and the other party doesn't.

I think there is a decent chance of working something out if both sides start communicating. But if the younger players prove to be good during pre-season, I think Baalke will trade Boone for draft picks, and free up the roster spot for a promising young player. One member said a 4rth round draft pick is good value for Boone. I don't know, but in my opinion, he was an UDFA and *any* draft pick in my opinion beats an empty roster spot and the fact that we originally got him without using any draft capital at all.

i honestly dont care if guys pull this s**t in the final yr of their deal trying to secure something long term. but with 2 years left i got no time for it.

My questions are:

A. Do the 49ers even want to keep Boone knowing that he wants elite OG money or even a shot at RT? or

B. Would they rather take another run at Iupati who they were already negotiating an extension with last spring? or

C. Is the plan to go young and cheap and roll with the newbs on the interior in 2015?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

speaking of the big picture, kissing his ass and folding to what he wants, what do you think that does for the big picture in terms of the rest of the team? the minute you fold to him, 5 others want the same treatment.

Have to agree here. I really don't see why he has to hold out. If he or any player (be it crabs, gore, iupati) wants a new contract, I would think all you do is call up Baalke and say so and present your side and see where it goes. The CBA actually punishes players who hold out. Yeah there is the injury issue, but a good agent should have taken care of that before the signing. It doesn't hurt Boone' s bargaining position whether he shows up or not. The cap is the cap and all a holdout does is highlight the fact that the player doesn't have a good relationship with the front office - if they can't even honestly communicate the simple fact that he's underpaid. You generally don't resort to threats unless you feel you have no other options.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

i honestly dont care if guys pull this s**t in the final yr of their deal trying to secure something long term. but with 2 years left i got no time for it.
Well the option is to keep his spot open and let him hold out. That's a wasted roster spot. How valuable is that 53rd spot? Only the front office really knows. Me, if the new guys are good - I'd rather have that 53rd spot used than be wasted.

Well the option is to keep his spot open and let him hold out. That's a wasted roster spot. How valuable is that 53rd spot? Only the front office really knows. Me, if the new guys are good - I'd rather have that 53rd spot used than be wasted.

we all know how this is ending, he'll miss a few days maybe even a week or two, but he'll be back with his tail between his legs and with a much lighter wallet. maybe he gets traded if it gets real ugly but thats an outside shot to me.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

My questions are:

A. Do the 49ers even want to keep Boone knowing that he wants elite OG money or even a shot at RT? or

B. Would they rather take another run at Iupati who they were already negotiating an extension with last spring? or

C. Is the plan to go young and cheap and roll with the newbs on the interior in 2015?

Re: o-line. There is some timing and chemistry that needs to be developed at that position, but I think it's nowhere the level of a QB - WR kind of timing and chemistry. Boone stepped in to Chilos spot with no problems and I think it's because he was a good offensive lineman. A good new lineman will struggle against veteran DT's and De's and exotic blitzes and stunts, but eventually, if he's as good as Boone, it should be no problem.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

My questions are:

Re: o-line. There is some timing and chemistry that needs to be developed at that position, but I think it's nowhere the level of a QB - WR kind of timing and chemistry. Boone stepped in to Chilos spot with no problems and I think it's because he was a good offensive lineman. A good new lineman will struggle against veteran DT's and De's and exotic blitzes and stunts, but eventually, if he's as good as Boone, it should be no problem.

Yup, feeling pretty darn good about Looney/Martin/Seymour. We don't pull much from right-to-left so it's most road-grade ahead, quick-sealling and pass protection.
Originally posted by matt49er:
If he's angling for a trade, I hope the Niners completely shut that down and tell him we have plenty of young/cheap talent at interior OL and they will just let him rot and fine the crap out of him. If I were the 49ers, I'd tell him look, show up, prove you're still the starter, play well and we'll see about a deal. If not, we'll gladly fine you $30K/day and let you "holdout" for 2 years. Good luck getting a contract then buddy.

This, this, and that^
Share 49ersWebzone