LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

How long will Alex Boone's holdout last?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long will Alex Boone's holdout last?

If the FO caved in now, it would be disastrous for them. Everyone would hold out. The FO will hold firm. Boone better show up or he will be a very important example for others who think about doing the same.
Baalke's policy is he/Marathe won't negotiate 'til the player's in camp. The longer Boone holds out, the more his position's up for grabs. I'd say Looney's the odds-on favorite to take his job.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by trogdor:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Csnbc reported he will not show up at all until he gets anew contract

So I say forever holdout

This is either a negotiating tactic and the Niners will call his bluff and he'll show up, or he's angling for a trade as some here have suggested. If he's hoping for a trade then we've probably seen the last of Boone

If he's angling for a trade, I hope the Niners completely shut that down and tell him we have plenty of young/cheap talent at interior OL and they will just let him rot and fine the crap out of him. If I were the 49ers, I'd tell him look, show up, prove you're still the starter, play well and we'll see about a deal. If not, we'll gladly fine you $30K/day and let you "holdout" for 2 years. Good luck getting a contract then buddy.
I don't believe they can "just let him rot" without keeping him officially on the 53-man roster. He could be inactive of course but it would mean an empty position on the 53. If the Niners release/cut him, he'd be free to sign with another team.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

So I say forever holdout

This is either a negotiating tactic and the Niners will call his bluff and he'll show up, or he's angling for a trade as some here have suggested. If he's hoping for a trade then we've probably seen the last of Boone

If he's angling for a trade, I hope the Niners completely shut that down and tell him we have plenty of young/cheap talent at interior OL and they will just let him rot and fine the crap out of him. If I were the 49ers, I'd tell him look, show up, prove you're still the starter, play well and we'll see about a deal. If not, we'll gladly fine you $30K/day and let you "holdout" for 2 years. Good luck getting a contract then buddy.
I don't believe they can "just let him rot" without keeping him officially on the 53-man roster. He could be inactive of course but it would mean an empty position on the 53. If the Niners release/cut him, he'd be free to sign with another team.
if he holds out i dont think the team needs to have him on the roster, The 49ers don't have to cut him and he cant sign anywhere since they have his rights for two years...so it wont hurt the 53
The real question is who would you rather keep, Iupati or Boone? We can't keep both and they would probably be asking for the same amount of money.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

So I say forever holdout

if he holds out i dont think the team needs to have him on the roster, The 49ers don't have to cut him and he cant sign anywhere since they have his rights for two years...so it wont hurt the 53

Yup, there's something like a "Failed to Report" designation that gains the team a roster exemption, while they maintain his rights. I agree that they should not trade him unless they get maximum value in a trade. If they let him force his way off the team, every underpaid starter and talented backup will try to do the same. This is just a dumb move by Boone and his representation, unless they honestly believe that some team will stack up big value to get him. I hope the 49ers fine him dry (we need the cap space), then he has to show up at the midseason mark to get FA credit for this season. He could have to play for free before this is all over, lol.

I have no patience for arguments that justify player holdouts, but the "teams don't honor the contracts, either" crap pisses me off the most. When players sign contracts, they receive signing bonuses and guarantees. What is the point of designating which money is guaranteed? This designation exists because it is understood that the annual salaries are value-based guidelines that are continually assessed as a production vs cost metric. If anyone believed that the contract was going to be played out no matter what, then guarantees would not exist. If a player "outplays his contract," that is simply the result of accepting financial security over maximum earning potential. Any player can choose to "bet on himself," as Flacco did, but most are afraid of the risks associated with the game (from a financial perspective), so they accept a below-market deal to keep the money coming in. This is especially true with late-blooming talent (like Boone). He had every right to refuse the extension that the 49ers offered him and try to earn a starting spot on his rookie deal. Had he become a starte before he signed his deal, he would have gotten more money. He chose an earlier deal to avoid risk, and he is receiving less money because of that. Choices have consequenses. Learn and move on, but don't act like the team wronged you. They paid a backup OL who came to the team as an UDFA $2 million/year. He could have bet on himself. He didn't. Now he's betting on his agents.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwy621:
The real question is who would you rather keep, Iupati or Boone? We can't keep both and they would probably be asking for the same amount of money.

I think Iupati is gonna want a fair amount more than Boone. I can see Iupati wanting $9-ish mil. and Boone $5-6. I'd rather have Iupati, but I doubt we can afford him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

So I say forever holdout

I'm betting a trade. There are some physically talented young guys on the team that can replace him, in my opinion. The two Martins, Loony, and possibly Kilgore. Boone is a a young guy, for an UDFA he can fetch a high draft pick.

Agreed about his value, I just don't want to see him go. The other guys have potential but are unproven. Boone is a beast and a key part of the o-line. Hopefully they can work something out.

It takes two to work it out and if Boone doesn't show up to TC, then there is nobody to work anything out with. The 49ers are strapped for cap space as it is. I'm wondering where the cap space is going to come from if they give Boone what he wants?

Boone did well stepping into Chilos spot. I'm also hoping they can work something out but if not, I don't think we fall off too much with the next man up.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

So I say forever holdout

I'm betting a trade. There are some physically talented young guys on the team that can replace him, in my opinion. The two Martins, Loony, and possibly Kilgore. Boone is a a young guy, for an UDFA he can fetch a high draft pick.

Agreed about his value, I just don't want to see him go. The other guys have potential but are unproven. Boone is a beast and a key part of the o-line. Hopefully they can work something out.

It takes two to work it out and if Boone doesn't show up to TC, then there is nobody to work anything out with. The 49ers are strapped for cap space as it is. I'm wondering where the cap space is going to come from if they give Boone what he wants?

Boone did well stepping into Chilos spot. I'm also hoping they can work something out but if not, I don't think we fall off too much with the next man up.

So I say forever holdout

I completely disagree about his value. NFL players don't get big value back in trades, just look at the players the Niners got for nothing in the Baalke era. A guard looking for a big payday will not fetch anything worthy. I bet if we wanted to trade Iupati we wouldn't get more than a 4th round pick.

Yeah most likely you are right. But a 4rth or later isn't bad if you can't pay the guy what he wants. The alternative is to cut him or blow your cap structure. Either way - the alternatives mean he isn't playing for you or you have to cut another good player to make room for him. It may be better just to trade him if your cap structure can't accommodate what he wants.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Not for long. He has NO leverage. Honestly, he is more valuable as a backup OT than he is as an OG. We have Kilgore, M. Martin, J. Martin, and A. Snyder. Sure, none of them are as good as Boone. But we would be just fine without him.

He has WAY more to loose than the team does by him holding out. If he misses training camp, I think it is 100% certain that Kilgore starts at RG with M. Martin starting at C and if they do well, Boone would have even less value.

I agree with your logic on this.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Yup, there's something like a "Failed to Report" designation that gains the team a roster exemption, while they maintain his rights. I agree that they should not trade him unless they get maximum value in a trade. If they let him force his way off the team, every underpaid starter and talented backup will try to do the same. This is just a dumb move by Boone and his representation, unless they honestly believe that some team will stack up big value to get him. I hope the 49ers fine him dry (we need the cap space), then he has to show up at the midseason mark to get FA credit for this season. He could have to play for free before this is all over, lol.

I have no patience for arguments that justify player holdouts, but the "teams don't honor the contracts, either" crap pisses me off the most. When players sign contracts, they receive signing bonuses and guarantees. What is the point of designating which money is guaranteed? This designation exists because it is understood that the annual salaries are value-based guidelines that are continually assessed as a production vs cost metric. If anyone believed that the contract was going to be played out no matter what, then guarantees would not exist. If a player "outplays his contract," that is simply the result of accepting financial security over maximum earning potential. Any player can choose to "bet on himself," as Flacco did, but most are afraid of the risks associated with the game (from a financial perspective), so they accept a below-market deal to keep the money coming in. This is especially true with late-blooming talent (like Boone). He had every right to refuse the extension that the 49ers offered him and try to earn a starting spot on his rookie deal. Had he become a starte before he signed his deal, he would have gotten more money. He chose an earlier deal to avoid risk, and he is receiving less money because of that. Choices have consequenses. Learn and move on, but don't act like the team wronged you. They paid a backup OL who came to the team as an UDFA $2 million/year. He could have bet on himself. He didn't. Now he's betting on his agents.

I think both parties know he's outplayed his contract. I think it's just a matter of beginning the negotiations. But it's to the 49ers advantage to see how the young guys perform in pre-season before beginning negotiations.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Until he can no longer squeeze / pinch it, then eventually, the lizard has to bleed
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
8 hours
Probably even longer since Staley just extended two more years.
Share 49ersWebzone