There are 152 users in the forums

Kilgore or Martin?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kilgore or Martin?

I'm going to give the edge to Kilgore right now simply due to his time in the system. I'm sure he knows the calls backward and forward and he can focus more on his opponent.

Martin will have to worry more about the mental side before thinking about beating his man which will at least keep him behind early IMO.

I have high hopes for Martin but I think we'll have some time to season him at Center. If Kilgore settles in and locks down the job Martin could swing to guard. He'll likely get plenty of guard reps with Boone out.

Can't wait to see how it shakes out.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm going to give the edge to Kilgore right now simply due to his time in the system. I'm sure he knows the calls backward and forward and he can focus more on his opponent.

Martin will have to worry more about the mental side before thinking about beating his man which will at least keep him behind early IMO.

I have high hopes for Martin but I think we'll have some time to season him at Center. If Kilgore settles in and locks down the job Martin could swing to guard. He'll likely get plenty of guard reps with Boone out.

Agree.

And then the other position competition questions;

WR - Will Lloyd make the team?

G - Who will start if Boone holds out?

It sure will be interesting.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Agreed. The M.O. here will be to train Martin for both the Center and Guard postion. So w/o Boone, I expect to see a hefty dose of Looney/Martin/Seymour at RG and that is a good thing!
You haven't seen either one play a single down at center this year and you're already giving edges.

How about the better player gets the job?
Originally posted by zugschef:
You haven't seen either one play a single down at center this year and you're already giving edges.

Clearly new to internet forums.

Thanks for the penetrating glimpse into the obvious. Who knew? I guess we should shut down Niner Talk until after two pre-season games so we can better pretend to know what we're talking about.

There's nothing to give. Kilgore has the edge. That's not even debatable. He's got 3 years of experience in this system, knows the playbook...etc.

He has the edge, whether that's enough for him to hold off Martin remains to be seen but as the more experienced guy, he clearly has that benefit of already having played in the system, understanding the system, familiarity with the players and the coaches....etc.
Originally posted by buck:
The coaches can figure this out.

So we cant speculate, predict or discuss here?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
No more debating... bite off our tongues and drown in blood
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Do they both have experience at the guard position??

Yes.

Center is a much more cerebral position tho so thinking it's probably a good idea to go with the guy that's been here several years.

Still, I am curious about Martin.

This is why I think Kilgore gets the job. Also in light of the Boone holdout, if Martins talent is that which demands he starts and Boone remains away G is a much easier position to insert a rookie.

When does Martin start practicing?

With him missing the first week of camp it will be hard for him to take this from kilgore
So is Kilgore pretty much set to be the starter at this point? I haven't heard anything about Martin
Kilgore might be mentally more prepared but physically he is a liability on run plays got BLOWN up several times

Martin is more physical but lacks mentally/playbook

I hope Martin gets to show his skills the kid is physically gifted has the tools to succeed just needs to be healthy
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
So is Kilgore pretty much set to be the starter at this point? I haven't heard anything about Martin

Martin has only been practicing for two days. Even if he was as good as Larry Allen, he would not have won the job by now.
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Kilgore might be mentally more prepared but physically he is a liability on run plays got BLOWN up several times

Martin is more physical but lacks mentally/playbook

I hope Martin gets to show his skills the kid is physically gifted has the tools to succeed just needs to be healthy

He might actually fulfill the honor of his family heritage, and actually do it. He might actually kill Gore.
Share 49ersWebzone