There are 163 users in the forums

Kilgore or Martin?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kilgore or Martin?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I disagree. Kilgore has had 3 seasons in this offense. He's got a distinct advantage, regardless of how talented Martin might be. Kilgore winning the job isn't necessarily a reflection on Martin's talent or potential, especially considering he only played one year of center in college. I feel that Kilgore should be the prohibitive favorite to win the starting spot at center because of his experience advantage. If Martin beats him out, great, but if he doesn't, I don't think that is necessarily a slight against Martin.

Another good point. The only reason I would want to see Kilgore starting over Martin is if Martin cant pick the offense up quick enough. Otherwise i'm hoping our "best center in the draft" can show what he's already shown on film and win the job.
I'd like to see Daniel Kilgore win the job. I expect him to be the favorite and figure he will maintain that edge. Experience will carry you very far on this team. Of course the talent of another guy will eventually push you pass the experienced vet, but typically it's the veteran's job to lose here. I also like to see guys starting off as low draft picks on the team and eventually climbing their way to a starting position. We've seen it quite often in this regime where a guy will make the practice squad their rookie year, make the 53-man roster the next season, eventually work their way onto the gameday roster and a backup role and ultimately a starter. It has to be motivating for the 4th-7th round picks and the UDFAs.

If Marcus Martin wins the job, his talent is just that undeniable and it means we will have our starting center for at least a few seasons as well as a high quality backup in Daniel Kilgore.
Martin is a bulldozer. Kilgore is only holding the position until Martin gets the offense down. Matin's ability will allow our offensive line to do things that most OL's can only dream about.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Martin is a bulldozer. Kilgore is only holding the position until Martin gets the offense down. Matin's ability will allow our offensive line to do things that most OL's can only dream about.

That's my hope too.
I worry about starting a rookie at center.
I'm curious to see how Martin plays, but I think Kilgore has been groomed for this. It's his job to lose. I think Martin will see a lot of time at guard and possibly replace Iupati next year. The fact that he can do both gives them flexibility to try to get the best 5 on the field together.
Do they both have experience at the guard position??
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Fixed

That doesn't mean what you think it does.

These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yes.

Center is a much more cerebral position tho so thinking it's probably a good idea to go with the guy that's been here several years.

Still, I am curious about Martin.
I expect kilgore to be our starter come game time because of the experience.he knows the offense so that will give him a step up on martin but who knows.aslong as both perform better than goodwin afterall any improvement is a move in the right direction right

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
I worry about starting a rookie at center.

me to. i know it is a bit more complicated than a long snapper spot but last year at this time I was having a heart attacking thinking our long snapping with a kid would doom us all! that worked out ok and at times goodwin was pretty bad so it could not be any worse?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yes.

Center is a much more cerebral position tho so thinking it's probably a good idea to go with the guy that's been here several years.

Still, I am curious about Martin.

Thanks! Yeah the tape of seen from Martin (YouTube) he looks like a beast and he's athletic enough to get to the second level. It should be a good competition in training camp for sure. I can't want to see what Thomas brings to the team next year as well!
Kilgore is so versatile that he can play both Guard and an extra FB as well. Let him be a swing blocker as we lock down the future with the bigger/stronger Martin!
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Kilgore is so versatile that he can play both Guard and an extra FB as well. Let him be a swing blocker as we lock down the future with the bigger/stronger Martin!

This
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hard to say really right now because both are unproven commodities. Kilgore probably has the edge right now because he's a vet and knows the play book but once Martin gets up to speed I think he's a better prospect.
Share 49ersWebzone