LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Most likely to be on another team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by daragon:
Does Morris have the edge over Cox right now?
Yup, I'd say so.

Why ?

I think both will make the 53 this year. Though my take is that Cox still has the edge right now. He brings veteran leadership, knows the system very well, played very good in the playoffs and I think is the better returner ( at least at this point ). .
. . . . . We just cannot keep everyone. . . .
Ok, there's a math portion of this. The good thing is that this rosters is blessed with talent at every position. That poses a real (pleasant) problem for HarBaalk. I mean, they are gonna have some real "com to Jesus" moments on cut-down days. Now, we won't carry more than 6 CB's, tops. Here's the locks:

Cully (4 year vet)
Brock (5 year vet)
Ward (rookie)

Cook (5 year vet) and Johnson (rookie) are likely locks. So, how can we fit both Morris and Cox on this roster with this numbers reality? How? And you speak to Cox's veteran leadership. . . . . The guy has been in the league 4 years. Just what veteran leadership will Cox bring that Brock and Cook can't, who both have been in the league 5 years (and longer than Cox), or even Cully who's been in the league 4 years (as long as Cox) ? I'm not getting where people are coming from when they continue to point to Cox "veteran leadership" as a reason to keep him around.

That leaves:

Morris
Cox
Acker

This is where people like me have Cox getting the ax. But where I fall in the minority is keeping Morris or Acker. If Acker shows in camp and preseason games this will be one of those "come to Jesus" moments for HaBaalk that I speak of. Personally, I don't see us being able to hide Acker on the PS. And the fact that we drafted 4 players at one position - CB - is no small matter that I think is getting lost on most here. That says a lot about what the coaches feel about the CB position. So think that Acker will make the 53, IMHO.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jul 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Lol. That escalated quickly.

Cool story dude and thanks for the math lesson but you still failed to make your point why Morris has the edge over Cox right now ! What specific tape or camp news make you think that ?

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago
. . . . . We just cannot keep everyone. . . .

Here is my group at the moment:

Tramaine Brock - Starter
Chris Culliver - Starter
Jimmier Ward - Nickel
Perrish Cox - Dime ( backs up Brock, PR, ST )
Dontae Johnson - ( backs up Culliver )
Darryl Morris - ( backs up Ward, St )

Cook (5 year vet).....are likely locks.

Chris Cook a look ?

Quick reality check. 2014 Cap Hit $570,000.....2014 Dead Money If Cut $0. Zero. Nada.

This was a low risk / insurance signing. He is not guaranteed ANYTHING. With the addition of Johnson and a healthy Culliver + the way Cox played through the playoffs for us last year he has to play lights out through TC to get a roster spot. He is not a lock whatsoever. A few plays in shorts does not change that.

Just what veteran leadership will Cox bring that Brock and Cook can't, who both have been in the league 5 years (and longer than Cox), or even Cully who's been in the league 4 years (as long as Cox

Games played ( Keep in mind that those numbers are without their playoff games )

Tramaine Brock 46
Perrish Cox 42
Chris Culliver 32
*Chris Cook 34

Given the fact that Culliver did not play a single game for a whole year and the very real possibility that Cooks migths get the axe, yes I think Cox would bring some kind of veteran leadership + stability to the CB group this year.

Obviously Cox will not make the team on his "veteran" status alone but that was never my point.

Cox knows the system, played solid in the playoffs, is agruably our best PR at this moment, can play outside / nickel / dime and plays good on special teams.

Those were my points + his veteran status in our secondary !

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago
That leaves: Morris Cox Acker

The only REAL looks are Brock, Culliver, Ward and Johnson.
That leaves Cox, Morris, Cooks and Acker.

To me Cox brings way more value to the team than Cooks. And I don´t see Acker beating Cox or Morris for a roster spot yet. I liked his tapes but he is nowhere near Cox level at this point IMO.
And the fact alone that Cooper was picked up last year does not mean that the same automatically will happen to Acker. We had a plethora of picks this year and Acker was picked in the 6th round. He is not guaranteed a spot. What he brings at this point is competition.

And the fact that we drafted 4 players at one position - CB - ......That says a lot about what the coaches feel about the CB position.

Finally we agree on something. But why do you view Cooks as a likely look then ?

To bring this back to the initial quesion. For the reasons I stated above I give Cox the edge over Morris right now.
I´m a real fan of Morris and think that he will definitely turn some heads in 2015 and has the chance to become a real force in our secondary, but not quite yet. At least not until I saw him play in pads thorugh TC / Pre Season.

So again, why do you give Morris the edge right now over Cox ?
[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 12, 2014 at 7:12 AM ]
Cox played very well at the tail-end of last year. He has to have the edge over Cook and Morris.
Share 49ersWebzone