A. Snyder
R. Seymour
D. Dobbs
N. Moody
P. Cox
D. Morris
C. Dahl
The loser between the Quinton Dial/Tony Jerrod-Eddie roster battle

Why? Because everyone in front of the above either adds more value to the team, has the better upside, or is just outright better. And let us not forget the numbers game, which ALL teams eventually have to have a "come to Jesus" moment on (see the Dial/Jerrod-Eddie battle). With a team this deep and talented I suspect that JH & Co. are gonna have a lot of "come to Jesus" moments about this roster.

What a terrific problem to have

Why do people think that it is either or will make the team. BOTH of these guys are valuable because they can play all 3 spots on the line. The guy that is expendable is Dobbs and to a lesser extent Ian Williams because they only play one spot. Jerod-Eddie solidified his spot on this roster last postseason and especially vs Carolina where he was damn near immovable.
Nobody is doubting you here. Both of those guys would start on most NFL teams. But rules state that we can only have 53 men on the roster. And on this roster only one of these guys will fit on it. Will keep 6 - max - D-lineman:

Justin Smith (starter)
Ray McDonald (starter)
Tank Carradine
Quinton Dial/Tony Jerrod-Eddie
Ian Williams (starter)
Glenn Dorsey

I don't see where along the roster we can make room to keep 7 D-linman. And Ian Williams expendable? . . . . . . . . No fu_king way!!!!!! Even if he Williams don't regain his starting spot (I think he will) there's no way that Williams is expendable, at any extent.

I don't think Williams will be ready for TC and might wind up PUP / IR for the first part of the season. He's had FOUR surgeries post injury.
Originally posted by buck:
If the team is looking to trade a player, I think that Hunter would bring the most.

I would not like to see Hunter traded, but a trade for him is possible.

The player I would like to see traded is James, but he will only be traded if someone can take his place returning punts.

We might be able to get a 7th round pick for Snyder. If we can, Snyder should be traded. It is time to get some solid youngsters on the offensive line.

We also might gain a late round pick, a 6th or 7th round pick, for Dobbs. TJE outplayed him last year and Dobbs function as a tight end seems more imaginary than real.

Honestly think he's only listed as a tight end so he doesn't have to report in jumbo packages

But like most I think it comes down to LMJ if we have a reliable returner
[ Edited by cmix23 on Jul 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Acker is a long shot to make the roster. He's not beating out Morris.
Well, he won't last on the PS. See Marcus Cooper.

It's really quite simple, if Acker turns heads and plays better than Morris, then Morris will land on another team. However, if Ackers doesn't do better than Morris, the staff won't think twice about putting him on the PS.

Our team is (too) deep... other teams are salivating and waiting for us to release players.
I'm as curious as the next guy as to who gets cut. Even more interesting, will be how trent takes those guys he KNOWS are going to get cut and calls the Bills, Raids, Miami, Detroit, Chi and whoever else to see if they want to trade say LMJ for a 6th pick in 2015. As good as trent is, this is where he works like a burglar, trading guys known to be about to be cut to some other team for a pick next yr. Not sure how he manages to do this, but it remains one of the more interesting things around cut down times, in addition to the actual cuts themselves. Some of those cuts don't actually happen as trent is out stealing picks via trades from other less well stocked teams. What a weapon he has become. Could all be luck...but I strongly doubt it.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Acker is a long shot to make the roster. He's not beating out Morris.
Well, he won't last on the PS. See Marcus Cooper.

It's really quite simple, if Acker turns heads and plays better than Morris, then Morris will land on another team. However, if Ackers doesn't do better than Morris, the staff won't think twice about putting him on the PS.

Our team is (too) deep... other teams are salivating and waiting for us to release players.
I cannot disagree with any of that.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

I'm as anxious as you or anyone else and all my speculations / discussions are wearing me out

TC / preseason / final cuts can't get here fast enough.....
Just because Cooper was claimed off waivers doesn't mean Ackers will have the same fate. But I as well have a hard time believing he'll beat out Morris who I think has the inside track on replacing Rogers covering the slot.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Just because Cooper was claimed off waivers doesn't mean Ackers will have the same fate. But I as well have a hard time believing he'll beat out Morris who I think has the inside track on replacing Rogers covering the slot.
Morris will not be our opening day starter at the nickle, Jimmie Ward will.
Originally posted by LVJay:

I'm as anxious as you or anyone else and all my speculations / discussions are wearing me out

TC / preseason / final cuts can't get here fast enough.....
Ain't that the damn truth. But I'm not getting worn out yet. I'm just getting warmed up

Depends on fast Ward picks up the defense. But Morris has the edge for now. Ward hasn't even practiced yet

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'm as curious as the next guy as to who gets cut. Even more interesting, will be how trent takes those guys he KNOWS are going to get cut and calls the Bills, Raids, Miami, Detroit, Chi and whoever else to see if they want to trade say LMJ for a 6th pick in 2015. As good as trent is, this is where he works like a burglar, trading guys known to be about to be cut to some other team for a pick next yr. Not sure how he manages to do this, but it remains one of the more interesting things around cut down times, in addition to the actual cuts themselves. Some of those cuts don't actually happen as trent is out stealing picks via trades from other less well stocked teams. What a weapon he has become. Could all be luck...but I strongly doubt it.

Agree those extra 7th round picks add up. And if anybody can get good value for LMJ (if he is traded) it will be Baalke.

Depends on fast Ward picks up the defense. But Morris has the edge for now. Ward hasn't even practiced yet
Realistically, Morris isn't gonna beat out Ward. So, IMHO Morris has no "edge" to speak of. Morris is good, but lets not get this twisted. Morris is nowhere near the natural, pure, defender that Ward is. The fact that Ward hasn't practiced (in rookie camp) means absolutely nothing. The guy had a Jones fracture, that he didn't even know he had until he had the routine medical examination at the scouting combine. Hell, most people that get this injury don't even know they have this fracture, especially athletes. In fact, Ward said he didn't even feel it, nor did he have any symptoms from it. Don't get me wrong, I want JH & Co. to find any reason to keep Morris, no matter how remote (and I'm starting to think we will). I know for many here think Morris is the darling of our roster due to his sheer dogged determination to be activated (that basically forced Asomugha off the roster). But I'm sorry, Morris is nowhere near the polished defender that Ward is. Ward comes in ready and tailor made. Morris is still needing development. Otherwise HarBaalk would not have spent our 1st pick on Morris' position.

In order for Morris to gain the starting role over Ward (a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award no less) he's gonna have to make Ward look like a bust. And I just don't see that happening. . . . . . . . . IMHO
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jul 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM ]
If its Iupati....ill be pissed!!!

Realistically, Morris isn't gonna beat out Ward. So, IMHO Morris has no "edge" to speak of. Morris is good, but lets not get this twisted. Morris is nowhere near the natural, pure, defender that Ward is. The fact that Ward hasn't practiced (in rookie camp) means absolutely nothing. The guy had a Jones fracture, that he didn't even know he had until he had the routine medical examination at the scouting combine. Hell, most people that get this injury don't even know they have this fracture, especially athletes. In fact, Ward said he didn't even feel it, nor did he have any symptoms from it. Don't get me wrong, I want JH & Co. to find any reason to keep Morris, no matter how remote (and I'm starting to think we will). I know for many here think Morris is the darling of our roster due to his sheer dogged determination to be activated (that basically forced Asomugha off the roster). But I'm sorry, Morris is nowhere near the polished defender that Ward is. Ward comes in ready and tailor made. Morris is still needing development. Otherwise HarBaalk would not have spent our 1st pick on Morris' position.

In order for Morris to gain the starting role over Ward (a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award no less) he's gonna have to make Ward look like a bust. And I just don't see that happening. . . . . . . . . IMHO

You lost me there. You think learning different concepts with coverages and picking up completely new terminology with the playcalls means nothing for a rookie in OTA's and Mimi camp? If so you're very naive. I'm not saying Ward won't eventually contribute this season. But I'm not going to jump the gun and anoint him before he's even practiced once. That may be hard for you to do but it's realistic because some rookies can actually get off to a slow start.

BTW Reid and Ward's situation are not the same. Reid didn't miss any reps on the practice field in the offseason and he had a clearer path to a starting gig because his main competition was Craig Dahl who's just awful. There's much tougher competition for that nickel spot for Ward with Cox and Morris.
[ Edited by SFrush on Jul 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM ]
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
If its Iupati....ill be pissed!!!

That would be a surprise, plus it would also be a big trade too... It would be interesting to see the trade details before getting too pissed.

I doubt we trade him though as he's relatively cheap this year. I'd have to expect future 1st round compensation.
Share 49ersWebzone