LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

CB situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
I still remember the '81 rookies starting. I don't think it was Chuck Studly's call, I think that was Walsh's call. I think if Ward gets a nod over Bethea (or any of the rookie DB's getting a nod over a veteran starter), then I bet Harbaugh made the decision there, not fangio. I just don't see Fangio a risk taker like Seifert was. There is good and bad in that.

The 81 rookies started because they were the best in the league. 2 hof'ers (one career cut short by injury) + Carleton Williamson great hitter.

We didn't draft anyone like that. Plus the starters we had in the late 70s were league worst except for Hicks.

There's no parallel here whatsoever.
We got the marble. Now lets see if Donatel can make quality sculptures.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
You honestly think there's the possibility that Ward won't win the nickle CB's spot? Ward (and the 2 other CB's we drafted) is precisely the reason that Cox and Morris won't make the final cut. I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd put rent money on, baring injury, that there's no way on the planet that Ward won't be the opening day starter at nickle corner!! I have us keeping 6 CB's - Cully, Brock, Ward, Cook, Johnson, and Acker, all in that order. There's no way Johnson or Acker can be hidden on the PS, even less likely that we'll cut a 2014 drafted player, and doubtful that we carry 7 CB's (if we did Morris would be the guy we keep). Cox will not be on our 53 man roster.

I said it to say Cook nor Cox will be on the team...and the ONLY way Cox makes it is if Ward struggles. THATS IT.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I still remember the '81 rookies starting. I don't think it was Chuck Studly's call, I think that was Walsh's call. I think if Ward gets a nod over Bethea (or any of the rookie DB's getting a nod over a veteran starter), then I bet Harbaugh made the decision there, not fangio. I just don't see Fangio a risk taker like Seifert was. There is good and bad in that.

"As much as Blaine looks like a lock at #2, I think Josh has a shot."

True dat true dat (good pointers)... no disagreement here.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

The 81 rookies started because they were the best in the league. 2 hof'ers (one career cut short by injury) + Carleton Williamson great hitter.

We didn't draft anyone like that. Plus the starters we had in the late 70s were league worst except for Hicks.

There's no parallel here whatsoever.

The parallel *is* there. Three talented **rookies** and a pass rush did *fine* in 1981. The thinking at that time was that starting 3 rookies in the secondary was insane. I don't think Studly had the balls to start 3 rookies, and I don't think Fangio does either. I think that call was Walsh'S. The same if ward starts in front of bethea, that's going to be a Harbaugh decision, not a fangio decision.
Originally posted by walshjr1978:
The thing about cook is that he has talent,sometimes it takes great coaching to bring the best out of a player, if he can't succeed under donatell then he never will.

I like that insight
Even though I liked Cox as a player...I had no idea he'd make it over Morris and the rooks.

And he's played well enough to be a starter even when Brock comes back.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Even though I liked Cox as a player...I had no idea he'd make it over Morris and the rooks.

I agree I think we should start Brock and Cox when Brock is ready to come back
I said it to say Cook nor Cox will be on the team...and the ONLY way Cox makes it is if Ward struggles. THATS IT.

You blew that assessment BIG TIME! I'm sure glad you don't make the roster decisions. Cox is playing out of his mind right now. He'll probably take over the slot when Brock returns or they have him slide to the other side and take over for Cully and move Cully to the slot. We'll see, either way our secondary is ballin'!
Originally posted by sf1974:

You blew that assessment BIG TIME! I'm sure glad you don't make the roster decisions. Cox is playing out of his mind right now. He'll probably take over the slot when Brock returns or they have him slide to the other side and take over for Cully and move Cully to the slot. We'll see, either way our secondary is ballin'!

I honestly doubt the Niners change anything right now when Brock comes back. The secondary is playing well, Ward took his bumps early but he's been good the last few weeks. Cox is getting all the attention (and well deserved) he's been one of the best CBs in football, I want him to get an extension ASAP, he's doing work on the outside & I highly doubt the team would risk messing w/that while also benching their 1st round pick. They will either put Brock as the dime back or replace Culliver.

Originally posted by sf1974:

But he was man enough to admit it #respect
I think the extension is between Cox or Cully. Whoever doesnt make the cut will be allowed to walk and replaced by Donta Johnson.
Originally posted by Andra:

I agree I think we should start Brock and Cox when Brock is ready to come back

Agree with this
This is a really fun thread to go back and read through!
Brock may go back to nickel when he was doing great before he got injured a few years ago. Even though Brock and cox are our 2 best CBS cully is not a slot guy so it may be cox and cully on the outside and Brock at nickel.
Share 49ersWebzone