There are 273 users in the forums

CB situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by sf1974:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
I said it to say Cook nor Cox will be on the team...and the ONLY way Cox makes it is if Ward struggles. THATS IT.

You blew that assessment BIG TIME! I'm sure glad you don't make the roster decisions. Cox is playing out of his mind right now. He'll probably take over the slot when Brock returns or they have him slide to the other side and take over for Cully and move Cully to the slot. We'll see, either way our secondary is ballin'!

But he was man enough to admit it #respect
more people should do that around here
This coaching staff has tried all off season to get Brock and Cully together on the outside at the same time. And they are stubborn so my guesstimate will be Cox will slide in to his old slot spit over Ward. You HAVE to get your 3 best CB's on the field at the same time especially with all the Nickle/Dime we play.
why change what's working? Keep cox where he is. Split watd and cully at slot. Cullu
Y gets big guys ward getz the welkers.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I honestly doubt the Niners change anything right now when Brock comes back. The secondary is playing well, Ward took his bumps early but he's been good the last few weeks. Cox is getting all the attention (and well deserved) he's been one of the best CBs in football, I want him to get an extension ASAP, he's doing work on the outside & I highly doubt the team would risk messing w/that while also benching their 1st round pick. They will either put Brock as the dime back or replace Culliver.

I highly doubt they would hesitate to put the very best on the field b/c of 1st rd pick status or not...this is not a knock on Ward (I'm a huge fan). Harbaugh preaches competition and Fangio prefers veterans who are battled tested. Brock was our best CB when healthy and Cox is playing out of his mind. Cully has the size to play slot, he has the speed too. He's been in the system 4yrs. And would hope he has a pretty good grasp of the nickel/dime/slot responsibilities. Guys this is a great problem to have from a DC point of view.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
why change what's working? Keep cox where he is. Split watd and cully at slot. Cullu
Y gets big guys ward getz the welkers.

I agree with this. You dont move over your best corner.
Originally posted by sf1974:
I honestly doubt the Niners change anything right now when Brock comes back. The secondary is playing well, Ward took his bumps early but he's been good the last few weeks. Cox is getting all the attention (and well deserved) he's been one of the best CBs in football, I want him to get an extension ASAP, he's doing work on the outside & I highly doubt the team would risk messing w/that while also benching their 1st round pick. They will either put Brock as the dime back or replace Culliver.

I highly doubt they would hesitate to put the very best on the field b/c of 1st rd pick status or not...this is not a knock on Ward (I'm a huge fan). Harbaugh preaches competition and Fangio prefers veterans who are battled tested. Brock was our best CB when healthy and Cox is playing out of his mind. Cully has the size to play slot, he has the speed too. He's been in the system 4yrs. And would hope he has a pretty good grasp of the nickel/dime/slot responsibilities. Guys this is a great problem to have from a DC point of view.

My opinion is more based on 2 things, not messing with what's working right now & not moving Cox around. I seriously doubt they move him to the slot which would take him off the field more & off the outside where he's been tremendous so far this season. IMO, unless they want Brock to replace Culliver, they won't mess w/success. I'd be fine w/them starting Brock over Culliver (whom I also think has done a nice job but I view Brock as the better CB).
This coaching staff has tried all off season to get Brock and Cully together on the outside at the same time. And they are stubborn so my guesstimate will be Cox will slide in to his old slot spit over Ward. You HAVE to get your 3 best CB's on the field at the same time especially with all the Nickle/Dime we play.

They would be nuts to move Cox, he's been the #2 rated CB (with the most INTs) in the NFL. Something I think a lot of ppl (not saying u particularly) forget, is Culliver used to play the slot in 2012 a lot so that is also a possibility. I still say they don't mess w/what's working right now and insert Brock as the dime back for the time being.
  • thl408

They would be nuts to move Cox, he's been the #2 rated CB (with the most INTs) in the NFL. Something I think a lot of ppl (not saying u particularly) forget, is Culliver used to play the slot in 2012 a lot so that is also a possibility. I still say they don't mess w/what's working right now and insert Brock as the dime back for the time being.

I'm fairly certain that Cully has never played slot CB. He was the nickel back in 2012 but not the slot CB. Rogers slid to the slot while Cully played LCB. Moving Cully to slot would be very new to him.

I'm not sure about Cox's ability to play RCB, but Brock has played both RCB and LCB.
Originally posted by thl408:

I'm fairly certain that Cully has never played slot CB. He was the nickel back in 2012 but not the slot CB. Rogers slid to the slot while Cully played LCB. Moving Cully to slot would be very new to him.

I'm not sure about Cox's ability to play RCB, but Brock has played both RCB and LCB.

ahhhh crap, good call man, I just remember him being the "nickle" CB and equated that to playing the slot.
I've often wondered how Brock would fare in the slot being that he seems to have all the physical traits to succeed in the middle.

Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I've often wondered how Brock would fare in the slot being that he seems to have all the physical traits to succeed in the middle.

I hope he heals up enough this season for us to find out. I really like our short and longterm situation with our corners. If we can extend both Cox and Culliver for cheap, we'll be in great shape with Cox, Brock, Culliver, while veterans, all very young, and have young guys like Ward, Johnson, Acker, and Reaser. We could (and should) draft one. Baalke has a knack for finding DBs. I don't think he's missed yet, which is why I'm not worried about Jimmy Ward.
The fact that we seem to be scrambling to interview CBs, makes me think we didn't expect to lose both Cox and Cully. In this league, you need a lot more than two starters. The fact is, you need at least three solid starters and good depth. You can't face the Brady and Rogers of the league with to starters and a bunch of scrubs. Their three and four WR sets will eat you up.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
The fact that we seem to be scrambling to interview CBs, makes me think we didn't expect to lose both Cox and Cully. In this league, you need a lot more than two starters. The fact is, you need at least three solid starters and good depth. You can't face the Brady and Rogers of the league with to starters and a bunch of scrubs. Their three and four WR sets will eat you up.

We are? We signed Cook, signed Wright and are now interviewing Moore as we speak. Why so many DB's? I think we'll see much more nickle this year vs. coverage ILB's.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

We are? We signed Cook, signed Wright and are now interviewing Moore as we speak. Why so many DB's? I think we'll see much more nickle this year vs. coverage ILB's.

I'm thinking this as well....and frankly I'm not sure how I feel about that dealing with the run heavy teams in our division...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Teams were inquiring about a trade for Dee Milliner of the Jets 2013 #9 overall pick, I wonder if one of those teams were the 49ers??
Share 49ersWebzone