LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

CB situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm reading a lot of articles that say Kenneth acker may be placed on the p-squad, this would be a mistake if he shows any potential in preseason games. I hope TrentB learned from the M.cooper situation last season, nhamdi roster spot should've went to him. I'm hoping the top 6-CB are:

Brock
culliver
cook or cox-don't cut one of young guys for either of these two if the young player shows potential
morris
d.johnson
k.acker
This is really going to be a fierce competition.

It will be interesting to see if Cook can have an awakening w/a move to press. If he can it will be an excellent pick up.

I'm more concerned about Cully's recovery from the ACL. We'll see.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

It will be interesting to see if Cook can have an awakening w/a move to press. If he can it will be an excellent pick up.

I am equally concerned about his common sense.
The thing about cook is that he has talent,sometimes it takes great coaching to bring the best out of a player, if he can't succeed under donatell then he never will.
I'm a Morris fan, when training camp begins watch him. Cook has all the tools physically, his future along with others hinges on the pre-season. I'm optimistic, this unit may be one of the team strengths this year.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I'm a Morris fan, when training camp begins watch him. Cook has all the tools physically, his future along with others hinges on the pre-season. I'm optimistic, this unit may be one of the team strengths this year.

I hope so. The youth and athleticism is there
Don't forget Ward in the slot.

Man if this group of no names can be a strength on this team give Donatelle a raise. He always does so good with low end draft pick CB's tho so I wouldn't be suprised
I'm expecting us to pick someone up during the season. Our CB department is a disaster at the moment.
Originally posted by tondiman:
I'm expecting us to pick someone up during the season. Our CB department is a disaster at the moment.

I don't think it's so bad. The Niners defense is dependent on a really good front seven to keep pressure on the QB and force quick decisions. The secondary doesn't have to be all world because of this. I'd be more worried with the number of games Aldon will be out than the secondary.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I am equally concerned about his common sense.

Good call!

Someone once said, "Common sense isn't common practice."

I really hope Cully has gotten the wake-up-call about life. Not very many people get a 2nd great opportunity in their lives. Playing in the NFL is an opportunity of a lifetime. I hope he doesn't become his own worst enemy.

• cools
  • Veteran
Brock- Solid starter
Culliver- Will be playing for future contract (elsewhere) should have good season
Cook- Word is, he's looked good in camp, but even if he doesn't pan out, we have young depth behind him
Cox- He's ok, should be solid backup till the youngsters take over
Morris- Young stud who continues to improve, I expect he will be a fixture on this team for years
Ward- I think he ends up staying at CB, and we find Bethea's future replacement elsewhere (like McCray)
Johnson, Acker, Reaser- 3 rooks with very good attributes, I expect the Niners will find a way to stash em without exposing them to waivers

Im excited about our CB's, we have so many, will be interesting to see who steps up
[ Edited by cools on Jul 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by JoeBart324:

I don't think it's so bad. The Niners defense is dependent on a really good front seven to keep pressure on the QB and force quick decisions. The secondary doesn't have to be all world because of this. I'd be more worried with the number of games Aldon will be out than the secondary.

We've gotten knocked out the last two seasons because of our CB's. When it really counts the ENTIRE defense has to be on point. Great teams exploit weaknesses, and CB is our MAJOR weakness.

Key errors from our secondary also cost us the NFCCG last year.
Originally posted by JoeBart324:

We've gotten knocked out the last two seasons because of our CB's. When it really counts the ENTIRE defense has to be on point. Great teams exploit weaknesses, and CB is our MAJOR weakness.

Key errors from our secondary also cost us the NFCCG last year.

I dont think our CB situation is a disaster. I think our CB situation is actually a lot like our RB situation. 1 or 2 starters and a lot of question marks but nobody is saying, or at least i dont think so, that our RB situation is a disaster. Brock was solid last year. Culliver was showing progress and got hurt but seems like more and more players are coming back from those injuries. Cox in my opinion is very solid and at worst is a good backup/slot. He played really well in the 2 playoff games prior to NFCCG and in my opinion should have started over Rogers but I guess Rogers got the start because he was the default starter. We know how that worked. Cook has played in the NFL but hasnt proven himself. He can go either way. Morris is coming along from what it sounds like. 3 rookies left to compete and I think johnson is gonna be a starter for years in the near future if not sooner. I dont know why everybody is so worried. I think the big worry is experience but the flip side to that is there is a lot of youth. I think talent and depth is there and I think (hope) secondary is a strength this season. Bill Walsh started 3 rookies in the secondary one year and won a SB. Not saying we have Walsh or any comparisons other than it can/has been done
Originally posted by cools:
Brock- Solid starter
Culliver- Will be playing for future contract (elsewhere) should have good season
Cook- Word is, he's looked good in camp, but even if he doesn't pan out, we have young depth behind him
Cox- He's ok, should be solid backup till the youngsters take over
Morris- Young stud who continues to improve, I expect he will be a fixture on this team for years
Ward- I think he ends up staying at CB, and we find Bethea's future replacement elsewhere (like McCray)
Johnson, Acker, Reaser- 3 rooks with very good attributes, I expect the Niners will find a way to stash em without exposing them to waivers

Im excited about our CB's, we have so many, will be interesting to see who steps up
why elsewhere? we were already looking to extend him before his arrest, I think we'll end up getting it done for even cheaper now at some point this season.
Brock
Cully
Cook
Morris
Johnson
Acker

Ward will be a NB this year too.. could take Cooks spot on this list. I would prefer we keep Morris/Johnson/Acker over Cook.
Share 49ersWebzone