LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Best Off Season Moves

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I Know, I know - Many of you guys hate the Bleacher Report BUT

This is a really good article/slide show

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2110910-ranking-san-francisco-49ers-10-best-moves-of-2014-offseason/page/12

Do you agree w/their assessments?
  • thl408
IMO the top three are:

1. Extending Kap for the contract that was signed.
2. Acquiring SJ for a 4th rounder.
3. Drafting MMartin.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Baalke has made many good off season moves.

1. extend Kaepernick
2. pick up fifth year of Aldon Smith
3. sign Bethea
4. re-sign Boldin
5. re-sign Dawson
6. trade for Gabbert
7. trade for Johnson
8. extend Kilgore
9. sign UDFA James McCray
11. draft Ellington
12. draft Dontae Johnson
13. draft Carlos Hyde
14. draft Brandon Thomas
15. pick up Costanzo
16. draft M Martin
17. pick up J Martin

[ Edited by buck on Jun 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM ]
Bleacher is much better than it used to be.
I love Bleacher Report.
Originally posted by thl408:
IMO the top three are:

1. Extending Kap for the contract that was signed.
2. Acquiring SJ for a 4th rounder.
3. Drafting MMartin.

Adding to the 4th round pick for Johnson is we got a 4th round pick for next year back by trading down this year.
Looks about right. And I just hate them slideshows
I think the absolute best move this offseason was drafting Marcus Martin in the 3rd round. Center was a bigger need than people realized IMO, and Martin was a steal.
I like bucks list. I would rearrange it:

5. extend Kaepernick
4. pick up fifth year of Aldon Smith
3. sign Bethea
1. re-sign Boldin
2. re-sign Dawson
7. trade for Johnson
9. extend Kilgore
12. sign UDFA James McCray
11. draft Ellington
13. draft Dontae Johnson
8. draft Carlos Hyde
10. pick up Costanzo
6. draft M Martin
I would go

1.) extending kaep
2.) acquiring SJ for only a 4th
3.) resigning Boldin
4.) singing Bethea
5.) drafting M.martin

6.) not trading harbaugh to browns I know this was just Nonsense made up by kawkami and florio.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:49 PM ]

Good read
Yeah, take your pick! I didn't even include the draft...

Losses:
Defensive Assistant/Outside Linebackers Coach, Peter Hansen
Coaches Tim Drevno & Paul Wulff
OL Jonathan Goodwin (35 @ $3.16M) - Cut
SS Donte Whitner - Signed with the loser Browns for 4-year, $28M range, per @RapSheet. AB81Rules expected that we'd resign him to a 3-year deal, worth $15M, a $5M base average (good reference for how much the Brown's are getting ripped off).
CB Terell Brown - Signed a 1-year $3.5M contract with the loser, Raiders.
CB Carlos Rogers - Released and will be completely off the books accounting for an extra $6.6M on June 1st in salary cap relief. Also signed with the loser Raiders (where Niner's go to die - the Black Hole).
WR Mario Manningham - Signed with the loser Giants.
RB Anthony Dixon - Signed with some loser team like the rest.
QB Colt McCoy - Unrestricted and gone (27 @ $1.44M); signed with the Redskins.
FB Alex Debniak & WR Brandon Carswell - Cut
OLB Darius Fleming, DT Christian Tupou. WR DeMarco Sampson & CB Dax Swanson - Cut
CB Eric Wright - Retired

Gains/Moves:
Clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the agents of players who are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents. No contracts can be signed until March 11 at 1 p.m. (PT).
Another great resource for contract details: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/yearly/
2015 Draft Picks - 7 picks inlcuding the 4th back that we lost for Stevie Johnson.
2014 Draft Picks - 11 picks with 6 in the first 100.
CB Tramaine Brock - Signed to a 4-year, $16M extension (last 2013 move back in November)
WR Jon Baldwin - Base salary in 2014 is now $645k (down from $1.4M). $755 available in (unreachable) incentives.
S Craig Dahl - Base salary has been reduced from $1.35M down to $825,000. That would be a $525,000 savings, plus he may have had his $250,000 roster bonus, and $50,000 workout bonus eliminated, which would make the savings as much as $825,000.
C Daniel Kilgore - The 49ers signed Kilgore, 26, to 3-year extension today that could keep the 2011 fifth-round pick with the team through 2017. The contract averages $1.8M per season with escalators of $900K available in the last two years, plus $900K in incentives in '17. DK's 2014 base is guaranteed and he also has a separate $600K roster bonus due April 1st, 2015 guaranteed for injury.
WR Anquan Boldin - Signed a two-year contract @ $12M with $9M guaranteed. Matt Maiocco: Anquan Boldin's first year cap number is $2.364M. Deal is actually 5 years (for cap reasons) but voids after 2 years.
Secondary/Assistant Defensive Coach Ed Donatell - Agreed to a two-year deal. If Donatell signed just a one-year extension, he could have been a candidate for defensive coordinator jobs next year. But the 49ers coveted him and clearly made it worth his while to stick around for the next two years.
Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio - The FO has extended Fangio through 2015.
ILB Michael Wilhoite - Exclusive rights (will be back).
13 players signed to reserve/future contracts - Those players include: QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, RB Jewel Hampton, WR Devon Wylie, WR DeMarco Sampson, WR David Reed, WR Chuck Jacobs, OG Al Netter, OT Carter Bykowski, DT Christian Tupou, NT Mike Purcell, CB Dax Swanson, SS D.J. Campbell & P Colton Schmidt
DE Demarcus Dobbs - #49ers expected to place lowest level tender ($1.4M) on RFA defensive end Demarcus Dobbs. First reported by @TomPelissero.
K Phil Dawson - AB81Rules projected a 1-year deal, worth $2.5M, with a $1M signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus, and a $1.4M base salary. Updating previous reports, San Francisco 49ers PK Phil Dawson received a two-year, $6.134 million deal with a $2 million signing bonus. He receives $3 million in the first year and can earn $25,000 in incentives each year.
SS Antoine Bethea - #49ers have reached agreement with Antoine Bethea on a four-year deal worth $21M per MB. Per AB81Rules: 2014- $3M ($1.25M base, $1.25M prorated bonus, $400K roster, and $100K workout)2015- $4.75M ($3M base, $1.25M prorated bonus, $400K roster, and $100K workout)2016- $5.75M ($4M base, $1.25M prorated bonus, $400K roster, and $100K workout)2017- $7M ($5.25M base, $1.25M prorated bonus, $400K roster, and $100K workout). 2014 base is fully guaranteed, 2015 is on signing, becomes fully on April 1 2015.
QB Blaine Gabbert - Adam Schefter, Jacksonville traded him to SF for a 6th round pick, per sources @ $2M a year; expected to rework final year of his original contract to, potentially, serve as backup.
CB Eric Wright - Resigns to a 1-year contract. Details pending.
OT Jonathan Martin - The Dolphins will get a seventh-round pick in 2015 if Martin is on the opening day roster this season. The 49ers play so many six-man O-line sets (used to be Daniel Kilgore's job who is now poised to start at center), so they needed another quality sixth man." He also doubles as our swing-T and will compete with OT Luke Marquardt.
CB Chris Cook - As expected, newly added cornerback Chris Cook signed a one-year deal for the league minimum $730,000, according to NFLPA records. He will count $570,000 against the salary cap.
CB Chris Culliver - A source told CSNBayArea.com the 49ers plan to enter into talks with Culliver's representation on a contract extension this offseason. Culliver is entering the final season of his rookie deal.
FB Bruce Miller - $645,000, along with new base salaries of $1.1 million in 2015, $1.25 million in 2016, and $1.45 million in 2017, he also received a $1.786 million signing bonus.He also is eligible for $160,000 per game roster bonuses in 2015-2017, along with $40,000 workout bonuses in 2015-2017. He also has $200,000 escalators for 2015-2017, base on making the pro bowl the previous year.The 3-year extension is worth $5.4 million.
ST/WR Kassim Osgood - Osgood getting $955k base, $20k first game roster bonus.
CB Perrish Cox - Has agreed to terms on one-year deal, source said (per MM).
WILL Aldon Smith - We picked up his 2015 5th-year option, worth $9.754 million, which doesn't hurt the 2014 salary cap in any way. According to MM, with the 5th-year option signed, we have him signed for 2014 and 2015. In short, we don't expect to sign him long-term any time soon. We get him cheaper now for 2 years than if we had signed him to an early LT contract and we always have the option to place the Franchise Tag on him in 2016 & 2017. Technically we could have him for 2014, 2015 at a cheap rate for a premier pass rusher and tag him in 2016 and 2017 without having to sign him to a long term deal. Good business sense. The 49ers would like to complete Kaepernick's new contract before the start of training camp in late-July.
WR Brandon Lloyd - Lloyd's contract with the 49ers consists of the veteran minimum $955,000 base salary with $50,000 available through a workout bonus. His contract includes no signing bonus, the source said. He has more than the allowable amount of incentives in his contract, a source said, which means the 49ers do not receive the minimum salary benefit. Lloyd's deal counts $1.005 million against the 49ers' salary cap.
WR Stevie Johnson - 6'2" 210 and runs a 4.45 (Revis & Dick-Shaker) for a conditional 4th/3rd round pick in 2015. 3 straight seasons of 1,000. Cap numbers are $3.925M ('14), $6.025M ('15), and $6.125M ('16).
QB Josh Johnson - again.
ILB Chase Thomas - back with the Stanford coaches.
ST Blake Costanzo - MB & MM report that he and the Tony Montana Hit Squad have rejoined the team.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/#RQ4Ye0VOtXxIQcRl.99
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:04 AM ]
My favorite off-season moves:

1. Re-signing Kap.....team friendly deal that will give SF a lot of freedom, but pays him top money if he performs (great motivation).
2. Re-signing Boldin....He is a rock at WR and will help teach younger WRs the NFL game.
3.Trade for Johnson...SF native, great route runner, and is insurance for Crabs. I love how we traded back to gain 4th rd pick we lost for SJ.
4. Drafting 12 players...plan for the future!! We will have some cap issue's in 2015 and this made sense, also we grabbed BPA and got a lot of steals!
5. Re-signing Vic...I think this wasn't talked about enough, great defensive mind and the SYSTEM is a huge factor in what makes SF a top 5 D.
6. Picking up Smith's option...No way he is leaving SF, unless he goes full retard this year, plus we can resign him in 2015 helping to low cap for that yr.
7. Signing Bethea...pro-bowl safety, might not be as good as Whitner, but no more personal fouls and his deal is really a 2-yr deal (help groom Ward).
8. Cutting Rogers...had to be done, he has lost a couple steps and I was tired of watching him get burned. Saved $6.6 million and he wasn't even close to worth that.
9. Re-signing Dawson...real solid kicker and it was nice to feel confident when he went up to kick. I was sweating bullets every time Akers was kicking field goals.
10 trading for Gabbert, Martin, picking up Cook...SF does this every year and grabs talent in the off season for next to nothing (Boldin,Dorsey, Whitner, Rogers etc) and gets the most out of those players. I hope that's the same for these 3!
^^^ agreed!

Secondary/Assistant Defensive Coach Ed Donatell - Agreed to a two-year deal. If Donatell signed just a one-year extension, he could have been a candidate for defensive coordinator jobs next year. But the 49ers coveted him and clearly made it worth his while to stick around for the next two years.

This also was one of my favorite moves. We cut Rogers, Whitner bolts and Brown goes to the Raiders. You don't think this FO recognized the importance of a top notch secondary coach? A guy that has proven here that he can actually develop players (and get rookies up to speed to be starters - Reid)...even if it takes them a couple+ years to do so (Brock, Culliver, Cox, etc.).
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ agreed!

This also was one of my favorite moves. We cut Rogers, Whitner bolts and Brown goes to the Raiders. You don't think this FO recognized the importance of a top notch secondary coach? A guy that has proven here that he can actually develop players (and get rookies up to speed to be starters - Reid)...even if it takes them a couple years to do so (Brock, Culliver, Cox, etc.).

I thought about throwing Donatell on the list as well! He is a boss and I'm glad SF didn't allow teams to talk to him this off season lol. He would most likely be our D coordinator once Vic is gone.
Share 49ersWebzone