LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ethan:
Gabbert is the second youngest QB on the roster (a few months older than Faulkner the free agent), and the most naturally gifted. He'd have to break his right arm not to be one of the two quarterbacks they carry. It's not a question of whether one of the other guys overtake him on the depth chart, it's a question of whether he gets a shot at the starter role. If Kaepernick gets nicked, or busted for something, or has a couple games like he did early last year, Gabbert is in.

Are you saying that you think Gabbert is, or will be, a better quarterback than Kaepernick?

It sounds like that to me, but I could well be wrong.

That isn't what he is saying. Let's not try to stir up a QB controversy where none exists.

If there is a QB controversy - in my opinion - it would be between Josh and Blaine.

Oh, agree with that. But as strong in depth as this team is, not even the 49ers can describe a battle between the backups as a QB controversy!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Gabbert is the second youngest QB on the roster (a few months older than Faulkner the free agent), and the most naturally gifted. He'd have to break his right arm not to be one of the two quarterbacks they carry. It's not a question of whether one of the other guys overtake him on the depth chart, it's a question of whether he gets a shot at the starter role. If Kaepernick gets nicked, or busted for something, or has a couple games like he did early last year, Gabbert is in.

Are you saying that you think Gabbert is, or will be, a better quarterback than Kaepernick?

It sounds like that to me, but I could well be wrong.

That isn't what he is saying. Let's not try to stir up a QB controversy where none exists.

If there is a QB controversy - in my opinion - it would be between Josh and Blaine.
and i am pretty sure few people really care who makes it. i do not because if they ever see the field that would probably mean bad things for us. they could mop up in blowouts but knowing our team and coaches,, most of our games will probably continue to be harder than they should be. i think the last ass kicking we gave someone was maybe the bills a couple years ago up there?? most of em are pulling teeth

Originally posted by cciowa:
the backup qb is always nervewracking because you never want him to see the field,, a choice of who your number two or three will be is always a choice of bad choices. you just have to pick the best worst choice. in theory the better man will rise to the top in practice. i do not care the name as long as he can come in for a short term, make good choices, no mistakes and manage a game with our run game and violently good defense. if ck gets hurt we go from winning a game 34-14 to 13-9... I had to put in some field goals because roman is not good enough to get five touchdowns when he has five chances in the red zone,, but thats a while other story for a whole other thread

I Remember Jeff Kemp coming into the starting lineup to sub in for joe. He was 3-2 as a starter. But those wins were by the skin of our teeth. Watching him play was nervewracking. What would have been blowouts were barely wins and what would have been tough wins were flat out losses.
oh for the days of bono and elvis
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i have no idea what i did
and i am pretty sure few people really care who makes it. i do not because if they ever see the field that would probably mean bad things for us. they could mop up in blowouts but knowing our team and coaches,, most of our games will probably continue to be harder than they should be. i think the last ass kicking we gave someone was maybe the bills a couple years ago up there?? most of em are pulling teeth

I still remember the Keep Bono and Trade Young arguments! Don't recall much in the way of controversy about about Grbac though.
i have no idea what i did

POTD!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I still remember the Keep Bono and Trade Young arguments! Don't recall much in the way of controversy about about Grbac though.
i guess my point was that many of us were ok with elvis as a back up because he did come in and we did not have a heart attack.. of course when big games were on the line after young got hurt, he failed as a starter in a high pressure game.. but as a back up,, we could have done a helluva lot worse
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Oh, agree with that. But as strong in depth as this team is, not even the 49ers can describe a battle between the backups as a QB controversy!

people that have to much time on their hands can describe it that way
i guess my point was that many of us were ok with elvis as a back up because he did come in and we did not have a heart attack.. of course when big games were on the line after young got hurt, he failed as a starter in a high pressure game.. but as a back up,, we could have done a helluva lot worse

Yeah. Not bad for a 7th round pick.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Yeah. Not bad for a 7th round pick.

help me, did he come in and do a playoff game when young got hurt vs philly... i seem to remember young scoring a touchdown, since he was our best running back,, he got hit late in the end zone, he threw the ball at the player who hit him,, he hurt his ribs,, tried to play with shots and a big flack jacket but was in effective.. then elvis came in... do i have any of that right???
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Majority of the coaches polled by ESPN did not rate Kaepernick in the top half of the league starters at QB. He turns 27 this year, so he isn't going to get much better. The contract he signed was hardly a gesture of faith from the team. I don't get the feeling that they think he is necessarily the long term answer. Which is probably the reason they brought in Gabbert rather than some older, cheaper, veteran backup guy like Hill, Fitzpatrick, Hasselbeck, Cassel, etc.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Majority of the coaches polled by ESPN did not rate Kaepernick in the top half of the league starters at QB. He turns 27 this year, so he isn't going to get much better. The contract he signed was hardly a gesture of faith from the team. I don't get the feeling that they think he is necessarily the long term answer. Which is probably the reason they brought in Gabbert rather than some older, cheaper, veteran backup guy like Hill, Fitzpatrick, Hasselbeck, Cassel, etc.

your theory on ck is insane on many levels

1.. you really think the niners do something based upon a espn poll?
2 your statement that ck is not likely to improve is completely without basis or merit,, what makes you say that? 27, showed great improvement from his first to second year,, what the f**k does being however old he is has anything do to with improvement,,, maybe your boy gabbert is not likely to get any better ? did you ever think of that or is that appalling to you?
3 he signed an extension so he is the answer long term,, if he is not, who is? gabbert?? list the reasons why ck is not the long term and why someone else is?
4 the words romper f**king room want to leap off this keyboard but i will restrain myself
come one man, you are really really transparent here
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

• cciowa
  • Veteran

i should have done by giedi did and just leave it at that,, but i am not mentally tough enough to do that,,, but wow ethan,, just wow
  • thl408

If you don't think Kap is the long answer, that's fine, but don't use the acquisition of Gabbert to justify that thought.

Also, since when is a SIX year deal "hardly a gesture of faith"?
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
If you don't think Kap is the long answer, that's fine, but don't use the acquisition of Gabbert to justify that thought.

Also, since when is a SIX year deal "hardly a gesture of faith"?

It's a series of one year deals. Don't kid yourself.
Share 49ersWebzone