LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 154 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
The Jags didn't look bad when Henne was under center. He made Blackmon look like an All-Pro.

I wasn't a fan of Gabbert coming out of college because he played in a spread where all he did was make pre-snap reads, pick a target, hike-and-throw. With press coverages, he can't do that. I think he's been playing catch up seeing the field and reading coverages after the snap. His accuracy and arm strength are fine. I think the problem he's been having falls between his ears. As he continues to progress with learning the offense and finding his hot rouse, he'll be fine.

Harbaugh is good for QBs because he has a QB-friendly offense and he speaks their language. There's no reason to believe Gabbert can't get better in SF. On the other hand, a guy like Hoyer or Henne could thrive under Harbaugh. I only mention them because they were possibilities this offseason.

Between a guy like Kory with no bad habits vs Blaine with bad habits from the Jags, or a guy with good habits from the git go (Josh) - I'm betting the guy with the already good habits has the better shot.

Point being - Harbaugh says it takes 1,000 repetitions to cure 1 bad habit. That's a lot of reps for Blaine to do.
Originally posted by Igotta:
Originally posted by jrg:
Of course I'm happy to have Gabbert because I'm a huge Mizzou fan and have met Gabbert a few times, but overall I'm just much more comfortable with him as a backup to lead this team over Colt McCoy.

That's really the important part. Did we get better when we signed him? I think yes.

Though, hopefully, we'll never find out :)
interesting point - maybe another possible point of analysis??? I do have coaches film from the past 3 seasons so I could look at McCoy's tape from the Browns
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
The Jags didn't look bad when Henne was under center. He made Blackmon look like an All-Pro.

I wasn't a fan of Gabbert coming out of college because he played in a spread where all he did was make pre-snap reads, pick a target, hike-and-throw. With press coverages, he can't do that. I think he's been playing catch up seeing the field and reading coverages after the snap. His accuracy and arm strength are fine. I think the problem he's been having falls between his ears. As he continues to progress with learning the offense and finding his hot rouse, he'll be fine.

Harbaugh is good for QBs because he has a QB-friendly offense and he speaks their language. There's no reason to believe Gabbert can't get better in SF. On the other hand, a guy like Hoyer or Henne could thrive under Harbaugh. I only mention them because they were possibilities this offseason.

There were about 20 possibilities, similar to Hoyer and Henne, who wouldn't have cost them any draft picks, and probably less salary than Gabbert. But Harbaugh and Baalke chose to trade picks for Gabbert and take on a $2 million + contract for 2014, instead. It was the first move they made, the moment the league year opened, so it obviously had been in the works for a while beforehand. I think they thought it was a bargain then, and think it is even more of a bargain now.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
There were about 20 possibilities, similar to Hoyer and Henne, who wouldn't have cost them any draft picks, and probably less salary than Gabbert. But Harbaugh and Baalke chose to trade picks for Gabbert and take on a $2 million + contract for 2014, instead. It was the first move they made, the moment the league year opened, so it obviously had been in the works for a while beforehand. I think they thought it was a bargain then, and think it is even more of a bargain now.

It does seem that Baalke and Harbaugh want Gabbert to be the back-up quarterback.

Looks like that job is his to lose.

I hope he works out, but I'm not reading
much into the trade. We gave up a pick for Colt in a similar move. I'm not a Gabbert fan, but he a much better option than Colt, as is Josh Johnson.

I thought we had something promising in BJ Daniels though. Too bad he couldn't stick around.
Originally posted by cciowa:
he was better than ck in the combine
he was better than anyone in the gatorade challenge (sounds like something howard cosell would have emceed in 1974)
yes by all means we need to crown his ass. of course he has no chance to play extended duty or to start on our team due to the quality we have in front of him but i am sure that is just a minor thing. sounds like gabbertexcuses to me

Well, obviously Kaepernick is the starter, but there are reasons that teams carry two or three quarterbacks. Mainly the possibility of injury to the starter. That is how Kap got his job. That is how Gabbert lost his in Jacksonville.

That job was Kaps the moment he was drafted, "He who shall not be named" was simply keeping it warm. Harbaugh was looking for an excuse to insert Kap, and Jacksonville was looking for a reason to sit Gabbert. The fact that there was an injury was just an easy excuse for the respective coaches.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
That job was Kaps the moment he was drafted, "He who shall not be named" was simply keeping it warm. Harbaugh was looking for an excuse to insert Kap, and Jacksonville was looking for a reason to sit Gabbert. The fact that there was an injury was just an easy excuse for the respective coaches.

So, who should I put my money on in the World Cup? Give me the inside scoop on the next President, while you're at it, I don't want to wait two more years to find out.

So, who should I put my money on in the World Cup? Give me the inside scoop on the next President, while you're at it, I don't want to wait two more years to find out.

Kap was clearly the future prior to the beginning of that season it was only a mater of time, and looking in hindsight it's pretty obvious. Sorry if you can't/couldn't see it. I could and couldn't wait for Kap to start. Proof is somewhere here on these boards. You are welcome to dig it up if you like.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Kap was clearly the future prior to the beginning of that season it was only a mater of time, and looking in hindsight it's pretty obvious. Sorry if you can't/couldn't see it. I could and couldn't wait for Kap to start. Proof is somewhere here on these boards. You are welcome to dig it up if you like.

Personally I think the battle for backup is going to be competitive. Nobody is talking about McBLT either. He has some physical skills. I don't think Blaine is a lock as the backup QB. Tolzien and Colt were disappointments and plateaued, and Jim wants QB'S that continue to progress. I think that was a major reason both were let go.

Again, Blaine has a lot to learn and unlearn, compared to some of the other QB'S battling it out. Doing good at OTA'S doesn't necessary translate to pre-season games.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Personally I think the battle for backup is going to be competitive. Nobody is talking about McBLT either. He has some physical skills. I don't think Blaine is a lock as the backup QB. Tolzien and Colt were disappointments and plateaued, and Jim wants QB'S that continue to progress. I think that was a major reason both were let go.

Again, Blaine has a lot to learn and unlearn, compared to some of the other QB'S battling it out. Doing good at OTA'S doesn't necessary translate to pre-season games.

I feel soooo much better about our backup QB spot this year.

Recall the minor controversy, before Alex was benched, where Kap was inserted at random into games during the 2012 season? (It supposedly threw off the offense's rhythm, put Alex into a hole on 3rd down, etc). Starting with the season opener at GB, when they put Kap in right before halftime and Akers kicked that 63 yarder, Kap was increasingly a component of the offense anyway. In retrospect, he had obviously progressed so far that they couldn't keep him on the bench any longer and it was all just a matter of time.
Somehow, I just don't see gabbert as QB ready to backup. He has had a couple rough yrs, and if he were our guy, I would be sick. Fortunately our late but very able signing made me feel a whole lot better. There I can see wins against non elites...and that's what you expect from your #1 backup. If it were gabbert we would be in the stew if kap went out for 3-4 weeks. As of now I am happy, but with the size of contract, that means that JH is going to be working on making gabbert a dependable Qb. Maybe, but if he does it in less than a year I will be amazed. FAce, it, blaine was HORRID prior to coming here, and obviously had lost his confidence. As long as we aren't depending on him, I am fine.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Somehow, I just don't see gabbert as QB ready to backup. He has had a couple rough yrs, and if he were our guy, I would be sick. Fortunately our late but very able signing made me feel a whole lot better. There I can see wins against non elites...and that's what you expect from your #1 backup. If it were gabbert we would be in the stew if kap went out for 3-4 weeks. As of now I am happy, but with the size of contract, that means that JH is going to be working on making gabbert a dependable Qb. Maybe, but if he does it in less than a year I will be amazed. FAce, it, blaine was HORRID prior to coming here, and obviously had lost his confidence. As long as we aren't depending on him, I am fine.

I think the pre-season will be key for him. We have great depth all across the offense, so he is in a very good position to string together some productive drives in exhibition games and build some confidence.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
DeUTH, I think is the guy, posted a ton of Blaine highlights and I agree with you - he wasn't very impressive and the people surrounding him were worse. Hard to figure if the chicken or the egg comes first. I.e. is blaine bad because he played with bad players or because he was bad and made the players around him bad?
What we want is a backup who can come in, run the plays, and lead us to wins against the non-elites. If kap is down long term we are out of it, so doesn't matter who qb is. But if kap goes down with high ankle or hammy, say 3-4 weeks, we need a guy who will get us those wins against non elites. I think josh can come in and do it. I don't think blaine can. LIke Giedi, I think kory is a really long shot . So if Josh can backstop for a month, get us the wins against non elites, I am a happy camper. Saddly, I just don't see blaine shaking off two yrs of crappy play in a TC and PS. I was heartsick until at the last moment, Josh got signed.

If we happened to lose kap and had to play NFC West for 4 straight games, then ouch. Pretty hard to ask a backup to win against elite teams. It can happen, but it would not be my expectation. To win it all, usually it is the great team who stays healthiest. Long term loss of kap would be disastrous. Hence, altho our best passing plays seem to be on broken plays when kap takes off, much as I love to see it, I hold my breath.
Share 49ersWebzone