LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Excellent work OP.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
When I say confidence, I mean his pocket instincts. His ability to stay in the pocket and trust the pocket. I mean if you look at Colin, in the very beginning, he'd take off if his first read isn't there. I also mean confidence in his decision making. A lot of beat up QB'S will see things not there, and not see things that are there. What you are taking about is more along the lines of competitiveness. What i want to see is Gabbert being decisive and correct in his reads and have a command of the offense that that makes first downs. I don't want him getting into a fist fight with a linebacker. I want to see him throw a touch pass over that linebacker instead.

All in good time, Giedi. When he does, Gabbert will be a boss. Prior to the 2011 draft, the NFL and Gatorade ran a series called "Everything To Prove" where they followed some of the top prospects around during their draft preparations and during the draft. There were some big time prospects there, Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson, J.J. Watt, Jake Locker, Chris Ponder, Stephen Paea, Cam Hayward, Kyle Rudolph, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, etc. etc. Gabbert was the youngest of them, but if you watch the clips, you can see he was clearly the leader.
[ Edited by ethan on Jun 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM ]
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
So far a lot of simmilarities with Alex. Yet it seems to me that Gabbert never had the improvement that Alex had in 06.

Gabbert needs to gain trust in the O line, and the receivers. It's much easier to take a hit if you know that the intended receiver will actually make a play.

David Carr was supposed to be good, yet after he was beat up in Houston, it was over.

Henne looked better because Henne is a improviser, Gabbert isn't, Alex wasn't until he was able to gain tust in himself and didn't overthink, suddenly he is able to make a shovel pass...

Gabbert had the same completion %, better TD/Int ratio, and better passer rating in his second season (2012) than Smith did in his (2006). Difference was that Blaine had the forearm nerve damage at mid season that knocked him out of the year. PLUS he played by far the tougher half of the Jags schedule that year. They faced a top four defense nearly every game. PLUS the team took half the season to adapt to new offensive system. PLUS he played nearly the entire year with a separated left shoulder. Torn labrum.

Ironically at that point (mid 2012) Gabbert was coming on in his career and Kaepernick was unknown quantity on the bench. Injuries and luck are everything in the game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
Originally posted by Giedi:
When I say confidence, I mean his pocket instincts. His ability to stay in the pocket and trust the pocket. I mean if you look at Colin, in the very beginning, he'd take off if his first read isn't there. I also mean confidence in his decision making. A lot of beat up QB'S will see things not there, and not see things that are there. What you are taking about is more along the lines of competitiveness. What i want to see is Gabbert being decisive and correct in his reads and have a command of the offense that that makes first downs. I don't want him getting into a fist fight with a linebacker. I want to see him throw a touch pass over that linebacker instead.

All in good time, Giedi. When he does, Gabbert will be a boss. Prior to the 2011 draft, the NFL and Gatorade ran a series called "Everything To Prove" where they followed some of the top prospects around during their draft preparations and during the draft. There were some big time prospects there, Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson, J.J. Watt, Jake Locker, Chris Ponder, Stephen Paea, Cam Hayward, Kyle Rudolph, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, etc. etc. Gabbert was the youngest of them, but if you watch the clips, you can see he was clearly the leader.
he was better than ck in the combine
he was better than anyone in the gatorade challenge (sounds like something howard cosell would have emceed in 1974)
yes by all means we need to crown his ass. of course he has no chance to play extended duty or to start on our team due to the quality we have in front of him but i am sure that is just a minor thing. sounds like gabbertexcuses to me
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Of course I'm happy to have Gabbert because I'm a huge Mizzou fan and have met Gabbert a few times, but overall I'm just much more comfortable with him as a backup to lead this team over Colt McCoy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
So far a lot of simmilarities with Alex. Yet it seems to me that Gabbert never had the improvement that Alex had in 06.

Gabbert needs to gain trust in the O line, and the receivers. It's much easier to take a hit if you know that the intended receiver will actually make a play.

David Carr was supposed to be good, yet after he was beat up in Houston, it was over.

Henne looked better because Henne is a improviser, Gabbert isn't, Alex wasn't until he was able to gain tust in himself and didn't overthink, suddenly he is able to make a shovel pass...

Gabbert had the same completion %, better TD/Int ratio, and better passer rating in his second season (2012) than Smith did in his (2006). Difference was that Blaine had the forearm nerve damage at mid season that knocked him out of the year. PLUS he played by far the tougher half of the Jags schedule that year. They faced a top four defense nearly every game. PLUS the team took half the season to adapt to new offensive system. PLUS he played nearly the entire year with a separated left shoulder. Torn labrum.

Ironically at that point (mid 2012) Gabbert was coming on in his career and Kaepernick was unknown quantity on the bench. Injuries and luck are everything in the game.

Wouldn't it be funny if Kory out plays Josh *and* Blaine? Very unlikely will that happen, but it would be exciting. I just want a backup QB that is hands down better than Tolzien, McCoy, or BJ Daniels. If we get that this year in Blaine I will be very happy. Blaine challenging Colin would be like Kory beating out Blaine and the others for the backup QB spot. I very doubt much that will happen.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
he was better than ck in the combine
he was better than anyone in the gatorade challenge (sounds like something howard cosell would have emceed in 1974)
yes by all means we need to crown his ass. of course he has no chance to play extended duty or to start on our team due to the quality we have in front of him but i am sure that is just a minor thing. sounds like gabbertexcuses to me

Well, obviously Kaepernick is the starter, but there are reasons that teams carry two or three quarterbacks. Mainly the possibility of injury to the starter. That is how Kap got his job. That is how Gabbert lost his in Jacksonville.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Kaepernick is the starter.

There are four quarterbacks fighting for one, maybe two, roster spots.

Blaine Gabbert has to be considered the front runner; ahead of Johnson, Bethel-Thompson, and Faulkner.

I do not think any of those four have any trade value.

Cannot wait for training camp and the battle for roster spots to begin in earnest.

[ Edited by buck on Jun 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:

Blaine Gabbert has to be considered the front runner; ahead of Johnson, Bethel-Thompson, and Faulkner.

Cannot wait for training camp and the battle for roster spots to begin in earnest.

Since we traded for Gab, I think he has a spot for a year
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by buck:

Since we traded for Gab, I think he has a spot for a year

I would agree with you on this.

I think the back-up quarterback job is his to lose.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM ]

Whenever I see this guys name I read Blame Gabbert.
Originally posted by fister30:
Whenever I see this guys name I read Blame Gabbert.

I hesitate to tell you what I think when I read your name
great stuff, jonnydel
Originally posted by jrg:
Of course I'm happy to have Gabbert because I'm a huge Mizzou fan and have met Gabbert a few times, but overall I'm just much more comfortable with him as a backup to lead this team over Colt McCoy.

That's really the important part. Did we get better when we signed him? I think yes.

Though, hopefully, we'll never find out :)
The Jags didn't look bad when Henne was under center. He made Blackmon look like an All-Pro.

I wasn't a fan of Gabbert coming out of college because he played in a spread where all he did was make pre-snap reads, pick a target, hike-and-throw. With press coverages, he can't do that. I think he's been playing catch up seeing the field and reading coverages after the snap. His accuracy and arm strength are fine. I think the problem he's been having falls between his ears. As he continues to progress with learning the offense and finding his hot rouse, he'll be fine.

Harbaugh is good for QBs because he has a QB-friendly offense and he speaks their language. There's no reason to believe Gabbert can't get better in SF. On the other hand, a guy like Hoyer or Henne could thrive under Harbaugh. I only mention them because they were possibilities this offseason.
Share 49ersWebzone