LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Thanks for all the hard work and time you put into this analysis. I believe that Gabbert will show signs in the pre season why he was highly regarded in the 2011 draft.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by NTeply49:
I get excited when ever I see a new thread by you. Thank you for your hard work and I'm sorry you had to watch the jags.

lol it must of been torture.

The Alabama Crimson Tide probably could of beat the Jags last year.

lol! that's funny because I lived in the northwest for 28 years and just moved to Alabama, only a little bit outside Tuscaloosa - home of the Tide too! I have to say - I know I'm digressing, but, the Alabama fans are serious fans! Their Tide/Auburn rivalry really does make ours with Seattle seem less intense. But, they do have one amazing football team/organization.
So does he have good hope?
Originally posted by Constantine:

That's tough to say. I think he does, but again, I can't be certain. He could be a very good backup for us, or he could be another Colt McCoy. That's what was hard when watching his film, he'd make some nice plays, on others he and the team would executing simple plays. It's hard to know for certain with some stuff to know what kind of offense they're using, who's most responsible for the line adjustments and receiver adjustments and what he's being asked to do. This is why scouts have such a hard time hitting home runs on guys all the time in the draft. There are so many variables that you don't know, you just make your best educated guess.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Gabbert's been through the wringer in his NFL career so far. That may be a good thing for him and for the 49ers. He was the youngest quarterback in the history of the league to start at least 10 games his first season. Has had 5 different head coaches, and 5 different position coaches (6 if you want to include George Whitfield) in less than three full seasons in the league (signed in August 2011 due to lockout). Surely an all time record. He has played most of time in the league dealing with at least one painful and restricting injury. He started most of 2012 season with the same injury that sidelined Jake Locker for most of the 2012 season. Locker had the reputation of being a tough guy, Gabbert has the reputation of being soft. Go figure. But they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The other way he stands out from the crowd is dealing with the media. Gabbert was better at that from the time he arrived than any quarterback in the league probably. It's an impressive thing to watch. He was the guy who was sent out every game in Jacksonville his first two seasons there. The veteran players hid behind him, the coaches hid behind him, and the general manager hid behind him.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Constantine:

That's tough to say. I think he does, but again, I can't be certain. He could be a very good backup for us, or he could be another Colt McCoy. That's what was hard when watching his film, he'd make some nice plays, on others he and the team would executing simple plays. It's hard to know for certain with some stuff to know what kind of offense they're using, who's most responsible for the line adjustments and receiver adjustments and what he's being asked to do. This is why scouts have such a hard time hitting home runs on guys all the time in the draft. There are so many variables that you don't know, you just make your best educated guess.
Well if anyone can revive him then Jim is the coach.
I cant think of any other coach out there that can, so if Gabbert has a hope then this the spot.
Originally posted by ethan:
Gabbert's been through the wringer in his NFL career so far. That may be a good thing for him and for the 49ers. He was the youngest quarterback in the history of the league to start at least 10 games his first season. Has had 5 different head coaches, and 5 different position coaches (6 if you want to include George Whitfield) in less than three full seasons in the league (signed in August 2011 due to lockout). Surely an all time record. He has played most of time in the league dealing with at least one painful and restricting injury. He started most of 2012 season with the same injury that sidelined Jake Locker for most of the 2012 season. Locker had the reputation of being a tough guy, Gabbert has the reputation of being soft. Go figure. But they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The other way he stands out from the crowd is dealing with the media. Gabbert was better at that from the time he arrived than any quarterback in the league probably. It's an impressive thing to watch. He was the guy who was sent out every game in Jacksonville his first two seasons there. The veteran players hid behind him, the coaches hid behind him, and the general manager hid behind him.

Lol who are you?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Well the first thing that goes in those situations is confidence, the second thing is mechanics. Jim can rebuild his mechanics, just like he did with Alex. But the confidence part is harder. To get confidence you need both knowledge of the system and a lot of reps. He'll have to put Gabbert in situations where he will succeed and have virtually zero chance to fail. I'm betting he's going to put Gabbert into a lot of short yardage situations, ie run the ball a lot in pre season to where the only time Gabbert passes is 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 1 kind of situations. I think if Gabbert confidence is totally shot, it's going to be a multi - year project to revive his career. If not, then he might be ready to go by midseason.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Lol who are you?

Einhorn is finkel
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Well the first thing that goes in those situations is confidence, the second thing is mechanics. Jim can rebuild his mechanics, just like he did with Alex. But the confidence part is harder. To get confidence you need both knowledge of the system and a lot of reps. He'll have to put Gabbert in situations where he will succeed and have virtually zero chance to fail. I'm betting he's going to put Gabbert into a lot of short yardage situations, ie run the ball a lot in pre season to where the only time Gabbert passes is 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 1 kind of situations. I think if Gabbert confidence is totally shot, it's going to be a multi - year project to revive his career. If not, then he might be ready to go by midseason.

I don't think Gabbert has a confidence problem. Unless it's overconfidence. Pretty sure Blaine knows exactly why things went the way they did in Jacksonville. He's strong minded. I remember one game in his rookie season where he was getting clobbered, and Jack Del Rio pulled him out near the end of the game. Del Rio was miced up that game, and said "I think we'll give Luke (McCown) a chance to play". Gabbert just stared daggers at him. Another game against Houston, the Texans were killing the Jags and Brian Cushing hit Gabbert late when he was sliding and damaged his ribs. Next series Gabbert rolled out to the sideline and ran out of bounds. Cushing (who was All Pro that year I think) came at him full throttle and tried to hit him out of bounds. Gabbert got in his face, "Whoa there mother....!". That got caught on tape by a sideline camera. Blaine was ready to go with Cushing, who is a roided up 260 pounder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDqlx5tgT5Q
[ Edited by ethan on Jun 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

I don't think Gabbert has a confidence problem. Unless it's overconfidence. Pretty sure Blaine knows exactly why things went the way they did in Jacksonville. He's strong minded. I remember one game in his rookie season where he was getting clobbered, and Jack Del Rio pulled him out near the end of the game. Del Rio was miced up that game, and said "I think we'll give Luke (McCown) a chance to play". Gabbert just stared daggers at him. Another game against Houston, the Texans were killing the Jags and Brian Cushing hit Gabbert late when he was sliding and damaged his ribs. Next series Gabbert rolled out to the sideline and ran out of bounds. Cushing (who was All Pro that year I think) came at him full throttle and tried to hit him out of bounds. Gabbert got in his face, "Whoa there mother....!". That got caught on tape by a sideline camera. Blaine was ready to go with Cushing, who is a roided up 260 pounder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDqlx5tgT5Q

When I say confidence, I mean his pocket instincts. His ability to stay in the pocket and trust the pocket. I mean if you look at Colin, in the very beginning, he'd take off if his first read isn't there. I also mean confidence in his decision making. A lot of beat up QB'S will see things not there, and not see things that are there. What you are taking about is more along the lines of competitiveness. What i want to see is Gabbert being decisive and correct in his reads and have a command of the offense that that makes first downs. I don't want him getting into a fist fight with a linebacker. I want to see him throw a touch pass over that linebacker instead.
Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by natrone06:
Lol who are you?

Einhorn is finkel

"finkel is einhorn, einhorn is a maann, oo my ggod", then he starts freaking out, dats $h!+ was h3ll@ funny(when I first seen it )(also if that's from "pet detective", I'm kinda assuming but I could be wrong).
  • Phil
  • Veteran
I'd like to see some Jags fans post in this thread. lol Thanks for the film breakdown though.
So far a lot of simmilarities with Alex. Yet it seems to me that Gabbert never had the improvement that Alex had in 06.

Gabbert needs to gain trust in the O line, and the receivers. It's much easier to take a hit if you know that the intended receiver will actually make a play.

David Carr was supposed to be good, yet after he was beat up in Houston, it was over.

Henne looked better because Henne is a improviser, Gabbert isn't, Alex wasn't until he was able to gain tust in himself and didn't overthink, suddenly he is able to make a shovel pass...
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
So far a lot of simmilarities with Alex. Yet it seems to me that Gabbert never had the improvement that Alex had in 06.

Gabbert needs to gain trust in the O line, and the receivers. It's much easier to take a hit if you know that the intended receiver will actually make a play.

David Carr was supposed to be good, yet after he was beat up in Houston, it was over.

Henne looked better because Henne is a improviser, Gabbert isn't, Alex wasn't until he was able to gain tust in himself and didn't overthink, suddenly he is able to make a shovel pass...

I am no Blaine Gabbert fan but he didn't have an offensive coordinator the caliber of Norv Turner in his career. I find it interesting that Alex is a great runner now which we all knew he was coming out of Utah. But I think Mike Nolan dialed all of that back and it took Jim Harbaugh to get him to run a little more. He finally didn't cut lose until this season in Kansas City where as you said, he gained trust in himself and didn't over think. Hopefully we can see similar growth from Gabbert.
Share 49ersWebzone