There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mismatches?

  • Chico
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,176
Bill Walsh was a genius on creating mismatches and opening up the field. If the defense had a weakness, he would find it & exploit it.
My question is why we never used VD on the outside more since he is bigger, stronger and faster than most of the DB's out there? We used him a little on the outside but he should be lined up a lot more against the smaller DBs.
Or...most offensive tackles are 6'5" 325 lbs these days. Why don't we line up a safety against him? I realize the OT these days are big strong and fast but there's no way they can cover a safety who is smaller and faster than him.

What do you think?
Cause VD can't run correct routes, and can't recognize the blitz
So you want to take out Aldon or Brooks and put in a safety to pass rush vs OT? I think I'm reading this wrong.
Originally posted by Chico:
Bill Walsh was a genius on creating mismatches and opening up the field. If the defense had a weakness, he would find it & exploit it.
My question is why we never used VD on the outside more since he is bigger, stronger and faster than most of the DB's out there? We used him a little on the outside but he should be lined up a lot more against the smaller DBs.
Or...most offensive tackles are 6'5" 325 lbs these days. Why don't we line up a safety against him? I realize the OT these days are big strong and fast but there's no way they can cover a safety who is smaller and faster than him.

What do you think?

innovative and out of the box thinking........................................................................................It sucks!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,838
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Cause VD can't run correct routes, and can't recognize the blitz

and he posted pics on facebook with jimmy graham
I think that since tackles can grab the jersey if it's between the shoulders, this wouldn't work at all. A tackle gets one hand on that jersey and it's over - the safety is out of the play, period.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,176
Originally posted by lamontb:
So you want to take out Aldon or Brooks and put in a safety to pass rush vs OT? I think I'm reading this wrong.


maybe not all the time but give Aldon a breather and let a little guy wear the Tackle down
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,445
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by lamontb:
So you want to take out Aldon or Brooks and put in a safety to pass rush vs OT? I think I'm reading this wrong.


maybe not all the time but give Aldon a breather and let a little guy wear the Tackle down

Why not just put Lemonier or Skuta in when Aldon and Brooks need a break.

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Cause VD can't run correct routes, and can't recognize the blitz

and he posted pics on facebook with jimmy graham

Triple whammy
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by lamontb:
So you want to take out Aldon or Brooks and put in a safety to pass rush vs OT? I think I'm reading this wrong.


maybe not all the time but give Aldon a breather and let a little guy wear the Tackle down

If I saw a defense do that...then it's an easy audible run to that side
  • DeUh
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,115
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by lamontb:
So you want to take out Aldon or Brooks and put in a safety to pass rush vs OT? I think I'm reading this wrong.


maybe not all the time but give Aldon a breather and let a little guy wear the Tackle down

If I saw a defense do that...then it's an easy audible run to that side

This.
Move everyone to safety.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,176
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Move everyone to safety.


ok fine, bad idea on the safety vs the OT...but, VD who is around 6'5", 250-lbs and runs a 4.3 vs a DB that is 5'9" 185 lbs...(I mean most of them are smaller)
He will out muscle him and punish him...take advantage against that mismatch...

I just think it's Roman playing so conservative
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Move everyone to safety.


ok fine, bad idea on the safety vs the OT...but, VD who is around 6'5", 250-lbs and runs a 4.3 vs a DB that is 5'9" 185 lbs...(I mean most of them are smaller)
He will out muscle him and punish him...take advantage against that mismatch...

I just think it's Roman playing so conservative
like i said earlier on paper it's a mismatch, but VD can't run routes
We do line up VD out wide on a number of plays. He presents mismatches whether he's inside or outside. He's too fast for linebackers and safeties and then he's a lot bigger than corners. He's a bigger mismatch inside though because he's a lot better at using his speed than he is his size.

As for safeties lining up at pass rusher. Umm I'm sorry it doesn't work that way. if pass rushing was simply about speed and being able to beat the tackles on the edge, you would just have a bunch of track athletes as premiere pass rushers. You need to have a great first step, size/strength, hand technique, and different pass rush moves to be a good pass rusher.