LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

Greg Roman loves him some Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
I'm really optimistic about Gabbert. Hopefully we can find a way to get some value for him if he plays well, but it looks like he'll probably just leave in FA.

I think Josh johnson and Kory are in the mix as possible backup (well at least Josh is). Kory might be a possible Tony romo and if he makes the team it will be at the practice squad part. I really want to see how Gabbert plays in this offense vs Josh johnson. If there is a QB battle - it would be between those two players.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeah, but if he doesn't improve and really learn the position from a great QB teacher like Harbaugh, he'll be out of the league in a year or two. Whereas if he gives himself time to develop - say another 3 years here as a backup - he could conceivably play till his mid to late 30 ' s just like steve deburg. that would make more economic sense in my opinion.

Gabbert was just in a lousy situation, and suffered some untimely injuries. Most of which can be attributed to lousy protection. This thing about coaches "making" quarterbacks once they reach the NFL is myth. Look at all the different teachers Tebow has had. He is worse now than when he arrived. Harbaugh makes good quarterbacks by building a strong support system around them and installing the proper offensive system to maximize their skill set. But he isn't a magician. At least as many quarterbacks he has coached are mediocre or irrelevant as the other way round. He has a good eye for talent at the position, and he obviously sees Gabbert as a talent. Tried to recruit him to Stanford before Luck. Gabbert missed his entire high school senior year, went to the Army All America Bowl in January and beat out Luck for the starting position. Even though Blaine hadn't played in months prior to that.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Jim harbaugh made Alex Smith.

He can do the same thing with Gabbert.

lol, people still think this? Alex just needed a competent coaching staff, he's been fine without JH. The niner fans were just too dumb to realize it.
[ Edited by binarythird on Jun 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM ]
Originally posted by binarythird:

lol, people still think this? Alex just needed a competent coaching staff, he's been fine without JH. The niner fans were just too dumb to realize it.

Originally posted by verb1der:

He definitely excelled in the Jimmy Raye offense.

I know you just hate Alex...but you're showing your football IQ.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
Gabbert was just in a lousy situation, and suffered some untimely injuries. Most of which can be attributed to lousy protection. This thing about coaches "making" quarterbacks once they reach the NFL is myth. Look at all the different teachers Tebow has had. He is worse now than when he arrived. Harbaugh makes good quarterbacks by building a strong support system around them and installing the proper offensive system to maximize their skill set. But he isn't a magician. At least as many quarterbacks he has coached are mediocre or irrelevant as the other way round. He has a good eye for talent at the position, and he obviously sees Gabbert as a talent. Tried to recruit him to Stanford before Luck. Gabbert missed his entire high school senior year, went to the Army All America Bowl in January and beat out Luck for the starting position. Even though Blaine hadn't played in months prior to that.

You can have the genes of usane bolt, but if you don't have a good coach that will train, motivate, teach and encourage you- you probably won't break the world record.

The point is yes, i agree with you to a certain extent - Harbaugh does surrounds his qb's with a qb friendly system. As you said his qb's have a strong o-line, good run games, and good wr's. However Kurt Warner did lousy on teams that didn't understand him as a player. So it's not like you can take any truly talented QB - plug him in to any coach and any system and he'll be great no matter what. That is not the case.

The QB position is almost all mental, and harbaugh does a good job in developing that side of his QB's game. I think he has a good eye for talent because he knows more about the position than most other human beings in the NFL. Take a gifted qb and have jimmy ray as his oc and you know what you'll get! take a guy like Bill walsh. He turned some really average qb's into decent serviceable ones. So coaching does matter, specially at the QB position.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Seriously though, look at Jim Harbaugh on 1 knee........just as if he was a player still.

respect.....

The thing harbaugh can do that I don't think most other HC's can do is step into the pocket and show how it is done. The guy still has a live arm, and he can demo any pass in this system to his qb's. I doubt if Andy reid could throw a 5 yard out, nowadays, with his lard butt in the way.
Mr. Gabbert is still getting over his "Shell Shock" from his Jac years....if he makes our team this year then next year will be his turn it around season.

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Seriously though, look at Jim Harbaugh on 1 knee........just as if he was a player still.

respect.....

The thing harbaugh can do that I don't think most other HC's can do is step into the pocket and show how it is done. The guy still has a live arm, and he can demo any pass in this system to his qb's. I doubt if Andy reid could throw a 5 yard out, nowadays, with his lard butt in the way.

This.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Smith had better passing numbers and nearly the same # of wins as Kaepernick last year. After taking over a last place team. Can't argue with that record.
Smith had better passing numbers and nearly the same # of wins as Kaepernick last year. After taking over a last place team. Can't argue with that record.

That won't prevent people from trying, and failing.

Too bad we can't play the raiders 2x a year
Share 49ersWebzone