There are 143 users in the forums

Greg Roman loves him some Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Niners-Liking-What-They-See-in-Gabbert-264585051.html

Gabbert was probably the best player they got out of the draft, if you consider the sixth round pick they traded for him. Although there are some possible 2015 considerations as well. Blaine is the same age as Tom Savage, who the Texans drafted in the fourth round. Faulkner the QB the 9ers signed turns 24 shortly as well. Kaleb Ramsey, who they drafted in the seventh round is actually older than Gabbert by a few months. So it isn't a huge stretch to consider him part of this draft.

Nolan Nawrocki who does the scouting reports and rankings for the NFL previously worked for Pro Football Weekly, and still uses the same numerical grades. In 2011 he rated Gabbert at 6.35, the top rated QB that year, and 9th overall on his list. This year, he gave Blake Bortles, the top rated QB, a 6.22 grade, 17th overall.
Gabbert would have been the #10 ranked player on this year's list, between Justin Gilbert and Aaron Donald. Gilbert went #8 and Donald #13 in the actual draft. Plus he has NFL starting experience under the toughest conditions imaginable. Worst case scenario stuff from the day he arrived in Jacksonville.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:

Nolan Nawrocki who does the scouting reports and rankings for the NFL previously worked for Pro Football Weekly, and still uses the same numerical grades. In 2011 he rated Gabbert at 6.35, the top rated QB that year, and 9th overall on his list.

Nolan Nawrocki was wrong, wasn't he?
Gabbert will be a great bench warmer
This will be one of the most compelling stories going forward. I can see it being incredible (Steve Young part deaux), or a disaster (has to fill in for an injured Kaep and he just can't get it done) ... or somewhere in between. For a 6th round pick it was certainly worth a chance. And if he can put his demons to rest and get healthy, he may turn out to be the steal of this draft season. Baalke and company keep things interesting, that is for sure.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Jury is still out. Kaepernick had yet to make his first NFL start when he was the age Gabbert is now. Same holds true for Rodgers, Palmer, Rivers, and a few other starting QBs in the league. Brady was third string in New England when he was 24. Drew Brees won 2 games at the age of 24, and the Chargers used the top pick in the following draft on Eli Manning. Alex Smith didn't make a single start the season he was 24.
[ Edited by ethan on Jun 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Jury is still out. Kaepernick had yet to make his first NFL start when he was the age Gabbert is now. Same holds true for Rodgers, Palmer, Rivers, and a few other starting QBs in the league. Brady was third string in New England when he was 24. Drew Brees won 2 games at the age of 24, and the Chargers used the top pick in the following draft on Eli Manning. Alex Smith didn't make a single start the season he was 24.

How long is the jury going to be out? It has been three years.

Gabbert, Nolan Nawrocki's top 2011 quarterback is a back-up quarterback. Kaepernick is a starter.

Nawrocki is a talking head. Harbaugh is a NFL head coach.

Nawrocki was wrong.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM ]
  • ethan
  • Veteran

Gabbert, Nolan Nawrocki's top 2011 quarterback is a back-up quarterback. Kaepernick is a starter.

Nawrocki was wrong.

Harbaugh is an NFL head coach who tried to recruit Gabbert to Stanford ahead of Andrew Luck. Harbaugh would have drafted Gabbert in 2011 except for a promise they made to Alex Smith not to use their first round pick at the position. Which is why Kaepernick is the starter. Harbaugh traded for Gabbert when there were a dozen or so former starters available as free agents. Harbaugh, at Gabbert's age, had thrown a grand total of 11 passes in the NFL. Steve Young was a bust in Tampa Bay at the same age. Joe Montana had 8 starts, and a 2-6 record prior to turning 25. Nawrocki is not a talking head. He writes the best draft evaluations available to the public but never appears in public. That isn't his thing.
Hey, Giedi, was that praise the kiss of death just prior to being traded?

Nawrocki was wrong.

Harbaugh is an NFL head coach who tried to recruit Gabbert to Stanford ahead of Andrew Luck. Harbaugh would have drafted Gabbert in 2011 except for a promise they made to Alex Smith not to use their first round pick at the position. Which is why Kaepernick is the starter. Harbaugh traded for Gabbert when there were a dozen or so former starters available as free agents. Harbaugh, at Gabbert's age, had thrown a grand total of 11 passes in the NFL. Steve Young was a bust in Tampa Bay at the same age. Joe Montana had 8 starts, and a 2-6 record prior to turning 25. Nawrocki is not a talking head. He writes the best draft evaluations available to the public but never appears in public. That isn't his thing.

I know that's what was reported, but I really doubt the premise that the 49ers let a promise to a non-franchise QB determine their 1st round draft strategy.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

Nawrocki was wrong.

I know that's what was reported, but I really doubt the premise that the 49ers let a promise to a non-franchise QB determine their 1st round draft strategy.

Regardless, they obviously thought he was worth a 6th round look this time. I am pulling for the guy, and if he could fulfill the promise he once had it would be quite a coup. And I personally think it would be good to have a QB that could push Kaep. Competition keeps you sharp, and humble.

• ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

If they thought Alex could be salvaged at the time it would make sense. Which is what Harbaugh was saying when he came in. Otherwise he's lame duck with a guy drafted #7 overall on the roster alongside him. It may have played a factor in his resigning as well. Makes sense to use the top pick elsewhere if they felt that Smith could be the QB. Also, since he had confidence issues, talking him up in public then taking a high first round QB in the draft, would have killed his motivation.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Regardless, they obviously thought he was worth a 6th round look this time. I am pulling for the guy, and if he could fulfill the promise he once had it would be quite a coup. And I personally think it would be good to have a QB that could push Kaep. Competition keeps you sharp, and humble.

I totally think the reason they brought in Gabbert rather than a cheaper, older, veteran guy as a backup was to push Kaepernick. It wasn't that long ago that Gabbert was much more highly regarded at the position, and he has always looked great in camp when he's healthy. He beat out David Garrard as as rookie in Jacksonville, even though Garrard was an established starter in his prime, coming off a winning season with a passer rating in the 90s. Completely froze Garrard in camp. Then the Jags brought in Chad Henne who was a three year starter in Miami prior to coming to Jacksonville, and Gabbert beat him out in camp. Then he was injured half way through the season and had to beat Henne in camp again the next year. Did it easily even though he missed much of the pre season with a broken thumb. Gabbert has never lost his starting job while he was healthy, and no team he played for has drafted a quarterback while he was on the roster.
It's way too early to make an accurate read on where this guy will end up. Comparison to Steve Young's career is one way to look at it.....

....reminds me more of David Carr's career though - thrown to the wolves too quickly on a bad team with many issues on Offense and it totally blew his confidence. Very few recover from that kind of start, but it could happen (Troy Aikman, Jim Plunkett, etc)
I totally think the reason they brought in Gabbert rather than a cheaper, older, veteran guy as a backup was to push Kaepernick. It wasn't that long ago that Gabbert was much more highly regarded at the position, and he has always looked great in camp when he's healthy. He beat out David Garrard as as rookie in Jacksonville, even though Garrard was an established starter in his prime, coming off a winning season with a passer rating in the 90s. Completely froze Garrard in camp. Then the Jags brought in Chad Henne who was a three year starter in Miami prior to coming to Jacksonville, and Gabbert beat him out in camp. Then he was injured half way through the season and had to beat Henne in camp again the next year. Did it easily even though he missed much of the pre season with a broken thumb. Gabbert has never lost his starting job while he was healthy, and no team he played for has drafted a quarterback while he was on the roster.

All these "accomplishments" Gabbert has since being drafted meanwhile Kap is 4-2 playoffs 3-1 on the road. Jim used a high second round pick on Kap moving up I might add and now a SIXTH on Gabbert. We are truly getting ahead of ourselves here if we believe Gabbert is going to knock off Kap.
Gabbert will benefit from his time here. I will give gabbert this, hands down he will be more productive than mccoy if he has to play for Kap. I had no confidence in Colt Mccoy. Gabbert has the ability to move an offense down the field. Maybe this means kap will have more freedom to run during the season?
Share 49ersWebzone