LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Who needs to be resigned first?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who needs to be resigned first?

Why is Mike Ipuati so low of an resign, is there something im not seeing... this is is a blind side blocker and he is good...
One player people are forgetting is Chris Culliver. Niners need to re-sign him ASAP. Before the season starts.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
It really comes down to who has 1 year remaining on their contract, and who has a low franchise tag. It also depends if Jimmy Graham wins his appeal to be franchised as a wr not a TE (I think he will lose.)

1 year remaining
1. Crabtree
2. Iupati
3. Harbaugh

I am pretty sure that Harbaugh is signed for this year and next year.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 9erred:
It really comes down to who has 1 year remaining on their contract, and who has a low franchise tag. It also depends if Jimmy Graham wins his appeal to be franchised as a wr not a TE (I think he will lose.)

1 year remaining
1. Crabtree
2. Iupati
3. Harbaugh

I am pretty sure that Harbaugh is signed for this year and next year.

He is not replaceable... and Hardbaugh shouldn't even be put on a list bc he is mandatory period
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
One player people are forgetting is Chris Culliver. Niners need to re-sign him ASAP. Before the season starts.

Meh.. lets see how the legal issues go, and his new knee. I think it is smart to not commit to him yet.
Crabs then Coach H
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
Crabs then Coach H

Would like to see this happen before or right after the season starts.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Why is Mike Ipuati so low of an resign, is there something im not seeing... this is is a blind side blocker and he is good...

you dont break the bank for guards or running backs. they are plug and play positions for the most part. last off season a guard from buffalo went to tennessee for something like 6yrs/48 million and thats where iupati would be around on the open market. his run blocking is great for the most part, but his pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired. the 49ers also dont traditionally pay guards a lot of money. they'd sign him right now for a price they like, but iuapti's side knows he can make near tackle money on the open market just based off of his reputation.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Meh.. lets see how the legal issues go, and his new knee. I think it is smart to not commit to him yet.

I think they should do it before the legal process has commenced in order to get a deal. If they wait 'til next year and Culliver has a great season, nobody's gonna care that he went all brass knuckles on some witness; he'll get a giant contract anyway, and he'll be on another team.

The Niners are so weak at CB they absolutely can't afford to lose Culliver IMO. I say lock him up now (contractually of course).
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
Crabs then Coach H

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

I think they should do it before the legal process has commenced in order to get a deal. If they wait 'til next year and Culliver has a great season, nobody's gonna care that he went all brass knuckles on some witness; he'll get a giant contract anyway, and he'll be on another team.

The Niners are so weak at CB they absolutely can't afford to lose Culliver IMO. I say lock him up now (contractually of course).

I think Culliver is too much of a risk at the moment. At least in my eyes, he hasn't really shown yet that he can be that reliable every down corner. We can wait.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
I'll go with Harbaugh.
Originally posted by Constantine:

Would you rather have a top 5 NFL guard, or the NFL's best pass rusher (Aldon Smith)?

Every player is "important" on a football team, but there is a salary cap, and therefore you have to find the best value.
Is a 10M guard who got his ass kicked half the time last year good value? Even if he was Larry Allen, and absolutely perfect, we still drafted his replacement in the 3rd round. We didn't draft Brandon Thomas to sit on the bench.
The writing is already on the wall.

Originally posted by buck:
Harbaugh is signed for two more years.
Aldon Smith is signed for two more years.
Boone is signed for two more years.
Davis is signed for two more years.

Each of the above can be signed after the coming season.

Crabtree is a free agent after this year.
Iupati is a free agent is a free agent after this year.

If we want to sign Crabtree and/or Iupati, it should be done before the end of the league year--this year.

I think the ship has already sailed on Crabtree and Iupati.

We have Johnson signed until 2017. Then we have Boldin for two more years, while Patton (2017) and Ellington (2018) get their feet wet.
Iupati's replacement is Brandon Thomas.

We have to worry about Aldon first. Sign him before his price becomes epic. If we don't sign him this season, it's going to be very tough to sign him.
I don't know, maybe we keep Crabs instead of Aldon, and then pray that our young guys can replace him. That would be really rough though. Aldon is the best pass rusher in the league. Hard to let that go.

I Also think Vernon is gone in two years. Seriously, how far should we extend him beyond the age of 32? He relies on his speed. Will his speed still be there at 34? 35? 36?

It's looking like it will come down to Crabs or Aldon. I LOVE Crabtree, but I would still go with Aldon. Aldon is a once-in-a-generation pass rusher.
Maybe if Tank and Lemonier set the world on fire, we could go with Crabs instead. Either way, it's a tough decision.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think the ship has already sailed on Crabtree and Iupati.

We have Johnson signed until 2017. Then we have Boldin for two more years, while Patton (2017) and Ellington (2018) get their feet wet.
Iupati's replacement is Brandon Thomas.

We have to worry about Aldon first. Sign him before his price becomes epic. If we don't sign him this season, it's going to be very tough to sign him.
I don't know, maybe we keep Crabs instead of Aldon, and then pray that our young guys can replace him. That would be really rough though. Aldon is the best pass rusher in the league. Hard to let that go.

I Also think Vernon is gone in two years. Seriously, how far should we extend him beyond the age of 32? He relies on his speed. Will his speed still be there at 34? 35? 36?

It's looking like it will come down to Crabs or Aldon. I LOVE Crabtree, but I would still go with Aldon. Aldon is a once-in-a-generation pass rusher.
Maybe if Tank and Lemonier set the world on fire, we could go with Crabs instead. Either way, it's a tough decision.

I agree, Aldon is too valuable. And we won't be drafting high enough to get another elite pass rusher any time soon... I think S. Johnson provides immediate insurance, then we need Patton and Ellington to step up on 2015 and beyond.

With Kaep signed, and Staley on a long-term te-friendly deal, our next priority is Aldon... And Harbaugh shouldn't be included as his salary doesn't count towards the cap. There's no way we don't pay him...
Share 49ersWebzone