There are 208 users in the forums

Which 49ers player are you still upset with for signing elsewhere?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by English:
Rickey Watters.

And the ex-Niner I missed most, although it was our own fault, was Ronnie Lott.

Watters loss cost the 49ers a sixth ring. If the 49ers kept him, Floyed wouldn't have blown out his knee and Young wouldn't have had to run so much (concussions).

His departure killed the 49ers.

Derek Lovelle

Yeah. That's why I am still upset. The rest of the 90's could have looked very different if Ricky hadn't put me first.

I agree... but in all, we still rocked the joint with what we had
Originally posted by captnkos:
I hated when Julian Peterson signed with the Seahawks. I understood why he left, but the Seahawks???!!! Watching him crush us twice a year was pretty awful.

I don't recall him being very effective after the ahilles injury. Not disagreeing, just that he didn't bother me. Plus, my hatred for Seattle has really blossomed in the last couple years.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Upset>

Not one.

Originally posted by captnkos:
I hated when Julian Peterson signed with the Seahawks. I understood why he left, but the Seahawks???!!! Watching him crush us twice a year was pretty awful.

The only thing that got to me was the way he would taunt the Niner fans when he made a play. What is it about these guys going to Seattle that turns them into a-holes? Michael Robinson was a complete stand-up clean player down here and he goes up to Seattle and turns into a cheap-shot artist who spears Kyle Williams after he's taken a knee and concusses him. It's just strange.
Ricky Watters and Deion Sanders
Originally posted by matt49er:

we weren't in any big hurry to find adequate replacements for them either ...didn't we bring in Rodney Hampton and Johnny Johnson to solve our RB woes? ....didn't make sense , we tried to replace a swift pass catching RB with great moves, who was well schooled in the WCO ....with two Big injury prone RB's from smashmouth offenses??? ...I never understood why we didn't try to replace Watters with a RB with a similar skill set?? ...it wasn't until we landed Hearst and Garner that we finally had a respectable ground attack
Originally posted by matt49er:

How does a team get back to the SB after losing it's Offensive and Defensive MVP's in the off season.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
How does a team get back to the SB after losing it's Offensive and Defensive MVP's in the off season.

I think the biggest loss in the off season after 1994, was shanahan to Denver. Trestman screwed up our offensive profile and we became too pass heavy.

I rank 1994 losses as

1- shanahan
2- Deion
3- Watters

Loville while not as good as Watters put up similar production 1400 total yards 13 tds vs Ricky's 1600 total and 11 tds. We had no real replacement for Deion and have been chasing an elite cb ever since. I hated what trestman turned the offense into, went from almost 50/50 balance to an almost run n shoot balance of 60% pass.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

I think the biggest loss in the off season after 1994, was shanahan to Denver. Trestman screwed up our offensive profile and we became too pass heavy.

I rank 1994 losses as

1- shanahan
2- Deion
3- Watters

Loville while not as good as Watters put up similar production 1400 total yards 13 tds vs Ricky's 1600 total and 11 tds. We had no real replacement for Deion and have been chasing an elite cb ever since. I hated what trestman turned the offense into, went from almost 50/50 balance to an almost run n shoot balance of 60% pass.

William Floyd was going to be a big part of our attack, if he had stayed healthy, our offense would have been different ...but Trestman still got decent production from our complimentary weapons ...Tommy Vardell and Ted Popson got into the end zone a few times with Trestman calling the plays
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Watters. could've easily repeated had the team fielded any semblance of a ground attack in '95.

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
William Floyd was going to be a big part of our attack, if he had stayed healthy, our offense would have been different ...but Trestman still got decent production from our complimentary weapons ...Tommy Vardell and Ted Popson got into the end zone a few times with Trestman calling the plays

While he got good production, there was no reason for throwing the ball 644 times to only 415 run attempts. When you count is sacks we ran 1092 plays, that means we ran the ball only 38% of the time. With the WCO we where running the production out if the run game was almost secondary to the threat of actually attempting the run. To but it in perspective, steve for the entire 1994 season threw the ball 462 times, in 1995 despite missing 5 full games threw it 447 times. I think that it is no coincidence that this is when steve started to have durability problems. Also Ricky's last year in 1994, the niners averaged 3.9 yards per carry. In 1995, the averaged did slip to 3.6, but IMO that doesn't justify the lack if running trestman choose to go with.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM ]
I'm not upset about any player leaving - they get limited time in the NFL and great teams usually lose good players to bad teams willing to overpay. Can't get mad at Deion Sanders - we knew the deal when we signed him. Can't get mad at Watters - we couldn't afford him because of our cap situation. I am more upset about losing Holmgren and Shanahan. If the front office had kept either of those coaches over Seifert, we would have likely won one or two more SBs in the 1990s.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:
I'm not upset about any player leaving - they get limited time in the NFL and great teams usually lose good players to bad teams willing to overpay. Can't get mad at Deion Sanders - we knew the deal when we signed him. Can't get mad at Watters - we couldn't afford him because of our cap situation. I am more upset about losing Holmgren and Shanahan. If the front office had kept either of those coaches over Seifert, we would have likely won one or two more SBs in the 1990s.

it was our own fault lott left, can not blame him for that. with the way ricky was a little b***h in philly who knows if he would have continued his high level of play here had he stayed. not mad at the coaches who wanted to leave,. their value was pretty high and they had to do what they had to do. and not one damn thing wrong with george in my opinion
Tim rattay
Have to agree with those saying Ricky Watters. That likely cost us a SB or two. Huge loss.

Ricky himself has said leaving the 49ers was his biggest regret. We'd have won more SBs and he'd be in the HOF. He was an electric player that wasted his prime on bad Eagles and Seahawks teams.
Share 49ersWebzone