LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 369 users in the forums

Which 49ers player are you still upset with for signing elsewhere?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:
That Garcia/TO ordeal was the dumbest move of the last decade or so. Should have been one or the other not both. Those moves basically sent this team to expansion team levels.

Niners should have never let Jeff Garcia go. He had another three good years in him... at least.
Originally posted by English:
Yeah. That's why I am still upset. The rest of the 90's could have looked very different if Ricky hadn't put me first.

Ricky didn't put himself first. The 49ers put him last. There is a huge difference there.

The whole "For who, for what" rant came later. That wasn't about Ricky and it wasn't about the Eagles. That was a statement directed right at the 49ers.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Haley. Anyone but the Cowboys.

that was not a free agent signing

Did he not sign something? Question doesn't ask if it was a free agent signing, Haley didn't have to stay.
Charles Haley and Ricky Watters - the two most destructive re-signings in the last 30 years. Haley had a lot to do with that Cowboys team being a huge problem and if Watters stays with the team, they have a much better chance of going to another SB.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mustangmele:
That Garcia/TO ordeal was the dumbest move of the last decade or so. Should have been one or the other not both. Those moves basically sent this team to expansion team levels.

Niners should have never let Jeff Garcia go. He had another three good years in him... at least.

and when he begged to come back after nolan took over we should have grabbed him instead of throwing young alex to the wolves.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Ricky Watters. We basically had no running game until Garrison Hearst. He's really the only player I can think of really caring about losing since I've been watching the 49ers. Stubblefield too kinda. I know he bombed in Washington, but he could've been great had he stayed lining up next to BY instead of going all Albert Haynesworth.

Edit: And yeah Jeff Garcia. Letting him go was a mistake. Dude still had several very good seasons left in him, but the Niners just wanted to clean house and basically start over from scratch.
[ Edited by Disp on Jun 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM ]
Since I blame the 49ers for letting Lott, Rathman, and Watters go - and this thread is what player are you upset with, I will have to say Dana Stubblefield. Stubby put up good numbers here and was in a perfect fit playing alongside BY. He gave that up to chase the money in Washington, and was never the same.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by Geeked:
Rickey Watters.

And the ex-Niner I missed most, although it was our own fault, was Ronnie Lott.

Watters loss cost the 49ers a sixth ring. If the 49ers kept him, Floyed wouldn't have blown out his knee and Young wouldn't have had to run so much (concussions).

His departure killed the 49ers.

Derek Lovelle

Yeah. That's why I am still upset. The rest of the 90's could have looked very different if Ricky hadn't put me first.

Agree ...Ricky could have stayed ...I know our offensive coaching staff was banking on "Bar None" to pick up the slack running the ball, but then he blew out his knee ....yeah Deion could have been a 49ers great, but headed to the hated cowboys "must be the money" ...I got sick every time I would hear that sickening song

The question would have been had we keep Ricky would trestman have used him enough. Granted loville was nothing to write home about, but under trestman we were trending towards almost a 60% pass ratio team, that was a huge jump from the '94 team that was like a 51/49 pass/rush ratio team. I guess we will never know.

I picked Deion because our 95-97 defense were fabulous even with the secondary being the issue, i would have loved to see them perform with him shutting down one side of the field. I even say this and I'm a huge offensive side of the ball guy.

Ricky had fantastic hands, 60% passing would have been fine, Ricky would have caught his share! Yeah, gotta be Ricky.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Ricky had fantastic hands, 60% passing would have been fine, Ricky would have caught his share! Yeah, gotta be Ricky.

That the thing though Derek loville caught 85 passes in 1995. We simply spreaded our selves out too much and it exposed steve because the OL started to show some age. Our offense up until 1995 was predicated on an almost 50/50 split, in most cases it was more run attempts than pass attempts.

Now Loved Ricky and in my mind he was a lot better than loville but for Ricky's final season in 1994 he had about 1600 total yards and 11 tds. Loville in 1995 had about 1400 total yards and 13 tds. I have always felt that trestman style had more effect on the run that than just losing Watters.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 17, 2014 at 10:54 AM ]
I hated when Julian Peterson signed with the Seahawks. I understood why he left, but the Seahawks???!!! Watching him crush us twice a year was pretty awful.

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Was never a Niner, but I was pissed when Reggie White went to Green Bay instead of SF.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
people like ricky did not want to be here so i was fine with it,, what i was NOT fine with is that the team had no plan for replacing him with anyone just as good or better so for years young became our best running back till we finally got terry kirby which was not much but better than what we had, amp lee(player not poster), loville, adam f**king num nuts walker with one f**king hand fumbling vs green bay,, never really righted that ship till garner and hearst arrived
Originally posted by Nuns:
Was never a Niner, but I was pissed when Reggie White went to Green Bay instead of SF.

Thank his religious wife and the ungodly SF Bay Area
the swiss army knife
Ronnie Lott
Just thinking about him playing for the Raiders makes me
Share 49ersWebzone