There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which 49ers player are you still upset with for signing elsewhere?

for me ...it's Eric Davis, when he signed with the Panthers, I was seriously ticked off , for starters, after he left, our secondary was picked on and was the weak link in our defense for a few seasons to come , sure we still had Merton Hanks, who was on the downside of his career, we had Marquez Pope, who was a hard hitting CB, but was poor in pass coverage ...we had Tim McDonald who was also on the downside of his career and had seen better days ....if Davis had stayed, our secondary could have been decent and held down the fort long enough for another deep playoff run....and our pass defense sure suffered

so yeah, I still hold a grudge against Eric ...even though I enjoy his commentary on the NFL Network

what about you guys?
Deion, not necessarily because it was him, just because he picked Dallas. It would have been nice to have him in the secondary for a few years. Based on our primary weakness being the secondary in 95-98, with prime we might be chasing #7-8 had we been able to keep him.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 17, 2014 at 8:10 AM ]
Rickey Watters.

And the ex-Niner I missed most, although it was our own fault, was Ronnie Lott.
Delanie Walker
Originally posted by English:
Rickey Watters.

Watters loss cost the 49ers a sixth ring. If the 49ers kept him, Floyed wouldn't have blown out his knee and Young wouldn't have had to run so much (concussions).

His departure killed the 49ers.

Derek Lovelle
Originally posted by Geeked:
Rickey Watters.

Watters loss cost the 49ers a sixth ring. If the 49ers kept him, Floyed wouldn't have blown out his knee and Young wouldn't have had to run so much (concussions).

Derek Lovelle

Yeah. That's why I am still upset. The rest of the 90's could have looked very different if Ricky hadn't put me first.
Rickey Watters.

Derek Lovelle

Yeah. That's why I am still upset. The rest of the 90's could have looked very different if Ricky hadn't put me first.

Agree ...Ricky could have stayed ...I know our offensive coaching staff was banking on "Bar None" to pick up the slack running the ball, but then he blew out his knee ....yeah Deion could have been a 49ers great, but headed to the hated cowboys "must be the money" ...I got sick every time I would hear that sickening song
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Rickey Watters.

Derek Lovelle

Agree ...Ricky could have stayed ...I know our offensive coaching staff was banking on "Bar None" to pick up the slack running the ball, but then he blew out his knee ....yeah Deion could have been a 49ers great, but headed to the hated cowboys "must be the money" ...I got sick every time I would hear that sickening song

The question would have been had we keep Ricky would trestman have used him enough. Granted loville was nothing to write home about, but under trestman we were trending towards almost a 60% pass ratio team, that was a huge jump from the '94 team that was like a 51/49 pass/rush ratio team. I guess we will never know.

I picked Deion because our 95-97 defense were fabulous even with the secondary being the issue, i would have loved to see them perform with him shutting down one side of the field. I even say this and I'm a huge offensive side of the ball guy.
Haley. Anyone but the Cowboys.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:02 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
none of them. if they did not want to be here the hell with them no matter how great they were for us or how much i liked them at the time. the people we did not bring back when we should have like garcia upset me more
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
none of them. if they did not want to be here the hell with them no matter how great they were for us or how much i liked them at the time. the people we did not bring back when we should have like garcia upset me more

actually i need to piggy back onto cciowa and I agree with english and ronnie lott. craig did not bother me because he could not do the job but there was no reason at all to release lott. it was not his fault for signing somewhere else but there was no reason for that to happen at all
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Haley. Anyone but the Cowboys.

that was not a free agent signing
Originally posted by cciowa:

That Garcia/TO ordeal was the dumbest move of the last decade or so. Should have been one or the other not both. Those moves basically sent this team to expansion team levels.
So many of them, Jerry Rice, was a massive lost....., but I think the fall of the dynasty also was when Ronnie Lott was not brought back, that resulted in Charles Haley exploding in the locker rooms several times (as from the stories that I remember reading), which was to a point that many players were affected. Lott could have helped us to win another superbowl as for the next 4 years, his numbers actually went up after leaving us. In retrospect, regarding the year that Watters left (1995), I believe Carmen Policy was on the downside of his career also, as the 9ers did not attempt to replace Watters by drafting another RB in that years draft (which showcased curtis martin and terrell davis to name a couple). Watters was a huge lost, but what made it worst for me was the 10-15 year period in which they failed to draft players that a team can be built on.
Originally posted by niteshade80:
So many of them, Jerry Rice, was a massive lost....., but I think the fall of the dynasty also was when Ronnie Lott was not brought back, that resulted in Charles Haley exploding in the locker rooms several times (as from the stories that I remember reading), which was to a point that many players were affected. Lott could have helped us to win another superbowl as for the next 4 years, his numbers actually went up after leaving us. In retrospect, regarding the year that Watters left (1995), I believe Carmen Policy was on the downside of his career also, as the 9ers did not attempt to replace Watters by drafting another RB in that years draft (which showcased curtis martin and terrell davis to name a couple). Watters was a huge lost, but what made it worst for me was the 10-15 year period in which they failed to draft players that a team can be built on.

McGrew - McQuarters - Druckenmiller - Stokes ....in that 5 year span, not one of those 1st round picks became a player to build the team around, Stokes was a serviceable WR at best, but we swung and missed on a lot of 1st rounders ...it wasn't until we drafted Julian Peterson and Ahmed Plummer that we started getting decent players in the 1st round and became competitive