There are 360 users in the forums

George Seifert ... Its about time

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Eddie had a knack of hiring good coaches. Walsh, Seifert and Mooch. No way in hell would he have hired Erickson and donahue. Eddie would have attracted some good coaches and GM ' S here had he been around instead of dr. York. But Jed has done a great job. He was able to get a new stadium whereas Eddie was only able to get it halfway there. He's off to a similar start like his uncle. His uncle got a superbowl appearance in around his 4th year of ownership, very similar - timewise - to Jed's super bowl appearance in 2012. Difference of course is eddie won his first super bowl and jed didn't.

Eddie knew how to spot a head coach. I know Erickson has a bad wrap with 49er fans but take a closer look at the 2003 season, if he was given a kicker the team makes the playoffs. The next year the team was gutted.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Eddie knew how to spot a head coach. I know Erickson has a bad wrap with 49er fans but take a closer look at the 2003 season, if he was given a kicker the team makes the playoffs. The next year the team was gutted.

Personally I didn't understand the mooch firing at the time and I hated the hiring of erickson and the move away from the WCO.

The '03 team scored more and gave up less than the '02 team. IMO the pivotal moments for that squad happened week 2 when Cedric Wilson failed to get down so we could have attempted a fg vs rams and blowing a 12 point lead vs Cleveland a week later. I always wonder what would have happened to the erickson era had we started 3-0. The '03 season was more disappointing than '04 because there was actual talent on that squad, '04 was basically an expansion team.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Owen Pochman!

Agreed though. That was an incredibly frustrating year with both Chandler and Pochman. I remember Todd Petersen stabilizing things a bit, but it was too late.

I think we lost in Seattle and Arizona due to missed extra points. Also, Cedric Wilson cost us a chance at beating St. Louis with a boneheaded play.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Snip

Wow, posted at the same time haha. Pretty much the same thoughts.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Wow, posted at the same time haha. Pretty much the same thoughts.

Great minds think alike.
I never understand why it takes so long for individual team Hall of Fame's to enshrine obvious legends. The NFL HOF can only let in a few at a time from a very large group, but shouldnt George Seifert and his 2 SB titles have been part of the first class?
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jun 23, 2014 at 3:39 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
I never understand why it takes so long for individual team Hall of Fame's to enshrine obvious legends. The NFL HOF can only let in a few at a time from a very large group, but shouldnt George Seifert and his 2 SB titles have been part of the first class?

George was perceived as taking over vs walsh who was the original architect. On top of that we already had some players in the NFL hall of fame that were not yet in the SF Hall of fame. That's my read on the situation.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Bill would not be in the hall of fame if not for George's defenses. Cheat Carroll would be coaching high school football if not for George.

All right, this goes a bit far. When Pete Carroll came in for that YEAR to coach the 49ers D, they were markedly better. When he left, they were worse. Rhodes was the other notable D coordinator. When he left, there was also a drop in defensive production.

I know a lot of people on this board look at Seifert with rose tinted glasses but don't make me point out all the coaching talent that left because he was a royal A-hole.

Seifert's current place in history is about right.

Last, and not to harp on the Pete Carroll issue. Carroll did take a Hacket destroyed program to the top. That's nothing to sneeze at. And if you really believe he cheated at SC, you may want to actually do a bit more reading and look at what's happening with the NCAA. Bush's FAMILY "cheated" by taking money for him to LEAVE COLLEGE!!!! That doesn't make SC or Carroll a cheater, unless providing incentive for your players to leave early form your program is considered a competitive advantage.
[ Edited by Geeked on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:28 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Bill would not be in the hall of fame if not for George's defenses. Cheat Carroll would be coaching high school football if not for George.

All right, this goes a bit far. When Pete Carroll came in for that YEAR to coach the 49ers D, they were markedly better. When he left, they were worse. Rhodes was the other notable D coordinator. When he left, there was also a drop in defensive production.

I know a lot of people on this board look at Seifert with rose tinted glasses but don't make me point out all the coaching talent that left because he was a royal A-hole.

Seifert's current place in history is about right.

Last, and not to harp on the Pete Carroll issue. Carroll did take a Hacket destroyed program to the top. That's nothing to sneeze at. And if you really believe he cheated at SC, you may want to actually do a bit more reading and look at what's happening with the NCAA. Bush's FAMILY "cheated" by taking money for him to LEAVE COLLEGE!!!! That doesn't make SC or Carroll a cheater, unless providing incentive for your players to leave early form your program is considered a competitive advantage.

Heh if cheat Carroll was so innocent, why abandon a sinking program and flee to the NFL? Seifert is a good defensive coach. So is cheat. But I think more offensive coaches go to the NFL hall of fame than defensive coaches. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm off base.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Heh if cheat Carroll was so innocent, why abandon a sinking program and flee to the NFL? Seifert is a good defensive coach. So is cheat. But I think more offensive coaches go to the NFL hall of fame than defensive coaches. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm off base.

Heh, gee, I guess you have no room to complain about Hawk fans. You know, because you place very little effort into understanding the subjects you provide comment and find it galling when the offended component of the audience points out the author's ignorance.

To answer your question, why wouldn't he bolt for the NFL?

More money, your athletic director has the political acumen of twelve year old, and one of your best players; the guy you placed as the face of your program, was double dealing behind your back.

Gee, I don't know? I'm sure there are a lot of other plausible reasons outside of PAYING YOUR PLAYER TO LEAVE SCHOOL EARLY. You know, the one failed component to everyone's irrational assumption that he somehow cheated.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Heh, gee, I guess you have no room to complain about Hawk fans. You know, because you place very little effort into understanding the subjects you provide comment and find it galling when the offended component of the audience points out the author's ignorance.

More money, your athletic director has the political acumen of twelve year old, and one of your best players; the guy you placed as the face of your program, was double dealing behind your back.

Gee, I don't know? I'm sure there are a lot of other plausible reasons outside of PAYING YOUR PLAYER TO LEAVE SCHOOL EARLY. You know, the one failed component to everyone's irrational assumption that he somehow cheated.

I don't get that bunch of hogwash. USC was breaking the rules. If it was not, *even after Cheat Carroll* left, it should have been proven innocent. USC was cheating under - as far as I understand it - the Head Coach, who is responsible for the entire program. The reason he jumped ship was because he's a greedy coward. If he was innocent and so concerned about his good name, he'd fight the charges and clear his name. But he doesn't care about his reputation, only money, and as far as I know, USC still hasn't really recovered from the Cheat Carroll violations. He hasn't changed his colors in the NFL either, look at all the PED violations as recently as the last two years in Seadderall Land. He intentionally runs a loose ship so that he can say he didn't know what was going on, when in reality he does know, but doesn't want to have any facts to link him to the actual violations.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

I don't get that bunch of hogwash. USC was breaking the rules. If it was not, *even after Cheat Carroll* left, it should have been proven innocent. USC was cheating under - as far as I understand it - the Head Coach, who is responsible for the entire program. The reason he jumped ship was because he's a greedy coward. If he was innocent and so concerned about his good name, he'd fight the charges and clear his name. But he doesn't care about his reputation, only money, and as far as I know, USC still hasn't really recovered from the Cheat Carroll violations. He hasn't changed his colors in the NFL either, look at all the PED violations as recently as the last two years in Seadderall Land. He intentionally runs a loose ship so that he can say he didn't know what was going on, when in reality he does know, but doesn't want to have any facts to link him to the actual violations.

That sure is a lot of well formatted writing; addressing each point presented in the argument. The belief system logic employed to articulate your point is quite profound.

But, I have to ask, if USC really did know, and Pete Carroll was comfortable with agents ripping his players from university early, why would the NCAA be pulling out all the stops to have their emails remain sealed? Why would the Judge that originally ordered them unsealed also comment on the degree of malice and presented in the investigation, identified in the EMAILS?

I'm just curious, you know, because everyone that actually has seen the case, has commented on it being a complete witch hunt.

BUT, I have to approach the situation from your perceptive acumen:
  1. Belief trumps inspection
  2. Pete Carroll coaches for teams I don't like
  3. Careful analysis would refute my position - I'm never wrong approach towards life
  4. I don't like being contradicted when casting wreak-less defamation of people, places or things in an effort to devalue achievement or status.
[ Edited by Geeked on Jun 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
That sure is a lot of well formatted writing; addressing each point presented in the argument. The belief system logic employed to articulate your point is quite profound.

But, I have to ask, if USC really did know, and Pete Carroll was comfortable with agents ripping his players from university early, why would the NCAA be pulling out all the stops to have their emails remain sealed? Why would the Judge that originally ordered them unsealed also comment on the degree of malice and presented in the investigation, identified in the EMAILS?

I'm just curious, you know, because everyone that actually has seen the case, has commented on it being a complete witch hunt.

BUT, I have to approach the situation from your perceptive acumen:
  1. Belief trumps inspection
  2. Pete Carroll coaches for teams I don't like
  3. Careful analysis would refute my position - I'm never wrong approach towards life
  4. I don't like being contradicted when casting wreak-less defamation of people, places or things in an effort to devalue achievement or status.

Why ask me all that gobbledygook. Don't be lazy. Do your own research and answer your own question. Fact: USC was sanctioned. Cheat left when he could have stayed. Cheat's team has a record PED violations under his watch. His team has one of the highest penalty flags regarding defensive play in the NFL. Those are not opinions. Those are facts. If there is any bull crap here it would be seadderall fans believing all the bull sh!t cheat Carroll has shoved down the seadderall fans throats.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Why ask me all that gobbledygook. Don't be lazy. Do your own research and answer your own question. Fact: USC was sanctioned. Cheat left when he could have stayed. Cheat's team has a record PED violations under his watch. His team has one of the highest penalty flags regarding defensive play in the NFL. Those are not opinions. Those are facts. If there is any bull crap here it would be seadderall fans believing all the bull sh!t cheat Carroll has shoved down the seadderall fans throats.

Hmmm, are you telling me you're rooting your argument in the judgments of the NCAA. The same organization that employed Missy Conboy and Paul Dee to oversee the investigation?

Are you protesting the advisement to do a little research before you cast derisive judgments?

FYI, I went to USC and I wasn't the Smartest or Richest guy in the room. I actually had to work my ass off to get in and STAY IN. I was the guy that spent hours in the library RESEARCHING my positions before memorializing them in papers for committee REVIEW.

I'm well qualified in the position that EVERY PARTY has a RESPONSIBILITY to the audience to do a little investigative work before communicating the findings.

You sir, are basically formalizing your hatred of a Coach and a University through baseless claims rooted in half truths. Your whole premise is a fabricated and wouldn't make it past the Junior High debate team with a couple of hours of research preparation.

The minute you say (I don't have to research my position) is the minute you lose all credibility... Your position, your judgement, is the very same qualifying logic that has the NCAA staring down a multi-million dollar lawsuits from Todd McNair, the State of Pennsylvania, and O'bannon.

So, not only do I believe you're completely flawed in thought, apparently, there are several court proceedings that are founded in the same observation.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Hmmm, are you telling me you're rooting your argument in the judgments of the NCAA. The same organization that employed Missy Conboy and Paul Dee to oversee the investigation?

Are you protesting the advisement to do a little research before you cast derisive judgments?

FYI, I went to USC and I wasn't the Smartest or Richest guy in the room. I actually had to work my ass off to get in and STAY IN. I was the guy that spent hours in the library RESEARCHING my positions before memorializing them in papers for committee REVIEW.

I'm well qualified in the position that EVERY PARTY has a RESPONSIBILITY to the audience to do a little investigative work before communicating the findings.

You sir, are basically formalizing your hatred of a Coach and a University through baseless claims rooted in half truths. Your whole premise is a fabricated and wouldn't make it past the Junior High debate team with a couple of hours of research preparation.

The minute you say (I don't have to research my position) is the minute you lose all credibility... Your position, your judgement, is the very same qualifying logic that has the NCAA staring down a multi-million dollar lawsuits from Todd McNair, the State of Pennsylvania, and O'bannon.

So, not only do I believe you're completely flawed in thought, apparently, there are several court proceedings that are founded in the same observation.

Yawn. Where is the *denial* of the facts I presented? All that gobbledygook you posted is irrelevant and opinionated. If that's all you got, see you later bud. Good luck in presenting opinions as fact here in the webzone. Opinions are like armpits- everybody has 'Em and they all stink.
Share 49ersWebzone