There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

George Seifert ... Its about time

Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
He finished his tenure in San Francisco with the most wins in franchise history (Hopefully Harbaugh surpasses that )

I think George is under-appreciated in the grand scheme of things. He himself has said in several interviews that he felt he was never forgiven for the 1990 title game.

What I also remember is how badly he beat us with Steve Beurlein in Carolina for a few years.

If memory serves me it was early 2000 at the stick and they had like a 38-3 led on us. I think rick mirer either started the game for us or played a bulk of it. Games was litterly over early in the second quarter.
Congrats Coach Seifert. IMHO, he was the second best coach the 9'ers have had (verdict still out on Harbaugh, who may surpass George when all is said and done).
Originally posted by Niners816:
If memory serves me it was early 2000 at the stick and they had like a 38-3 led on us. I think rick mirer either started the game for us or played a bulk of it. Games was litterly over early in the second quarter.

That was the one. I still have the image of Muhsin Muhammad shredding the 49ers secondary burned into my mind. Those years (1999 and 2000) were tough to watch because there was still talent left from the end of the dynasty years.
[ Edited by LayTheWoodall on Jun 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
That was the one. I still have the image of Muhsin Muhammad shredding the 49ers secondary burned into my mind. Those years (1999 and 2000) were tough to watch because there was still talent left from the end of the dynasty years.

1999-2000 always cemented in my mind how valuable steve young was. 12-4 in '98, 2-1 with steve in '99 and 2-11 with out steve. I was way too young for '79-'80, but to this day 1999 is my least favorite season. Steve gets hurt, all the streaks end and the f**king rams win the title. Even the 2-14 '04 season wasn't as bad because the roster was expansion team bad.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 17, 2014 at 1:19 PM ]
two thousand and late for sure
George Seifert inherited a great 49er's team and without this inheritance, I don't think he would have done as well.

Give credit to Bill Walsh who actually put the initial team together and made them super.

All Seifert had to do was try and keep it together, and when he left for another team?
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Jun 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
George Seifert inherited a great 49er's team and without this inheritance, I don't think he would have done as well.

Give credit to Bill Walsh who actually put the initial team together and made them super.

All Seifert had to do was try and keep it together, and when he left for another team?

Besides head coaching, he built a strong super bowl caliber defensive unit and should be recognized as a great D-coordinator at the least.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 17, 2014 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
George Seifert inherited a great 49er's team and without this inheritance, I don't think he would have done as well.

Give credit to Bill Walsh who actually put the initial team together and made them super.

All Seifert had to do was try and keep it together, and when he left for another team?

yes he did but he also continued the greatness,
dont you think so?
During seiferts speech he recalled a young winning harbaugh. It was a tight game, our kicker missed the game winning kick. All the Colts players went to sideline except for 1. (Harbaugh) Running towards niners sideline arms extended out like a plane doing a fly by, buzzing past the team. Seifert says Jim's competitive fire has translated to his coaching. And is very impressed in turn around of franchise.
[ Edited by frankie on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:26 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Originally posted by frankie:
During seiferts speech he recalled a young winning harbaugh. It was a tight game, our kicker missed the game winning kick. All the Colts players went to sideline except for 1. (Harbaugh) Running towards niners sideline arms extended out like a plane doing a fly by, buzzing past the team. Seifert says Jim's competitive fire has translated to his coaching. And is very impressed in turn around of franchise.

I hope george and fangio had a chance to talk defense and x's and o's - George's superbowl defenses are 5-0 in superbowls. Defense wins championships.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Besides head coaching, he built a strong super bowl caliber defensive unit and should be recognized as a great D-coordinator at the least.

He built or had a part in building 5 super bowl defenses.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Originally posted by Niners816:
1999-2000 always cemented in my mind how valuable steve young was. 12-4 in '98, 2-1 with steve in '99 and 2-11 with out steve. I was way too young for '79-'80, but to this day 1999 is my least favorite season. Steve gets hurt, all the streaks end and the f**king rams win the title. Even the 2-14 '04 season wasn't as bad because the roster was expansion team bad.

I remember 1999 to 2003 as the year of the Rams Trolls. They invaded both 49er sites and generally made a bad situation worse. That's one of the reasons I still hate the Rams more than seadderall.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I remember 1999 to 2003 as the year of the Rams Trolls. They invaded both 49er sites and generally made a bad situation worse. That's one of the reasons I still hate the Rams more than seadderall.

I'm right there with you, rams will always be the bigger rival. I was more of a regular poster on the old espn niners board back in '99-2000 and everyday was an endless troll show by guys with "oldschoolram" in their name. It's funny, just replace "oldschoolram" with "12thman" and it almost the same thing we got going on today
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 18, 2014 at 7:10 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
I hope george and fangio had a chance to talk defense and x's and o's - George's superbowl defenses are 5-0 in superbowls. Defense wins championships.

This would be excellent, tho viva defense is a different style. But both very strongly effective!
  • Arson
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 93
George brought a toughness and professionalism to the 49ers, we won a ring with out bill, or joe, but we never won one with out george.