There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

George Seifert ... Its about time

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_25973739/george-seifert-selected-49ers-hall-fame

Can I say anymore
I was getting ready to start a thread when I heard the news of his niner HOF selection. For any younger fans, seifert's record was the following with the niners:

1989 14-2
1990 14-2
1991 10-6
1992 14-2
1993 10-6
1994 13-3
1995 11-5
1996 12-4

I am so happy he is finally getting inducted in the niners hall. I sometimes feel like George doesn't quite getting that credit he deserves for driving this team thru the early to mid 90s. He never really got any credit for winning with bill's guys and was hammered for all the conference title game losses especially the 1990 title game. Now in my mind walsh is the greatest coach ever, but seifert should get a lot more credit than he seems to get.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:14 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Bill would not be in the hall of fame if not for George's defenses. Cheat Carroll would be coaching high school football if not for George.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Bill would not be in the hall of fame if not for George's defenses. Cheat Carroll would be coaching high school football if not for George.

So true, I believe when he left us his winning % was something crazy like .760 or something. Even with the s**t years in Carolina his % is in the mid .600.
bout time
Originally posted by Niners816:
I was getting ready to start a thread when I heard the news of his niner HOF selection. For any younger fans, seifert's record was the following with the niners:

1989 14-2
1990 14-2
1991 10-6
1992 14-2
1993 10-6
1994 13-3
1995 11-5
1996 12-4

I am so happy he is finally getting inducted in the niners hall. I sometimes feel like George doesn't quite getting that credit he deserves for driving this team thru the early to mid 90s. He never really got any credit for winning with bill's guys and was hammered for all the conference title game losses especially the 1990 title game. Now in my mind walsh is the greatest coach ever, but seifert should get a lot more credit than he seems to get.

Those records the Niners put up each year he coached the team...just amazing and was part of the Niners NFL record 16 consecutive 10+ win seasons, I believe. I forgot he had three 14-2 seasons. It was incredible watching the team those years...the excellence, the consistency. Nothing against Mariucci, but I always wished Seifert would have coached the team a lot longer than he did. Who remembers Seifert's body language on the sidelines when plays were happening?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,070
f**k Siefert, wasn't he responsible for playing Young ahead of Montana?
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Those records the Niners put up each year he coached the team...just amazing and was part of the Niners NFL record 16 consecutive 10+ win seasons, I believe. I forgot he had three 14-2 seasons. It was incredible watching the team those years...the excellence, the consistency. Nothing against Mariucci, but I always wished Seifert would have coached the team a lot longer than he did. Who remembers Seifert's body language on the sidelines when plays were happening?

Haha, I remember.
He would be standing there, stone-faced. A play happens, his leg would kick out suddenly, sometimes a little hop. It was funny.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,603
Originally posted by mayo49:
f**k Siefert, wasn't he responsible for playing Young ahead of Montana?

its like the vietnam war. walsh( ike and jfk) started it all and then it really escalated under george. But in the end,,, I love coach S for all he did for us and for continuing the tradition into the 90's.
Originally posted by mayo49:
f**k Siefert, wasn't he responsible for playing Young ahead of Montana?

He benched Young for Grbono
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by mayo49:
f**k Siefert, wasn't he responsible for playing Young ahead of Montana?

He benched Young for Grbono

Sort of off topic, but you have to love the way young responded to that benching vs Philly. Over the 14 games (11 regular games and 3 playoff) being pulled, the niners went 13-1. Young's stats were 70% comp, 3200 yards, 35 td, 3 int and a qb rating of 124. I would put those up against any 14 game span in nfl history. Really the only thing I found close was joe's entire 1989 seasons including the playoffs.
This is deserved. As we have witnessed the last three seasons, Super Bowl wins are not an easy feat. He kept a championship team on top and in the running each year.
He took over Walsh's machine and didn't mess up. Thanks for that George.

He sucked when he went to Carolina from what I recall.

Man I love Bill Walsh.
The thing people seem to overlook about every single championship Niner team is that they all had tremendous defense - every one of them. And Seifert is the coach responsible for that. When he took over as HC, he suffered from a problem so many defensive HC's experience - when his teams were successful, he lost his offensive coordinators. He lost Holmgren after '89 and Shanahan after '94. And since his vision wasn't offense-based, he had problems keeping a cohesive offense. But Seifert totally deserves this - he's one of the best Niner coaches in the history of the franchise and he was an innovator.
He finished his tenure in San Francisco with the most wins in franchise history (Hopefully Harbaugh surpasses that )

I think George is under-appreciated in the grand scheme of things. He himself has said in several interviews that he felt he was never forgiven for the 1990 title game.

What I also remember is how badly he beat us with Steve Beurlein in Carolina for a few years.