LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Offseason Coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
yeah I'm aware of all that. My question was short and extremely vague so my bad. What I mean is by Willis moving over to Bow's spot, who does that favor in the battle to take Bow's spot while he's hurt? Wilholte or Boralnd (I know technically Moody & Skov are in the mix but I don't think they are truly in contention). As a 2nd question of sorts, if the 49ers determine that the best ILB outside of Willis is better suited to play the Mike, do you think they would consider keeping Willis at the Ted? My instinct says no, the team would want Willis at the Mike while Bowman is out but who knows.

From JD's explanation, both borland and Wilhoite look and feel like Ted 'backers, and by saying that, I mean that they have to take on the guard and free up the Mike LB to pursue. I don't think anyone outside of Bowman has Willis' speed. Bowman may never get his speed back. So it makes sense to keep Willis as the pursuit linebacker. Skuta was originally an inside 'backer and so in another scenario - Skuta might become the Ted if Wilhoite and Borland don't do as well as I think they will.

I really think the Nickel will be played a lot this year, if you go by what happened last year. If our DB'S work out right and develop into good run support corners, we'll need more of a Boreland/Skov linebacker than a Bowman speed LB - simply because good run support corners will force runners into the linebacker pursuit. This will be like the old George Seifert defenses. And if so, I really look forward to Moody and Ward contributing a ton in the Nickel this year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I see both of them as very good guards. Iupati can tend to keep his feet too close together causing him to be moved off balance every so often. But, overall he's solid and he's very athletic for his size - they list him at 320 or so but he plays more like a 340 with the speed of 300 or so. Boone is a great run blocker but doesn't always move his feet well - especially in pass pro. If he moves his feet more he can truly become an elite guard.

Here you see how Boone moved his shoulders in his pass pro but didn't move his feet. Notice how all the other lineman have kept their hips mostly square to the pocket so that a defender would have to go through them to get to the QB. Boone didn't shuffle his feet - he simply locked on and tried to use his strength to corral his guy, but, gives up an outside shoulder rush. This causes quick pressure on Kap which ends the play with an incompletion. You can see how Kap hasn't hit his backfoot yet and Boone's giving up pressure.

The O-line is hard to analyze because they all shine on 9/10 plays. But, their 1/10 is usually never at the same time as everyone else's 1/10 so it seems like 5/10 they're really effective - because all 5 guys have to be on, on the same play.
Great insight JD. I agree with what you said above. I'll just add that Goodwin also got pushed back relative to the LOS. If Goodwin was able to control the DT and keep the DT close to the LOS, Colin can easily step up in the pocket and have avoided Boone's guy. I think this is illustrative of how far Goodwin's play deteriorated in the playoffs.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Can you watch some film on Gabbert and let us know if he panics under pressure or was he just on a bad team?
Originally posted by GORO:
Can you watch some film on Gabbert and let us know if he panics under pressure or was he just on a bad team?

I'd like to see this too
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
Originally posted by GORO:

I'd like to see this too

working on it
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Yes, a thread about real Football ! Love it !

And great explanations so far. Agree 100 percent.
I re-watched the NFC championship game last night and 3 things continually stuck out:Anthony Davis has slow feet and continually got beat by speed rushes and inside moves, Carlos Rogers got TORCHED play after play and our play calling was HORRID.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I re-watched the NFC championship game last night and 3 things continually stuck out:Anthony Davis has slow feet and continually got beat by speed rushes and inside moves, Carlos Rogers got TORCHED play after play and our play calling was HORRID.

Ugh, Carlos Rogers. He should've stayed on the sidelines for that game. He was not ready.
Share 49ersWebzone