LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Why the 49ers offensive will experience an evolution this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think another reason we are likely to see some different pass oriented offense, is the fact that the team likely implemented a lot of read option stuff during last years camps. We got the healthy dose of "thats not gonna work against seattle" and finished up with "were pretty much done with the read option in the NFL" I think this year we will see more some new stuff as well as seeing a lot of last years non-RO stuff being more effective.
True, we will have the pieces for it. Big question remains, will roman still call plays ( or will JH), and regardless of who calls plays will they utilize the entire O roster of starters...ie, assuming the plays are called, will kap favor WR#1 and occasionall #2 all the time when passing?

so with all the talent, it doesn't mean jack if :
a) the plays aren't called (good plays, and that doesn't mean 60% of 1st downs are runs up the gut) and
b) will kap break his favoritism frenzy of throwing to his two favorite guys. (ok, crabs and anquan). I would be ecstatic if during the Dallas game, 8 different guys on our team receive passes. That would show that good plays are being called, the ball is being spread around, and kap is not honing in on just 1 of 2 guys.

There's more to this than just plain raw talent...which we seem to have in abundance. But the plays have to be called, and an offensive philosophy has to develop, whether it be something simple like using the pass to set up the run, or something of like ilk.
  • thl408
I agree with NinerBuff that we won't be seeing Kap running like he did in the playoffs. Last season's playoffs were an anomaly with regards to how many designed QB runs there were. No holds barred, since it was win or go home. His legs will still be a weapon, but those playoffs should not be a sign of things to come. Once the 2015 playoffs roll around again, lengthen the leash again.

There will be offensive improvement in the form of more proven WR weapons such as a healthy Crabs, prime aged Stevie Johnson, a sophomore Vance, and a natural upswing in Kap's development. I predict that at mid-season, many will say "Finally, Roman got his head out of his ass". In reality, it will just be improved play due to the factors mentioned. The offense simply wasn't sufficient from a proven talent standpoint last season. Kap was learning the ropes and the only proven WR was Boldin for the first 12 weeks.

When the team started 1-2, Jim got back to basics with the Oline and Gore. When the basics worked, he rolled with it and we see end of the year 13-14 stats where the 49ers attempted so few passes. Jim was walking a fine line between QB development and winning games because the fan base expected wins with the team. I saw this conservative play calling in the red zone. The passing offense seemed to get simplified when it approached the red zone. One read passing plays were called up mainly in the red zone to make it easier for their young QB. It made mistakes go down, but when the plays didn't work, Dawson got too much playing time.

I don't really care whether there is a change in offensive philosophy. I appreciate ground and pound just as much as 300 yard passing games. As long as the chains get moved - run it, pass it, 2TEs, 3WRs, whatever works. I'm looking for more efficiency, less 3&outs, and a higher TD conversion rate in the red zone. All signs point to these happening with the weapons brought in, so I'm also optimistic. The pressure is on Jim and Roman to mesh this all together.
We will run the ball 60 times and throw it 4 times against the Cowboys week 1
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
True, we will have the pieces for it. Big question remains, will roman still call plays ( or will JH), and regardless of who calls plays will they utilize the entire O roster of starters...ie, assuming the plays are called, will kap favor WR#1 and occasionall #2 all the time when passing?

so with all the talent, it doesn't mean jack if :
a) the plays aren't called (good plays, and that doesn't mean 60% of 1st downs are runs up the gut) and
b) will kap break his favoritism frenzy of throwing to his two favorite guys. (ok, crabs and anquan). I would be ecstatic if during the Dallas game, 8 different guys on our team receive passes. That would show that good plays are being called, the ball is being spread around, and kap is not honing in on just 1 of 2 guys.

There's more to this than just plain raw talent...which we seem to have in abundance. But the plays have to be called, and an offensive philosophy has to develop, whether it be something simple like using the pass to set up the run, or something of like ilk.

obviously. I think the 2 go in conjunction with one another, you can't call an opened up offense if you don't have the pieces & I think this is the first time we've truly had the pieces.
Originally posted by thl408:
I agree with NinerBuff that we won't be seeing Kap running like he did in the playoffs. Last season's playoffs were an anomaly with regards to how many designed QB runs there were. No holds barred, since it was win or go home. His legs will still be a weapon, but those playoffs should not be a sign of things to come. Once the 2015 playoffs roll around again, lengthen the leash again.

There will be offensive improvement in the form of more proven WR weapons such as a healthy Crabs, prime aged Stevie Johnson, a sophomore Vance, and a natural upswing in Kap's development. I predict that at mid-season, many will say "Finally, Roman got his head out of his ass". In reality, it will just be improved play due to the factors mentioned. The offense simply wasn't sufficient from a proven talent standpoint last season. Kap was learning the ropes and the only proven WR was Boldin for the first 12 weeks.

When the team started 1-2, Jim got back to basics with the Oline and Gore. When the basics worked, he rolled with it and we see end of the year 13-14 stats where the 49ers attempted so few passes. Jim was walking a fine line between QB development and winning games because the fan base expected wins with the team. I saw this conservative play calling in the red zone. The passing offense seemed to get simplified when it approached the red zone. One read passing plays were called up mainly in the red zone to make it easier for their young QB. It made mistakes go down, but when the plays didn't work, Dawson got too much playing time.

I don't really care whether there is a change in offensive philosophy. I appreciate ground and pound just as much as 300 yard passing games. As long as the chains get moved - run it, pass it, 2TEs, 3WRs, whatever works. I'm looking for more efficiency, less 3&outs, and a higher TD conversion rate in the red zone. All signs point to these happening with the weapons brought in, so I'm also optimistic. The pressure is on Jim and Roman to mesh this all together.

I think I should clarify as I didn't communicate what I meant about Kaep running well in the OP. I don't think it will be exactly like the playoffs, games won't be designed around Kaep's running, but I do see less restraint on it.
  • thl408
Originally posted by matt49er:
I think I should clarify as I didn't communicate what I meant about Kaep running well in the OP. I don't think it will be exactly like the playoffs, games won't be designed around Kaep's running, but I do see less restraint on it.

By less restraint, do you mean he will be given the green light to scramble when he feels the need to in the regular season? I hear you about not designing game plans around his legs, like the nfccg.

I'd like to see him try and work it out from the pocket if possible. Simply for pocket development purposes. Any scramble must be a nice gain of yardage. Meaning it was the right thing to do on that particular play. Sure is fun watching him take off running though.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by matt49er:

By less restraint, do you mean he will be given the green light to scramble when he feels the need to in the regular season? I hear you about not designing game plans around his legs, like the nfccg.

I'd like to see him try and work it out from the pocket if possible. Simply for pocket development purposes. Any scramble must be a nice gain of yardage. Meaning it was the right thing to do on that particular play. Sure is fun watching him take off running though.

Yes, what I mean is basically that it looked like they were encouraging him not to run & I think his game overall as a runner and as a passer will be opened up or trusted more. I think they let Kaep be Kaep and that means him having the green light to make plays with his legs when he deems necessary. I don't think we'll see a ton of designed runs, maybe a couple per game to keep teams on their heels. I agree he needs to develop from the pocket as all QBs need to flourish their to be truly elite. I do believe that more teams, not just the 49ers should have more designed roll outs, Kaep is awesome throwing on the run & we should capitalize on that more IMO.
Fantastic post all-around
Originally posted by swayze:
We will run the ball 60 times and throw it 4 times against the Cowboys week 1

We will destroy them no matter what we do

We win going away.... 45-17

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
We will destroy them no matter what we do

We win going away.... 45-17

You couldn't be more wrong, and it's making me question your fanhood. Every one of those 60 runs and 4 passes will be for a touchdown. The final score...447-0, 49ers. It should be 448 but Phil Dawson gets leg cramps after kicking that many PATs and shanks the last one.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Fantastic post all-around

Thank you good sir
GREAT POST!

THE OFFENSE BETTER IMPROVE. The Niners have the best offense in the harbaugh era. They have one of the best rosters from top to bottom. To me it seems like Roman doesn't use all of the tools. Why not use Ted Ginn more? Why not use LaMichael James and our backs other than our fullbacks as receivers? Have linebackers too fast now to shut down the back as a receiving threat? I don't think so. It bothers the crap outta me that they don't do that more. Carlos Hyde is known as a good pass catcher. USE HIM ROMAN.

They will probably overuse Frank Gore. Come on Hyde, Lattimore, James and Hunter, and step it up. Hyde is going to be a great addition. Bye, Bye AD with your dancing around the hole. I can't wait to see Lattimore, hopefully he can recover and be 90 percent of the player he was. I think James days are numbered.

Colin Kaepernick will take his game to the next level. He hopefully will hit his stride early and build up chemistry with his other receivers: Patton, Johnson, Lloyd need to step it up. The dark horse is Ellington. To imagine that he has played two sports for the last three years and Spurrier thought he was their MVP player. The go to guy who did everything for south Carolina. Let him concentrate on one sport. Lloyd is a nice addition. Lots of upside potential, not as much head case as Randy Moss a low risk move. Stevie Johnson was a score at the draft. I think it's been mentioned but if crabs leaves I would feel comfortable with this group. I would really like to see McDonald step it up. He has the size to be a great safety value like Witten is for Romo. He's gotta work on the Juggs machine and become a better pass catcher. Maybe he had too much going on in his head as a rookie.

Going to see the 49ers play in Dallas on opening weekend....OH YEAH!
Seriously hope you are right..

Share 49ersWebzone