LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Why the 49ers offensive will experience an evolution this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
^^^^thats a nice little route combo, because it looks like the TE is taking a corner route. So if they jammed the rub, kaep might of had a nice window to the TE. It would have been a big boy throw, but we know kaeps got the arm.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM ]
Just to sidetrack this a little, I absolutely love reading both of Johnnydel's and thl's analysis. I thought I knew a lot about football before but you two have really opened it up for me.

I knew the coverages and alignments for defense as well as formations, route combinations and run tactics for offense. But this type of analysis has really opened my eyes to individual player technique in relation to the whole deal, as well as an even better understanding of situational football. Thanks for the fantastic work you two!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by LVJay:
"the 49ers offensive will experience an evolution this season" because Roman will get abducted and aliens will plant an offensive guru's playbook inside his brain... since Harbaugh lets Roman call whatever he desires (good or bad), 49ers will thrive on offense this season (FINALLY).

That's not true

The 49ers offense will experience an evolution this season because lord Voldomort, who is angry at Seahawk fans for being "a bunch of cocky bandwagon vagina fans" (his words not mine), will serve to punish them off by putting a curse on the Seahawks and every other defense the 49ers will face, allowing the 49ers to dominate every game on offense and ultimately winning the Super Bowl, which will piss them off greatly.

Okay, I can get with that, but damn it, that Voldo better not let us down!

Originally posted by cciowa:
that is a nice theory but i am afraid with the way he is wired, he may reject any common sense that they would try to inject into his brain. the part about JH being an enabler is a troubling aspect to our adventures with roman

There you go throwing salt in my fantasies, again
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thl, when I said quick hitters, I was thinking about NE and their slot (now in Denver), and how his patterns should be open all game against a box 8/9 or even 10. I wasn't talking about dinks and dunks as in 4 yarders. More like 6-7 yds, to get over the LBs who are essentially camped out on LOS...eg, SEA. Had we had a slot receiver, we would have gotten SEA out of the box 8/9 because, we would have killed them with quick hitting 6-7 yd passes. If it took 2 more yds to get over the LBs, then so be it. But SEA played darn near the entire game with virtually 10 guys either on or at the LOS. Just little dinks over the LBs head was the distance I had in mind. It was open all game.

Now had we done that, in time SEA would have moved off the LOS and we would have seen a more conventional 4/3 or 3/4. Then we turn frank loose. Point is we didn't have that pass last yr, and I mean I can't remember ONE of those thrown. Whatever, it was disgraceful not to have had that in our playbook. This yr we have the talent for it and if roman still doesn't use it...then fire him.

Brady sees 8-10 man fronts? And, Welker is one of the best and shiftiest route runners in the league. There's a reason why he seems to always be open. There's only 1 Welker.

When I hear "quick hitters" I think of 1 step and 3 step drops. An offense cannot and should not do that against 8 man fronts. When the 49ers see 8 man fronts (they don't always do), they are also getting press alignment on their WRs. CBs press to throw off the timing of routes. From what you are suggesting, Kap, facing 8 man front, takes a 3 step drop (quick hitter) and has to wait just a tad longer for the route to develop as the WR has to beat the press. By that time the defensive linemen see the three step drop, stop their pass rush, and get their hands up. This is what all defensive linemen are taught to do. When a QB takes a 1 or 3 step drop, get those hands up to knock the pass down.

I agree with jonnydel that adding another 2 yards to the route depth isn't going to do anything. When LBs read pass (post snap), they don't just stand there and continue to crowd the line of scrimmage, they get depth on their drops to play passing lanes (zone) or man up to their coverage assignment.

If we are talking specifically about beating SEA, then short range passing can work, but I feel it's better to be thrown after the LBs hit their zone landmarks in cover3 (not quick hitters). Kap drops back (5 step or 7 step), gets good pass protection, then because there are only 4 underneath zone defenders to cover 6 underneath zones, find the soft spot. The longer the play can be prolonged, the more open WRs become against underneath zone coverage as the LBs sag further away from the line of scrimmage, spreading themselves thin. SEA knows this and have drafted some of the fastest LBs in the league to cover more ground in pass coverage.

I feel that short passes from quick hitters (1 step, 3 step) are a no no versus 8 man fronts and will not force defenses to stop going 8 in the box. To get them to stop going 8 in the box, make them pay by beating them intermediate or deep, somehow. To execute short range passing, get good pass pro on 5/7 step drops, then allow the underneath zone defenders to get stressed by having to cover so much grass area for such an extended period of time. Allow the WRs to find the soft spots.

jonnydel, in the example you showed above, it looks like Staley is going for the chop block as Kap looks for that block to open up a passing lane. What ended up happening on that play?
yeah, I pulled it from an old photo I had. They lined up with 3 wide and had 2 receivers plus a TE on that side. The ran a rub route to free Crabs on the play. It was the best endzone photo that I had that I hadn't already marked up a lot and I felt lazy and didn't want to go pull another screen shot...... callin me out man! lol.

Here's the rest of that play.

I agree with you though, the best way to beat Seattle is to give Kap more time in the pocket. Seattle's secondary is only rated so well because they have a ferocious pass rush. Give them the pass rush of the Jaguars and then see how good they are.....

These are interesting observations. Can you guys go back to some of those 1 quarter + 2 quarter run plays against Seattle for us that went absolutely nowhere? It didn't seem like they were playing an "8 man box." It was more like they were all across the line once a key was read. SO, it seemed more of an 8 man blitz. I think that's where the concept of a quick hitter was coming from. There did'nt seem like there was any pass-aware behavior by the D at all. Just a whole bunch of guys meeting Frank 3 yards back. In that context playing a 5 or 7 step drop doesn't seem like a great idea because the overplaying rush will just smother the q before anything can develop downfield. That's what it seemed like, anyway.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for GORO.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I agree with several of your points - however, I do disagree in that I don't see us going to many 3-4 receiver sets. That's just not our style, doesn't fit our run game or the skill sets of our receivers.

Because we are a run first team, most defenses are going to be playing some combination of single safety/single high safety defense against us. Contrary to what many people will often talk about, this is not where your burners are most effective, burners are most effective against 2 high safety coverage, because it forces a safety to vacate a deep half or quarter zone, opening up the middle/post areas of the field while also having the possibility of hitting the deep strike if the safety is out of position.

Here's some examples:

Here you'll see the Jaguars have come out in a cover 3 zone, press coverage. The press is really only from position, not necessarily meaning they will physically press the receivers. Our receivers do get free releases on this play. The yellow highlights the optimal routes to be a deep 3rd coverage technique because the corner will be looking to stay upfield of the receiver to not let the receiver behind him. This is the proverbial "island" so often talked about. That the corner has a tough job because the receiver has so many ways to go that the corners job is much more difficult. The red is the route Williams runs.

The corner gets into the hip pocket and uses his length to keep in position against the receiver(look familiar?)

Kaep is forced to make a back shoulder throw and the ball is incomplete.

Here we see the same defense again. This time Boldin is lined up against the same corner.

you see how Boldin determines how the corner is going to play him by running slightly towards the sideline on his routes to begin with which causes the corner to turn his hips slightly out.

Then, because Boldin turned the corners hips out, he's able to take advantage of the player who's hips are now out of position to take an inside route and create seperation.

You see how much separation is created in a short route because of the good route running against a cover 3. If this were cover 2 man or zone - which is created when we go 3-4 receiver sets, the receiver doesn't have the advantage of the corner having to play deep responsibility. The corner can squat underneath and keep his hips square to the receiver to not allow in/out/curl cutting routes.

Because all of our receivers are primarily route runners and runners after the catch, we look to get them in open spaces against their defenders. I think as badly as many of us want to see our offense explode into the Broncos offense or the niners of old, I don't think it'll happen. What I do see, is the additions adding a lot of depth and diversity so that defenses have to gameplan more for different players and, with an effective, steady dose of quick, good route running playmakers, we can force more teams into a cover 2 and open up the box for our run game and for VD deep. I think if we go multiple receiver sets - we'll actually work against our strengths.

Now, against Seattle, I see us imploring more 3-4 receiver sets because they're Nickel corner is a downgrade over a LB for them plus, Chancellor is not good in deep space because he's pretty tight in the hips.

I agree that the 49ers are just preparing for Seattle and the use of 3-4 receivers will only be used against a few teams, but Jim Harbaugh power run 49ers are what we thought they are. I find it odd that the coaches or players are hinting about schemes when Under Harbaugh they have treated this information like classified material.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Beating Seattle is all that matters! Stop Lynch from gaining 100 yards. No turnovers by 49ers Offence and getting turnovers is how Harbaugh will beat the Seahawks in Questfield.

Stevie Johnson trade was exciting to most of us but they may just put him on Sherman so Crabtree and Boldin will put on a clinic on the poor dbs having to cover them.
Thl, and JonnyDel, thanks for your insights, basically having to do with SEA. Not said but apparent to all was that for a great run blocking OL, our pass pro against elites was horrid...esp, right up the middle, over Goodwin, or aside Goodwin. Plus Iupati was hurt who knows how long. I appreciate your correcting my quick hitters, in that with the photos you showed they really weren't there. Also, the pics showed what a really good route running WR can do...namely #81, and how he gets the defender's hips moved around. And you are correct, (I forgot) that welker didn't do squat against SEA, the best defense in the league. The problem with Colin's 5-7 step drop is that SEA has a passrush that doesn't allow for 5-7 step drop usually and the ball needs to be gone before then. Maybe the game plan ought to be kap out of the pocket (Last yr, ie rollout) or with better pass pro, maybe the 5-7 step drops can be blocked for this yr. Whatever, looking at the photos you two have posted over last 3 months, SEA D looks truly impressive...unless a DB or LB gets his hips turned, eg, by Boldin. Brodie's point, that it seemed SEA had an 8 man rush at times is what I saw also, altho with so many guys at or 1 step off the LOS it was a little hard to tell who was coming and who wasn't.

Running 3 WRs or 4, may be the answer, but intermediate passes and long passes sure didn't look like the answer last yr. The obvious ploy is to get SEA off the LOS and get them into a 3/4 or 4/3 and then let frank loose. Unquestionably, we never did that last yr, and our playbook (in SEA) needs to be deep sixed. With 3 WRs, then 4 and maybe even 5, it will be interesting to see where we get a step up on SEA D. Except for boldin's crisp routes, we didn't seem to do much damage. To date our best plays against them were busted plays with kap on the run...maybe that is the best game plan. I hope kap doesn't have to do that all season, but against SEA, well, maybe necessary. Also, making the WR coach beat the crisp routes into the WRs heads is a must.

Thanks to both you guys for the tutorial...I have learned more from you all in 3 months than just watching as a fan for over 40 yrs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Just to sidetrack this a little, I absolutely love reading both of Johnnydel's and thl's analysis. I thought I knew a lot about football before but you two have really opened it up for me.

I knew the coverages and alignments for defense as well as formations, route combinations and run tactics for offense. But this type of analysis has really opened my eyes to individual player technique in relation to the whole deal, as well as an even better understanding of situational football. Thanks for the fantastic work you two!

I agree with your statement. Both THL and JohnnyD have schooled me on football concepts!! Thanks to both of them!! These guys and a lot of others who are just as knowledgable here is why I love this board.

Just some observations that a few others have already made. If we are going to pass more, specially against the likes of Seadderall, our pass protection *specially in the redzone* must improve. And that isn't an easy thing to achieve -- because teams like Seadderall will be sending blitzes, dogs, stunts, scrapes, and slanting their D-line to screw up our run and pass blocking. It helps to have more talent - ie the two Martins, but coaching has to come into play here too. Solari has to step up and coach his redzone o-line pass and run blocking better.
Some interesting discussions and film analysis in this thread. I also think generally speaking, we will remain true to our WCO/Schembechler power run based offense. However, I do think Harbaugh and Baalke want to diversify what our offense can do across the board to keep defenses guessing. The quality and depth of our WR corps has traditionally been the speed governor in the Harbaalke era. But it certainly hasn't been for lack of trying.

In 2011, Baalke brought in Braylon Edwards to augment a developing Crabtree and Morgan. Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn rounded things out. Morgan was lost on IR, Edwards wrecked his knee, and Crabtree, Williams and Ginn were left to pick up the slack. We lost the NFC CG that season for other reasons, but our WR effectiveness was very poor and hurt Alex's ability to threaten the Giants defense.

In 2012, Baalke brought in Moss and Manningham to augment Crabtree, Ginn and Williams. This was actually the closest we had to a diversified WR corps and it's no surprise we were very dangerous after CK7 was installed as the starter midseason. However, a really poor run by our defense in the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs ultimately cost us #6.

Last year (2013), Baalke stole Boldin and drafted Patton and McDonald with the intention of augmenting Crabtree, Manningham and Williams. Losing Crabtree for 11 games, along with the injuries and ineffectiveness of Manningham and Williams really hurt our passing game diversity and effectiveness. Harbaugh had to go back to basics (run-heavy reliance) and CK7's effectiveness was stunted for much of the season. When Crabtree returned, he was not fully himself and it contributed to the loss in Seattle (defense letting critical mistakes happen also reared its ugly head again).

Hopefully 2014 will be 2012, except with a different result in the Super Bowl.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
These are interesting observations. Can you guys go back to some of those 1 quarter + 2 quarter run plays against Seattle for us that went absolutely nowhere? It didn't seem like they were playing an "8 man box." It was more like they were all across the line once a key was read. SO, it seemed more of an 8 man blitz. I think that's where the concept of a quick hitter was coming from. There did'nt seem like there was any pass-aware behavior by the D at all. Just a whole bunch of guys meeting Frank 3 yards back. In that context playing a 5 or 7 step drop doesn't seem like a great idea because the overplaying rush will just smother the q before anything can develop downfield. That's what it seemed like, anyway.

I think THL or JohnnyD, did some previous redzone breakdowns where Goodwin was pushed back and basically blocked air. I'm suspecting red Bryant and the Seadderall D took advantage of Iupati's injury and the diminished play of Goodwin to stuff those runs and rush our passer.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Adusoron:
Some interesting discussions and film analysis in this thread. I also think generally speaking, we will remain true to our WCO/Schembechler power run based offense. However, I do think Harbaugh and Baalke want to diversify what our offense can do across the board to keep defenses guessing. The quality and depth of our WR corps has traditionally been the speed governor in the Harbaalke era. But it certainly hasn't been for lack of trying.

In 2011, Baalke brought in Braylon Edwards to augment a developing Crabtree and Morgan. Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn rounded things out. Morgan was lost on IR, Edwards wrecked his knee, and Crabtree, Williams and Ginn were left to pick up the slack. We lost the NFC CG that season for other reasons, but our WR effectiveness was very poor and hurt Alex's ability to threaten the Giants defense.

In 2012, Baalke brought in Moss and Manningham to augment Crabtree, Ginn and Williams. This was actually the closest we had to a diversified WR corps and it's no surprise we were very dangerous after CK7 was installed as the starter midseason. However, a really poor run by our defense in the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs ultimately cost us #6.

Last year (2013), Baalke stole Boldin and drafted Patton and McDonald with the intention of augmenting Crabtree, Manningham and Williams. Losing Crabtree for 11 games, along with the injuries and ineffectiveness of Manningham and Williams really hurt our passing game diversity and effectiveness. Harbaugh had to go back to basics (run-heavy reliance) and CK7's effectiveness was stunted for much of the season. When Crabtree returned, he was not fully himself and it contributed to the loss in Seattle (defense letting critical mistakes happen also reared its ugly head again).

Hopefully 2014 will be 2012, except with a different result in the Super Bowl.

I agree with these observations. Another factor is the QB change between Alex and Colin. In 2011 and 2012 - they were drafting for an Alex Smith type of short passing offense. Hence LMJ and AJ Jenkins. In 2013 and 2014 they had to shift gears and draft for a QB with a much stronger arm and greater long range accuracy. Hence Patton and Ellington and hyde and lattimore.

A power running team like us and the Steelers of old (Franco Harris and rocky blier) are more effective when the offense has a strong center like a mike webster. Once Terry had that strong run game to run the play pass, he could unleash that rocket arm of his. Mike webster made the steeler off tackle runs more effective because the inside traps to rocky blier were so effective, thanks to mike webster. I just hope we have the Steeler WR speed in Swann and stallworth (Patton and Ellington). Hope Hyde and Lattimore are the 49ers version of Blier and Harris.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thl, and JonnyDel, thanks for your insights, basically having to do with SEA. Not said but apparent to all was that for a great run blocking OL, our pass pro against elites was horrid...esp, right up the middle, over Goodwin, or aside Goodwin. Plus Iupati was hurt who knows how long. I appreciate your correcting my quick hitters, in that with the photos you showed they really weren't there. Also, the pics showed what a really good route running WR can do...namely #81, and how he gets the defender's hips moved around. And you are correct, (I forgot) that welker didn't do squat against SEA, the best defense in the league. The problem with Colin's 5-7 step drop is that SEA has a passrush that doesn't allow for 5-7 step drop usually and the ball needs to be gone before then. Maybe the game plan ought to be kap out of the pocket (Last yr, ie rollout) or with better pass pro, maybe the 5-7 step drops can be blocked for this yr. Whatever, looking at the photos you two have posted over last 3 months, SEA D looks truly impressive...unless a DB or LB gets his hips turned, eg, by Boldin. Brodie's point, that it seemed SEA had an 8 man rush at times is what I saw also, altho with so many guys at or 1 step off the LOS it was a little hard to tell who was coming and who wasn't.

Running 3 WRs or 4, may be the answer, but intermediate passes and long passes sure didn't look like the answer last yr. The obvious ploy is to get SEA off the LOS and get them into a 3/4 or 4/3 and then let frank loose. Unquestionably, we never did that last yr, and our playbook (in SEA) needs to be deep sixed. With 3 WRs, then 4 and maybe even 5, it will be interesting to see where we get a step up on SEA D. Except for boldin's crisp routes, we didn't seem to do much damage. To date our best plays against them were busted plays with kap on the run...maybe that is the best game plan. I hope kap doesn't have to do that all season, but against SEA, well, maybe necessary. Also, making the WR coach beat the crisp routes into the WRs heads is a must.

Thanks to both you guys for the tutorial...I have learned more from you all in 3 months than just watching as a fan for over 40 yrs.
Well thank you, I think our biggest way to slow down the Seattle rush is with an effective run game between the G and T. Seattle's ends like to explode upfield by attacking the Tackles outside shoulder with speed rushes. This makes it much harder to move Kap out of the pocket because, if you don't execute it perfectly, you're gonna get Kap's head taken off.

Here, notice how wide Seattle sets it's edge. This is a 4-3 "under" defense which Pete Carrol used a lot at USC, where the strong side LB will come up on the LOS outside the TE and the weakside DE slides outside the T. This creates a 5 man front while still keeping your pass coverage LB's on the field. It's supposed to give the wide edge run stopping abilities of the 3-4 while maintaining the interior run stopping of the 4-3 and keeping your better coverage backers on the field.

Because they have such a wide edge, it makes it really difficult to get a QB out of the pocket to the QB's right side. The QB would have to roll left and half the field is taken away as viable attacking zones for the offense.

You see how wide these guys go. The DE is attacking the outside edge while the backer is dropping out into the flat/QB contain

The three interior guys try and bull rush to collapse the pocket while the DE on the weakside takes a wide rush to get by the T. If Kap tries to roll out right he's creamed. If he tries to take off left he's having to try and accelerate away from a DE with a full head of steam already into a LB who's in flat coverage. The best way to slow down this edge rush is with runs inside the DE to force him to play a 2 gap role.
OK ladies and gents, you should VERY much take the time to listen to Oscar and crew's podcast covering the expected, "opening up the offense": http://www.49erswebzone.com/podcasts/

It's terrfic and very much in line with this thread and our points.

I'll highlight some key info they noted from PFF but I really encourage you to listen on your own:
Role of the nickleback = 60% on the field, have to be able to blitz, have to tackle very well, footwork/technique has to be tremendous d/t the WR being able to go inside or outside, has to be very smart with tremendous speed, ball skills, ST ability, etc. Morris could be the man over Ward d/t his injury and lack of experience in our defense!

On to offense:
Probably won't throw MORE but add more complexity to the existing concepts already run.
Smash (7) concept is their favorite #1 route (VD had 7 TD's from this route)...it's a 2 man receiver route; choose the high to low read based on what the DB does.
Whether it's Boldin from the slot or VD from the TE spot, 1/3 of our corner throws are TD's. 2nd hightest QB rated for these corner routes.
Out routes - threw 42 of these (2nd most).
The theme here are "throws to the sidelines." Smash, corner routes with a hitch, out routes, etc. All to use CK's rocket arm.
4th favorite route is crossing routes (mostly rub-routes). CK lead the league with 87% completion percentage. Many AR1 and 2's here. Run lots of 3 and 4 verticals (esp. on one side of the field) but most are designed to get isolation for 1 WR usually crossing under these routes open. This includes bunch formations which are good for getting WR's off jams.
Play action - 7th highest PA% in the NFL at 28% of the time (NFL average is 21%). We run PA on 50% of our first down plays (average is 28%). Big time running team (duh); run more than we pass.
The 49ers stay away from the middle portion of the field in the passing game. Even passes to the middle are often times on crossing routes (i.e. getting towards the sidelines).
We line up in the Q-formation/Pistol 3rd highest in the NFL (15%). We don't run options very much though.

Where are we not opening up but could see added to 2014?
Rebuilding the passing game from the core concepts which is a heavy running game.
#1 – Throw to the middle (only 38% for CK…most are over 50% to 66% of the time). We only threw in-breaking routes to the middle (13 times…NFL is more than double that). We don't throw posts.
#2 – Dial up someone other than Boldin and VD (1 TD to Crabtree). CK only threw 106 total passes to the middle of the field which is the lowest in the NFL (only injured QB's are in this bottom).
#3 – Add RB screens; ran them on less than 2% of drop backs (lowest in the NFL by far) and only 20-30 WR screens all year.
#4 – Run more underneath drag routes w/o a cross or pick. Patton, Johnson and Ellington could be ideal for these. Add the drive concept to this concept. You add a dig behind (VD) this drag to give the QB another option. In short, use the speed to open up the offense
#5 – Add the middle dump-off. For me personally, I'd add ANY check downs to this offense (esp. on delays out to the flats) as THE most important step for opening up our offense. They noted often times they'd move Miller out to the edge, again, moving everything to the sidelines. This responsibility falls on both coaching/scheme and CK. PFF rating from 0-10 yards has CK in the bottom 3rd. Relies too much on big plays and running; needs to utilize all the weapons. From 11-20 yards, he's in the top 3rd.
#6 – Attacking with triangles (concepts) in the middle of the field/stretching the field. We just need to install new plays. This is what Baalke noted…we need to now stretch DB's out, not just forward and backwards (downhill or turn and run along the sideline/to the corners but get them moving sideways and all the way across the field). For example, add two WR's on one side (one deep, one shallow) and another in the slot. Now the DB can't just drop deep or stay shallow but ALSO have to consider covering left or right. It puts added stress on the DB's (i.e. a snag – just using a smash concept and adding a 3rd receiver to the mix so you have 3 receivers in a 2 DB area and forced to cover any/every angle). Still design-run and scramble CK. He rolls out on designed passing plays 9.3% of the time (4th highest - Wilson #1) and scrambles 9.7% of the time (3rd highest); accuracy on the run is very good as well. These are other tendencies.

Overall: This validates that for 2013, we were a run-focused team centered on PA passes with sideline/corner tunnel vision passing and we relied solely on the intermediate passing game. #1-#6 is exactly what many of us have wanted to expand upon last year. Will HaRoman do it now?

They'll cover package plays and triple-options later (pipe dream for us).
Here's some of those runs you guys were asking about early - also piggybacks off what I posted about interior runs being the key.

here we're going to try Seattle's own stretch run play against them. We're going to run a stretch play to the wide side of the field. Bringing in the jumbo packages forces Seattle into their wide set and opens a hole between the end and interior lineman.

Here you can see the "bubble" opened up on the end. Sometimes, if you watch any "mic'd up" or "sound fx" you'll hear a coach call a "bubble screen" or "bubble power" play. That's where they're talking about - trying to attack the "bubble" in the defense - which is what we're doing here.

The key to this play is if Iupati can get to the 2nd level. The D-lineman does a great job though of not taking on McDonald who's blocking him, but trying to disrupt Iupati from getting to the LB. The LB Wagner makes the tackle - but it's the D-lineman who made the play.

Staley has a nice kickout on the LB to the end, but, it's the interior lineman's play that helps free Wagner for the tackle. You can see the hole opened up by Seattle's alignment and ends, but we can't capitalize.

If we're able to establish some of these runs, that's what will slow down Seattle's edge rush and open up the passing game. It's not as much about execution and evolution in the passing game as it is consistently executing in the run game.
Here's another example of how they stopped our run game:

You see how again, Seattle essentially comes with a 7 man front. I've highlighted the "bubble" once again - between the end and interior lineman.

Here we're running a "read-option" play. This one's on the guards - both Iupati and Boone blow it on this play. Goodwin and boone aren't on the same page. Goodwin is supposed to chip the 1 technique and move to the LB. Boone, thinks he's supposed to chip the 1 tech and move to the 2nd level as well. As a result, both just give a quick chip block to the 1 tech and then look for a 2nd level defender to block.

You see how both Boone and Goodwin let the 1 technique DT by. Iupati also fires out too high against the 3 technique DT. This allows the 3 to get underneath Iupati and maintain leverage so that Iupati can't move him out of the way.

You see how Goodwin is able to get to the 2nd level, but Boone is standing there blocking air..... Iupati is also trying to take the DT to the ground but, because he can't move him out of the way from poor leverage it ends up making a pile in Gore's way.

You see how it's now just a hodgepodge of humanity on Gore.....

From this angle you can see how it's the two DT's that blow up the play. Again, the holes are there, we have to capitalize on them. This is how we can slow down Seattle's edge rush
Share 49ersWebzone