There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick Thread (2014-15 Season)

• Phil
Originally posted by WeDidIt:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Going around posting like that or making remarks when people offer constructive criticism isn't needed in this thread. You have only been here since 2012 or so your profile says. This idea that you should support the QB no matter what, wasn't very popular for a long time. If all you want is a Kap is so wonderful, can do no wrong, blah blah circle jerk of worship - this thread will get boring and useless. Nobody wants him to fail but there are things he needs to work on and improve on. If you cant see that or acknowledge that..that's on you.

But you see. I DO think people want him to fail. Absolutely.
Why the hell would anyone (who's a Niner fan) want him to fail? Pointing out that he has room to grow as a passer isn't wanting him to fail.
  • Phil
Originally posted by ayetee:
Originally posted by sking20854:
Originally posted by Phil:
Kap looked like hot garbage in a few games last season and it wasn't all because Crabtree was missing. They changed the rules on the read option before the season started, to where the QB would be considered a ball carrier which basically ended the read option (if you want to keep your QB's head on his shoulders). They tried to adjust his game away from running not because of any foot injury. The fact is he ran less and couldn't really be accurate from the pocket at which point the drastically scaled back his passing attempts. He was going under 50% completion percentage for a while there. And I know Baldwin/Kyle Williams/Osgood aren't good WR's but he would leave people wide open on the field. Wouldn't even look their way.

I know we're all suppose to be homers and praise everything our team does but Kap has a lot of progress to make before our passing game improves. And I think he'll make that progress. I think he'll find the open man more often, he'll be more accurate, he'll stop thinking run run run and give plays one more second to develop and perhaps he'll have more poise in the pocket. Our O-line wasn't doing him any major favors last season either but there were times when, even on live national TV during a game, the FO could be heard criticizing his inability to hit the open man.

He's not a fully developed QB yet. He has a lot of room to improve and this season, with all the weapons we have on offense, should be the year we see improvement. Last season the first Seattle game, Colts, Rams, Texans, Titans, Jacksonville, Carolina, Saints and Falcons games were bad as far as passing. He really only had 3 or 4 good passing games. Green Bay, the Arizona games and the second Rams game. I was holding my breath the rest of the games but his legs minimized the damage in the Jax/Tenn/Atl games. I know he can run...he needs to improve his passing game. Be more consistent...go through progressions more often. Throw with different speeds depending on what's needed for the situation. Work on an arch/lob for redzone passes. Hit guys in stride more often. Throw his guys open in lieu of forcing the ball into coverage.

I agree with guys like Steve Young and Joe Montana when they point out areas where he needs to grow. The man is by far not a finished product. This season he has all the weapons at his disposal so things should improve but I'm not completely sold on the idea that he can take advantage of 3 and 4 WR sets with Boldin/Crabs/Johnson/Lloyd on the field at the same time. We'll know midway through the season.

Statements like this make me question what exactly is a good passing game. In the Jax/Tenn/Atl games Kap threw for ~62% and to even include the Jacksonville game when he threw one pass in the second half is perplexing to me. He was 9/15 for 170 yds at half and threw one pass (completed) in the second quarter before leaving the game for Colt McCoy.

So is a good passing game only when he throws over 300yds?

For people who have decided that whatever Kaep does is always wrong, what you said about the Jacksonville game will be presented as,"...Kaep's passing game was terrible even against the Jaguars which has one of the worst defenses in the league. He only completed ten passes for less than 200 yards. At the end, Colt McCoy had to come in to finish the game for Kaep."

We had turnovers and Hunter almost ran for almost 100 yards that game. We also beat the Texans 34-3 and our passing game wasn't good that game.
We had turnovers and Hunter almost ran for almost 100 yards that game. We also beat the Texans 34-3 and our passing game wasn't good that game.

Now we know for certain you didn't watch.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM ]
Originally posted by ayetee:
Kap looked like hot garbage in a few games last season and it wasn't all because Crabtree was missing. They changed the rules on the read option before the season started, to where the QB would be considered a ball carrier which basically ended the read option (if you want to keep your QB's head on his shoulders). They tried to adjust his game away from running not because of any foot injury. The fact is he ran less and couldn't really be accurate from the pocket at which point the drastically scaled back his passing attempts. He was going under 50% completion percentage for a while there. And I know Baldwin/Kyle Williams/Osgood aren't good WR's but he would leave people wide open on the field. Wouldn't even look their way.

I know we're all suppose to be homers and praise everything our team does but Kap has a lot of progress to make before our passing game improves. And I think he'll make that progress. I think he'll find the open man more often, he'll be more accurate, he'll stop thinking run run run and give plays one more second to develop and perhaps he'll have more poise in the pocket. Our O-line wasn't doing him any major favors last season either but there were times when, even on live national TV during a game, the FO could be heard criticizing his inability to hit the open man.

He's not a fully developed QB yet. He has a lot of room to improve and this season, with all the weapons we have on offense, should be the year we see improvement. Last season the first Seattle game, Colts, Rams, Texans, Titans, Jacksonville, Carolina, Saints and Falcons games were bad as far as passing. He really only had 3 or 4 good passing games. Green Bay, the Arizona games and the second Rams game. I was holding my breath the rest of the games but his legs minimized the damage in the Jax/Tenn/Atl games. I know he can run...he needs to improve his passing game. Be more consistent...go through progressions more often. Throw with different speeds depending on what's needed for the situation. Work on an arch/lob for redzone passes. Hit guys in stride more often. Throw his guys open in lieu of forcing the ball into coverage.

I agree with guys like Steve Young and Joe Montana when they point out areas where he needs to grow. The man is by far not a finished product. This season he has all the weapons at his disposal so things should improve but I'm not completely sold on the idea that he can take advantage of 3 and 4 WR sets with Boldin/Crabs/Johnson/Lloyd on the field at the same time. We'll know midway through the season.

Statements like this make me question what exactly is a good passing game. In the Jax/Tenn/Atl games Kap threw for ~62% and to even include the Jacksonville game when he threw one pass in the second half is perplexing to me. He was 9/15 for 170 yds at half and threw one pass (completed) in the second quarter before leaving the game for Colt McCoy.

So is a good passing game only when he throws over 300yds?

For people who have decided that whatever Kaep does is always wrong, what you said about the Jacksonville game will be presented as,"...Kaep's passing game was terrible even against the Jaguars which has one of the worst defenses in the league. He only completed ten passes for less than 200 yards. At the end, Colt McCoy had to come in to finish the game for Kaep."

Our passing game wasn't 'good' by the only metric you seem to care about... YPG.

We simply didn't need to pass the ball that game. It was over midway through the second quarter. But even though Kap didn't have a good completion percentage or many yards, he still had a 90 QB rating. It cracks me up to see posters go on and on about homerism and act like their s**t don't stink. You're simply moving the goal posts to make your opinion appear to be that of a "realist". But you're not a realist, you're the opposite of a homer.

Now I won't go on to school you, because I don't have to. The work of breaking down Kap's game has been done thoroughly by the likes of johnnydel and thl who provided in depth analysis of numerous plays throughout the year. The conclusion... the narrative that so many posters and media are pushing that Kap can't do this or doesn't do that is completely unfounded in the tape. Yes, Kap can stand to improve in quite a few areas, I don't see anyone proclaiming otherwise, but the idea that he can't read his progressions or put touch on a pass is insane. But continue to parade your YPG stat around like it actually means something.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Aug 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM ]
Originally posted by natrone06:

I remember Kaep DOMINATING JAX, and being pulled for McCoy. We just we're running so effectively, why stop?!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by natrone06:

I remember Kaep DOMINATING JAX, and being pulled for McCoy. We just we're running so effectively, why stop?!

Same with Texans game. Dude clearly is trying to make the evidence fit his preconceived notions.
Why the hell would anyone (who's a Niner fan) want him to fail? Pointing out that he has room to grow as a passer isn't wanting him to fail.

You underestimate just how petty people can be. Understand, I don't think people criticizing Kaep want him to fail. I feel some people in general want him to fail and you can tell by how they criticize him and what they criticize him on. You can say that about damn near any athlete but something about Kaep really bothers some 9er fans. Why? Various reasons.
In the Texans game, the Niners ran 36 times and passed 15 times. In the Jaguars game, the Niners ran 38 times and passed 16 times.

This is why analyzing Kaepernick based on yards per game is almost not even relevant. Was the scheme the way it was because they didn't trust Kaepernick to pass or was it because they knew they could run on these teams all day long and just beat them down? We don't know. But, we can know that when the team DID pass, it was effective. In the Jaguars game, the Niners got more than 10 yards per pass attempt and over 16 yards per completion. In the Texans game, the Niners got over 18 yards per completion, largely because of a perfect 64 yard strike to V. Davis for a TD.

We had one turnover in that game and it did not lead to the offense scoring since it was a fumble in the second half that was scooped up for a TD.

I feel like you're relying on the stats to explain this game when the reality is that Kap led them on 4 scoring drives before the half and it was never close after that first pass to Miller.

I'm not saying Kap doesn't have room to improve but saying that he played poorly in three of those game you mentioned when he was over 60% passing leads me to believe that your only measure of a good passing game is whether Kap has thrown for ~300yds.
  • Phil

We had one turnover in that game and it did not lead to the offense scoring since it was a fumble in the second half that was scooped up for a TD.

I feel like you're relying on the stats to explain this game when the reality is that Kap led them on 4 scoring drives before the half and it was never close after that first pass to Miller.

I'm not saying Kap doesn't have room to improve but saying that he played poorly in three of those game you mentioned when he was over 60% passing leads me to believe that your only measure of a good passing game is whether Kap has thrown for ~300yds.

Not relying on stats. I watched every single game. Kap struggled and our passing game was lacking most of the season. It was mediocre when Crabtree came back. Kaepernick struggled making the transition from the read option. Denying this is just silly. There's a reason he was limited to so few attempts after the early season meltdown. There's a reason teams were stacking the box daring us to throw. Going into teh second Seattle game he ranked 33'rd in completion percentage. 33'rd.

Why would Steve Young say this?

""That's going to be a very difficult thing for Colin to master. He's going to have to tie his legs in training camp. Literally, he should tie his legs, physically, so he can't do anything but throw from the pocket,"....."This is a big moment for the 49ers entering the future. I think the challenge is going to be how he develops and how do they use him," said Young. "Because guys with legs, they have to transition. It's not about the legs; it's can you develop into that guy who can orchestrate from the pocket. If he's going to be like that, he needs to develop still. And then you're paying him $61 million guaranteed — you have to expect that that's going to be the development that takes place."

Why would Montana say this?

"I like his mobility and that he's getting the ball downfield, but sometimes, he needs to be more accurate in the pocket with pressure. The game is changing. Nobody wants to throw with pressure anymore. But the guys who can win in this league are the ones who can make throws from the pocket." "Kaepernick still needs to get better at that, he'll look and then he's off and running. I still think the thing is the pocket and making those tight throws from the pocket. He'll make some,but a lot of times guys are wide open, and he misses them."

"So many different things come up from the college game, like the run-and-shoot. What happens? It always come back to, 'Can the guy throw the ball from the pocket?' You'll see some things catch on for a while, and then they disappear. How long did the Wildcat last in the NFL?"

There's also a reason we brought Witfiield in. To work on some of the issues and help his pocket game progress to a more consistent level. We didnt bring Goerge in to work with backups. Because his pocket/passing game does in fact need to improve. Does this mean Young and Montana hate Kap and are Alex Smith fans? Of course not. Do I want to do a game by game play by play analysis? No, but I will if people keep implying I'm some sort of Kaepernick hater. It is as I said, if we see the Kap from most of last season we're in trouble. Our passing game/Kap needs to improve early in the season to make up for defensive players being MIA. Kap needs to go through progressions on a more consistent basis. Stop thinking run run run. Put a softer touch on certian passes. Hit WR's in stride more often. Work on passes with more of an arch for the redzone. This season we'll have, at times, 4 very good WR's on the field at the same time, with VD as well. He needs to be able to hit the open man because there will be one open on more plays than not. He needs to make D's pay for stacking the box on most other plays. Has to utilize checkdowns more often. We need to design more passing plays to RB's. More screens. We also need to take more shots down the middle.

The main issue, as I see it, is most of his football experience was in the read-option. Making the transition to more of a pocket passer, also while his WR corps was lacking, was an uphill battle. This year he has a full WR stable and an entire 2013 season and offseason to prepare for a different style of play than he was use to.I think he'll improve and as a result I think we'll pass more. I'm thinking he'll put up around 63% completion percentage on the season with around 3600 yards, 30 TD's and abvout 13-14 ints IF he can utilize all our WR's from the pocket.

Not relying on stats. I watched every single game. Kap struggled and our passing game was lacking most of the season. It was mediocre when Crabtree came back. Kaepernick struggled making the transition from the read option. Denying this is just silly. There's a reason he was limited to so few attempts after the early season meltdown. There's a reason teams were stacking the box daring us to throw. Going into teh second Seattle game he ranked 33'rd in completion percentage. 33'rd.

""That's going to be a very difficult thing for Colin to master. He's going to have to tie his legs in training camp. Literally, he should tie his legs, physically, so he can't do anything but throw from the pocket,"....."This is a big moment for the 49ers entering the future. I think the challenge is going to be how he develops and how do they use him," said Young. "Because guys with legs, they have to transition. It's not about the legs; it's can you develop into that guy who can orchestrate from the pocket. If he's going to be like that, he needs to develop still. And then you're paying him $61 million guaranteed — you have to expect that that's going to be the development that takes place."

"I like his mobility and that he's getting the ball downfield, but sometimes, he needs to be more accurate in the pocket with pressure. The game is changing. Nobody wants to throw with pressure anymore. But the guys who can win in this league are the ones who can make throws from the pocket." "Kaepernick still needs to get better at that, he'll look and then he's off and running. I still think the thing is the pocket and making those tight throws from the pocket. He'll make some,but a lot of times guys are wide open, and he misses them."

"So many different things come up from the college game, like the run-and-shoot. What happens? It always come back to, 'Can the guy throw the ball from the pocket?' You'll see some things catch on for a while, and then they disappear. How long did the Wildcat last in the NFL?"

There's also a reason we brought Witfiield in. To work on some of the issues and help his pocket game progress to a more consistent level. We didnt bring Goerge in to work with backups. Because his pocket/passing game does in fact need to improve. Does this mean Young and Montana hate Kap and are Alex Smith fans? Of course not. Do I want to do a game by game play by play analysis? No, but I will if people keep implying I'm some sort of Kaepernick hater. It is as I said, if we see the Kap from most of last season we're in trouble. Our passing game/Kap needs to improve early in the season to make up for defensive players being MIA. Kap needs to go through progressions on a more consistent basis. Stop thinking run run run. Put a softer touch on certian passes. Hit WR's in stride more often. Work on passes with more of an arch for the redzone. This season we'll have, at times, 4 very good WR's on the field at the same time, with VD as well. He needs to be able to hit the open man because there will be one open on more plays than not. He needs to make D's pay for stacking the box on most other plays. Has to utilize checkdowns more often. We need to design more passing plays to RB's. More screens. We also need to take more shots down the middle.

The main issue, as I see it, is most of his football experience was in the read-option. Making the transition to more of a pocket passer, also while his WR corps was lacking, was an uphill battle. This year he has a full WR stable and an entire 2013 season and offseason to prepare for a different style of play than he was use to.I think he'll improve and as a result I think we'll pass more. I'm thinking he'll put up around 63% completion percentage on the season with around 3600 yards, 30 TD's and abvout 13-14 ints IF he can utilize all our WR's from the pocket.

Lol....

Struggling?

If its Kaep it's struggling

If its a certain QB from KC it's winning
Once again Top 10 in QB rating, QBR, YPA, TD:INT ratio. Oh yeah, he's also a proven winner.

Kap ain't struggling. Maybe he didn't live up to the insane expectations people put on a 3rd year QB with a depleted WR core, but he's not struggling.

Kaep had to play most of the season with a depleted WR core. The lack of a passing attack had nothing to do with trust. This is where you could be accused of "hate". You have 0 factual data to support this claim. All I can say is Harbaugh and co have a run heavy philosophy. QBs have low attempts under them. Luck's attempts were low. Smith's attempts were low and Kaep's are low as well. No matter the QB, there was no prollific passing under Harbaugh. It has nothing to do with trust. 9ers have been top 10 in rushing attempts every season Harbaugh has been here. They have also been bottom 10 each season too. That tells me Harbaugh likes to run the ball! How that turns into him not trusting Kaep is beyond me. Teams have always stacked the box ever since Harbaugh got here. They actually backed off when Kaepernick came in and was able to stretch the field. Teams stacked the box because we had a predictable offense. No receiver to stretch the field and no screen game coupled with predictable and conservative playcalling. Don't get me wrong. Kaep had some issues but I disagree with most of this post.

I also disagree that Kaep can't throw from the pocket. He can and has.

The problem with this discussion is people speak in absolutes and black/white when there are many grey areas. You're not all the way wrong, but I just disagree with the notion that the team hid Kaep or put the training wheels on.

Calling a bad stretch a "meltdown" is a little much.
[ Edited by WeDidIt on Aug 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM ]
if we see the Kap from most of last season we're in trouble.

So if we see a top ten QB rating, top ten QBR rating, top ten YPA, top ten INT%, we are in trouble?

So being efficient gets us in trouble, throwing for big chunks of yards gets us in trouble, throwing very few INT's gets us in trouble.

I think I have a solution. Trade Kap for Carson Palmer.

Struggling? Ok, Montana and Young made their statements. Lets look at their first FULL season? Pretty sure it wasnt pretty. Especially early in youngs career.. Keap is not a finish product.. Yes he has work to do but he also get a lot of hate along with the criticism. Let him progress.. He only had 1 full season under his belt?