There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Special Teams 2014

Originally posted by buck:
day 2 notes

Ellington also looked smooth on kickoff-return duties, where Hyde, Lattimore and Devon Wylie also saw action alongside regulars LaMichael James and Kendall Hunter

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/06/18/minicamp-day-2-notes-interceptions-pass-rush-lead-defensive-dominance-rookies-ellington-hyde-fare-well/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

Wonderful. Get ALL of these guys a TON of work and let the best man win. Period. Don't try to force feed James or Cox (esp. Cox b/c we need him focused in the secondary).

PR/KOR: LaMichael James; Perrish Cox, Darryl Morris, Devon Wiley, Bruce Ellington, L.J. McCray & Kenneth Acker (even Carlos Hyde).
  • buck
  • Veteran
Incumbent punt returner LaMichael James has shown consistency returning punts and kickoffs in practice, but he's not alone in competition for both roles.

"Perrish Cox has been doing a nice job there," Harbaugh said. "Devon Wylie, very good. Bruce Ellington is doing a nice job back there catching the ball."

"I think we're going to come out of this with a real good returner, and not just one. Feel good about that position."

James ranked 10th in the NFL with 10.9 yards per punt return in 2013.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Day-3-Observations-from-49ers-Minicamp/dc7e9002-354f-4f64-8917-dd25d67b703d
Incumbent punt returner LaMichael James has shown consistency returning punts and kickoffs in practice, but he's not alone in competition for both roles.

"Perrish Cox has been doing a nice job there," Harbaugh said. "Devon Wylie, very good. Bruce Ellington is doing a nice job back there catching the ball."

"I think we're going to come out of this with a real good returner, and not just one. Feel good about that position."

James ranked 10th in the NFL with 10.9 yards per punt return in 2013.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Day-3-Observations-from-49ers-Minicamp/dc7e9002-354f-4f64-8917-dd25d67b703d

Finally some good news. Hopefully Bruce wins the spot, I like Cox also. I would prefer to deal James away, cause he won't see play time at RB, and he won't be happy about it, he said he wants to be more than a returner recently.
I wanna see Okoye on kickoffs gunning for Harvin
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Finally some good news. Hopefully Bruce wins the spot, I like Cox also. I would prefer to deal James away, cause he won't see play time at RB, and he won't be happy about it, he said he wants to be more than a returner recently.

I have been trying to understand the cap ramifications of cutting LaMichael James.

I have his cap cost for this year at $905,154.

If we cut him we gain $478,282 in cap saving, but we will would also have $426,872 in dead money.

I am not sure if my figures are correct and I do understand the importance of the dead money.

My understanding is that these numbers do change if we trade James.

Do the cap figures make it more difficult to cut or trade James?

Thanks for your answer to my questions.

edit: Also, if you can, what would be the cap impact of cutting Dahl.

I have cutting Dahl as giving us $451,666 in cap saving but leaving us with $831,667 in dead money.

Thanks again.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 20, 2014 at 5:53 AM ]
  • DeUh
Looking at our current roster my top kick off coverage unit team looks like this:

Darryl Morris
Corey Lemonier
Kassim Osgood
Perrish Cox
Blake Costanzo
Phil Dawson
Bubba Ventrone
L.J McCray
CJ Spillman
Dan Skuta
Dontae Johnson

* from left to right as an example.

There are quite a few more players who I could see make a push into the unit but looking through last years tapes, stats, a little research on our rookies and my two cents on responsibilities and different cover schemes on ST those are my personal top players at the moment.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Someone has to show that he can return punts and kick-offs better than James before he gets cut.

Hunter has done well on kickoff returns and I'd be good with someone whose atleast sure handed even if he doesn't average much yards on punts. LMJs averages may have looked nice but he let go of the ball way more often then what it should have been. It may not show up in the stats because he recovered or it went out of bounds but sooner or later these balls aren't going to bounce our way.

I can recall two muffed punts for LMJ last season. Against WAS and against SEA in the nfccg. The 49ers were able to recover in both instances. I like LMJ with the ball in his hands, but watching him watch the punt come down is a bit nerve wracking. It might be from the traumatizing experience thanks to KW.

I am nervous any time I see James back there returning punts. He takes chances catching the ball, and that's not something I am a fan of from returners. Take chances once it's in your hands and secured, but not prior to.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Looking at our current roster my top kick off coverage unit team looks like this:

Darryl Morris
Corey Lemonier
Kassim Osgood
Perrish Cox
Blake Costanzo
Phil Dawson
Bubba Ventrone
L.J McCray
CJ Spillman
Dan Skuta
Dontae Johnson

There are quite a few more players who I could see make a push into the unit but looking through last years tapes, stats, a little research on our rookies and my two cents on responsibilities and different cover schemes on ST those are my personal top players at the moment.

Agreed...only thing that may change is that Morris may no longer be a gunner given he's spending extra time working full time as a CB now, as is Cox (and we're thinner thanks for Wright leaving). They may take that risk more if Ward developing into the starter at the slot. Injuries at ST is something that needs to be weighed heavily.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Darryl Morris
Corey Lemonier
Kassim Osgood
Perrish Cox
Blake Costanzo
Phil Dawson
Bubba Ventrone
L.J McCray
CJ Spillman
Dan Skuta
Dontae Johnson

Agreed...only thing that may change is that Morris may no longer be a gunner given he's spending extra time working full time as a CB now, as is Cox (and we're thinner thanks for Wright leaving). They may take that risk more if Ward developing into the starter at the slot. Injuries at ST is something that needs to be weighed heavily.

If we're specifically talking about ST and not garnering support for a defensive or offensive position, Id have to think Okoye has some value as a gunner... Huge, fast, and explosive ... The problem for him is he has to beat out Dial / TJE / Dobbs / Ramsey. That's the real question.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Thinking Ventrone, Dahl, Osgood are goners.

I think Dahl is definitely out, but Ventrone and Osgood are really valuable in their roles. Don't think they will be cut.
  • DeUh
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Darryl Morris
Corey Lemonier
Kassim Osgood
Perrish Cox
Blake Costanzo
Phil Dawson
Bubba Ventrone
L.J McCray
CJ Spillman
Dan Skuta
Dontae Johnson

If we're specifically talking about ST and not garnering support for a defensive or offensive position, Id have to think Okoye has some value as a gunner... Huge, fast, and explosive ... The problem for him is he has to beat out Dial / TJE / Dobbs / Ramsey. That's the real question.

Yes, great point ! Always held my breath last year when I saw Reid on ST. Right now I see Ward as our nickel and Morris as the back up but would have ZERO problems if Morris takes the job through TC. I think Morris has tremendous talent, is smart + very competitive.

Yes from the different reports it sounds that Okoye could definitely be mentioned here! Just never saw him with my own eyes, so I will wait till then. Borland is another one I could see make a strong push for a role on the coverage unit.

[ Edited by DeUh on Jun 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM ]
  • DeUh
Digging through tapes the last couple of days to see which of our rookies could possibly see playing time on ST.

I think Ward is definitely one who could be great ( though i hope he secures the nickel spot in TC )

Definitely Chris Borland. Should be fun to see him on ST.

Another one is Carlos Hyde.
[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM ]
Nah, AB, I got a personal communication from roman that he would be using LMJ for 6-8 RB passes every game. With plans like that, james is solid. As a big roman fan, he likes to keep me posted.

On a serious note, beware Coach H compliments. The reaper can't be far behind. I DO hope the other guys are showing something however.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I think Dahl is definitely out, but Ventrone and Osgood are really valuable in their roles. Don't think they will be cut.

I honestly don't remember Ventrone doing anything special, he's easily replaced
  • DeUh
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I honestly don't remember Ventrone doing anything special, he's easily replaced

Feel free to read this article. http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Ventrone-Most-Dangerous-on-49ers-Special-Teams/64c864f5-8678-4e14-b9bb-372e32f099a6