LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Special Teams 2014

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by buck:
If I remember correctly, mistakes on special teams, defense, and offense have cost dearly in the play-offs.

Truth!

Yup. I'm most disappointed in the defensive breakdowns. The defense is a Top 2 unit. To have the lapses in focus we've seen from them in the playoffs is really inexcusable. Hopefully the secondary makeover fixes the issue.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Three of our core special teams players are defensive backs--Dahl, Spillman, Ventrone, and one, Osgood, is a wide receiver.

This off season, Baalke brought in four new wide receivers---Johnson, Lloyd, Reed, and Ellington.

And he brought in seven new defensive back---Bethea, Cook, Ward, Johnson, Acker, Reaser, and McCray.

The team might be looking to get younger on special teams.
I think we might be just as good as the 2011 squad in 2014. We just don't have anyone of Ginn's caliber at returns...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:42 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
There are offensive and defensive players, often unrecognized, that contribute significantly of special teams.

Here are two tables that show their contributions.

To make these lists the players had to play a minimum of 10% of the teams snaps on offenes/defense and special teams.

These guys deserve our

compiled from

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
[ Edited by buck on Jun 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM ]
There are offensive and defensive players, often unrecognized, that contribute significantly of special teams.

Here are two tables that show their contributions.

To make these lists the players had to play a minimum of 10% of the teams snaps on offenes/defense and special teams.

These guys deserve our

compiled from

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Great list and point! I'll admit when I see a guy like Brooks, Dorsey (without Williams) and Justin Smith in on ST's though...not sure if that's for coverage units or protection on FG's, etc.? But it makes you wonder how our ST's will change with Brock a FT starter, Wilhoite, and probably more of McDonald. Who is in line to replace them...ay guesses on what the starting units would be with our current personnel?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great list and point! I'll admit when I see a guy like Brooks, Dorsey (without Williams) and Justin Smith in on ST's though...not sure if that's for coverage units or protection on FG's, etc.? But it makes you wonder how our ST's will change with Brock a FT starter, Wilhoite, and probably more of McDonald. Who is in line to replace them...ay guesses on what the starting units would be with our current personnel?

I would guess that Brooks, Dorsey, and J Smith focus on rushing the punter or kicker when they play special teams.

I have no clue about who will replace who.

I do think the battle for roster spots is inalterably intertwined with special teams' play.

This battle should be one of the more interesting aspects of organized team activities and training camp.

[ Edited by buck on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
notes from organized team activities.

James and cornerback Perrish Cox were the only players handling kick-off returns during a special teams period.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Five-Observations-from-49ers-OTA-Session/6762bd0b-76b6-405e-81b3-3cbc62cc1ea3

Defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye's athleticism has display with his speedy coverage on special teams.

"We've kind of gotten used to it now. We've been seeing it all spring," Harbaugh said. "He's doing a real good job. It doesn't stand out as much now (because) you're kind of used to it. He's doing a good job on the defensive line, too."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/06/10/ota-notes-vernon-davis-alex-boone-still-absent-lynch-hurts-hamstring-gabbert-real-sharp/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
notes from organized team activities.

James and cornerback Perrish Cox were the only players handling kick-off returns during a special teams period.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Five-Observations-from-49ers-OTA-Session/6762bd0b-76b6-405e-81b3-3cbc62cc1ea3

Defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye's athleticism has display with his speedy coverage on special teams.

"We've kind of gotten used to it now. We've been seeing it all spring," Harbaugh said. "He's doing a real good job. It doesn't stand out as much now (because) you're kind of used to it. He's doing a good job on the defensive line, too."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/06/10/ota-notes-vernon-davis-alex-boone-still-absent-lynch-hurts-hamstring-gabbert-real-sharp/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

That's probably 100% accurate re: Brooks, Dorsey and Smith...makes sense, for sure.

Aren't these reports great...and LJ McCray making plays as a S as well (b/c we has the most return experience of all our rookies). Carrier is making plays as an H-back on the fastest CB we have in Morris. Devon Wiley (another good, experienced returner) is catching slants against Brock of all CB's. Man, this unit is going to be hard to predict but it should be a special one when it's all said and done.
  • buck
  • Veteran
James believes he can be one of best returners in NFL

"I want to return kicks," James said Tuesday after a voluntary 49ers offseason practice. "I do feel like I can be one of the best in the league at it. I need to embrace that role right now. I really want to be the best at it."

James tied for 10th in the NFL with a 10.9-yard average on 23 returns last season. This offseason, he looks more comfortable handling punts -- even in the stiff wind on the team's practice field.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/james-believes-he-can-be-one-best-returners-nfl

Interesting read. James expresses his dissatisfaction, but he does not sound whinny.
“But the best players play. If something happens, they beat me out, or whatever it is, then, power to them. I’m not the kind of guy who’s going to pout because I got beat out.”
STFU. Still wish we would get rid of this guy already.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

Someone has to show that he can return punts and kick-offs better than James before he gets cut.

Someone has to show that he can return punts and kick-offs better than James before he gets cut.

Hunter has done well on kickoff returns and I'd be good with someone whose atleast sure handed even if he doesn't average much yards on punts. LMJs averages may have looked nice but he let go of the ball way more often then what it should have been. It may not show up in the stats because he recovered or it went out of bounds but sooner or later these balls aren't going to bounce our way.
  • thl408

Hunter has done well on kickoff returns and I'd be good with someone whose atleast sure handed even if he doesn't average much yards on punts. LMJs averages may have looked nice but he let go of the ball way more often then what it should have been. It may not show up in the stats because he recovered or it went out of bounds but sooner or later these balls aren't going to bounce our way.

I can recall two muffed punts for LMJ last season. Against WAS and against SEA in the nfccg. The 49ers were able to recover in both instances. I like LMJ with the ball in his hands, but watching him watch the punt come down is a bit nerve wracking. It might be from the traumatizing experience thanks to KW.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Hunter may be able to take his spot on kick off returns. Somebody else, maybe Cox, may be able to take his spot on punt returns.

But, between may be able to take and take is a long mile---and when you look at the dead money that comes with cutting James, that mile gets a lot longer.

I find James' tweets more than a little bothersome, but I am convince that he must be beat out on the field of play, not in social media world of the internet.

If the team could put up with antics of Owens, the team can put up with the tweet irritation of James.

But, make no mistake, I would really like to see someone beat him out.
Originally posted by thl408:
I can recall two muffed punts for LMJ last season. Against WAS and against SEA in the nfccg. The 49ers were able to recover in both instances. I like LMJ with the ball in his hands, but watching him watch the punt come down is a bit nerve wracking. It might be from the traumatizing experience thanks to KW.

He scares the crap out of me as much as Williams did with concussion symptoms!

Thank God we have some pretty epic competition back there now!
Share 49ersWebzone