LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Special Teams 2014

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by 9moon:
The more I watch McCray plays, the more I think that Bethea will not be on this team very long...

Sorry to correct you, but don't you mean Dahl. Bethea has been awesome so far for us, he is a keeper.
yup
Originally posted by NCommand:
How do we ONLY have Osgood and Lee on one side WHILE we kick to the left? #failoneverylevel

I blame that more on Lee. Punt it other side or out of bounds.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
How do we ONLY have Osgood and Lee on one side WHILE we kick to the left? #failoneverylevel

Yeah there had to be a miscommunication or execution issue there... but we were kicking to Sproles all day.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Yeah there had to be a miscommunication or execution issue there... but we were kicking to Sproles all day.

Since we went the cheap, younger route on ST, you'd think there would be little drop off, but not this badly! And Sproles been around the league like forever, out of bounds would have been an excellent game plan.
Good grind-it-out win today overall but again the ST was pretty bad. On our kick & punt returns, it's almost like we have no chance to score a TD at all (blocking isn't there, etc.). In the second half, we score the quick TD and then Dawson kicks it off only to their 1 yard line...and then they return it to the 40 w/ the crappy coverage. Kick the damn ball through the end zone and make them start at their own 20 and go the 80 yards - I'd put my bet on our D stopping them like they had most of the game. Also, our LS Nelson...what's going on w/ some of those snaps on FGs? Lee saved him the other game w/ the good catch and hold...today, the snap was off again and Lee couldn't bail him out. We really could have used that FG, too, as it would have given just that much more breathing room.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Nov 16, 2014 at 2:37 PM ]
Should be better since we still have Osgood, Ventrone and Dahl hanging around. Really want to be able to move on from them but young guys have to start stepping up.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 16, 2014 at 2:37 PM ]
The kickoff & punt return units and coverage units have to be up there as some of the worst in the league. Almost always a penalty on returns...even when it's a fair catch on a punt, there have been penalties! With the return game, it always looks like there's no chance one will be broken for a TD or a long gain. Could really use better play in these areas, especially during tight games like the past few. Starting to wonder how much coaching has to do with this...Seely was once considered one of the best ST coaches in the league.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Nov 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM ]
When will Baalke concentrate on getting a real return man? Its been four years and we're putting our starting CB out there to return punts? INEXCUSABLE.
Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 4h 4 hours ago #49ers worked out KR/PR/WR Trindon Holliday and UDFA RB David Fluellen on Monday.

Watching the KR/PR last week made me close my eyes every time, hoping they sign Trindon Holliday cant think of anybody else that can do the job.
[ Edited by 49ersOnMINE on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 4h 4 hours ago #49ers worked out KR/PR/WR Trindon Holliday and UDFA RB David Fluellen on Monday.

Watching the KR/PR last week made me close my eyes every time, hoping they sign Trindon Holliday cant think of anybody else that can do the job.

I agree. Would love Holliday as our KR/PR.

Special teams almost gave the Niners a loss against redskins. On almost every kickoff, the Niners had the ball behind their 20 yardline, and on some plays, wasn't it like the 2 or 5?? No wonder the offense had almost no production, they had to drive the complete length of the field for points. Not a good start when you are on your own 5, and are limited to plays you can run or shorten your drop back.
Anyone know how we're doing on kickoff coverage? It just seems like every week we see highlights of another team returning one for a TD or blocking a FG and returning it for a TD, some ST trick play, executing an onsides kick (even against us), etc. We just never seem to do anything "positive" for our team.
If Holliday was so good wouldn't he still be on a regular-season roster? Don't get me wrong, he's done some pretty spectacular return stuff in the past and is still probably an upgrade over what we've got right now. I'm just sayin' there's a reason he hasn't been around on a team lately.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Anyone know how we're doing on kickoff coverage? It just seems like every week we see highlights of another team returning one for a TD or blocking a FG and returning it for a TD, some ST trick play, executing an onsides kick (even against us), etc. We just never seem to do anything "positive" for our team.

Kickoff Return

9th in Yards Per Return
17th in Total Yards

Punt Return

28th in Yards Per Return
25th in Total Yards

Kickoff Coverage

18th in Yards Per Return
12th in Total Yards

Punt Coverage

9th in Yards Per Return
7th in Total Yards
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
If Holliday was so good wouldn't he still be on a regular-season roster? Don't get me wrong, he's done some pretty spectacular return stuff in the past and is still probably an upgrade over what we've got right now. I'm just sayin' there's a reason he hasn't been around on a team lately.

Trindon Holliday: Asset or Liability?

Holliday has 5 fumbles on 81 returnable kicks (6.17 percent), 2nd highest in the league, he has 9 muffed punts, leads the league. Combined Trindon has 14 fumbles/muffs on 81 returnable kicks (15.7 percent) and averages a muff or fumble once every 6.7 returns.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/1/3/5269238/trindon-holliday-asset-or-liability
Share 49ersWebzone