LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

Special Teams 2014

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'll be honest, I rarely pay attention to the actual units other than the gunners (Morris, Spillman, Cox, etc.) and the guys who down the ball on the 1 (i.e. Osgood).

SO I can't comment on the lineup BUT this sounds about right and that is a ton of speed out there.

How would they line up? Like this?

Jimmie Ward - Gunner 2
Chris Cook - speed and length/range
Corey Lemonier - tackler
Nick Moody - tackler
Chris Borland - wedge buster
Phil Dawson - Center
Dan Skuta - wedge buster
Craig Dahl - tackler
Derek Carrier - tackler
Perrish Cox - speed and length/range
L.J. McCray - Gunner 1

Based on how we lined up during pre season:

L5 Perrish Cox
L4 Jimmie Ward
L3 Dan Skuta
L2 Craig Dahl
L1 Chris Borland
K Phil Dawson
R1 Nick Moody
R2 Derek Carrier
R3 Corey Lemonier
R4 L.J. McCray
R5 Chris Cook
[ Edited by DeUh on Sep 1, 2014 at 7:20 AM ]
  • thl408
^^ Good stuff guys. Surprised Carrier is on that unit. Thought it'd be DJohnson or Dobbs.
Originally posted by DeUh:
I'll be honest, I rarely pay attention to the actual units other than the gunners (Morris, Spillman, Cox, etc.) and the guys who down the ball on the 1 (i.e. Osgood).

SO I can't comment on the lineup BUT this sounds about right and that is a ton of speed out there.

How would they line up? Like this?

Jimmie Ward - Gunner 2
Chris Cook - speed and length/range
Corey Lemonier - tackler
Nick Moody - tackler
Chris Borland - wedge buster
Phil Dawson - Center
Dan Skuta - wedge buster
Craig Dahl - tackler
Derek Carrier - tackler
Perrish Cox - speed and length/range
L.J. McCray - Gunner 1

Based on how we lined up during pre season:

L5 Perrish Cox
L4 Jimmie Ward
L3 Dan Skuta
L2 Craig Dahl
L1 Chris Borland
K Phil Dawson
R1 Nick Moody
R2 Derek Carrier
R3 Corey Lemonier
R4 L.J. McCray
R5 Chris Cook

That's fascinating. Thanks. We should revisit after the Cowboys game and update.
Originally posted by thl408:
^^ Good stuff guys. Surprised Carrier is on that unit. Thought it'd be DJohnson or Dobbs.

Good point. I wonder if Dobbs would even be active though with Dial and Tank now and with TJE plus a healthy Ian, McDonald and Justin. Johnson makes sense though. I would think he would be active.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
That's fascinating. Thanks. We should revisit after the Cowboys game and update.

Yes ! Keep an eye on Aaron Lynch. Maybe we will substitute Skuta/Lemonier for Lynch ?

P.S.
I just saw this. Bruce Miller + Derek Carrier vs Ravens punt returner.

http://instagram.com/p/rbB24jE7uX?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=Video

• buck
  • Veteran
Dahl plays a major role on special teams.

He played 298 special team snaps last year; 68.4% of the special team snaps--third most on the team.

Dahl, Osgood, Wilhoite, Dobbs, Lemonier, and Skuta were are in the top 10 for special team snaps played last year.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/179364-niners-2014-practice-squad-updated-1st-page/page21/#UQKUPRx6YkjSJeEv.99
So what do we do now as far as this prelimary lineup noted by DeUh?

L5 Perrish Cox
L4 Jimmie Ward - is a FT starter. I would imagine he would now be replaced by Osgood
L3 Dan Skuta - shares FT starter snaps with Lemonier (are we willing to risk it)
L2 Craig Dahl
L1 Chris Borland
K Phil Dawson
R1 Nick Moody
R2 Derek Carrier
R3 Corey Lemonier - shares FT starter snaps with Skuta (are we willing to risk it)
R4 L.J. McCray
R5 Chris Cook
Note: A guy like Dobbs will probably be inactive now d/t the depth in front of him (Dial, Tank, TJE, etc.). Maybe we throw in an (if active), Johnson for Skuta?
Hey somebody has to move over Osgood is back

• buck
  • Veteran

L5 Perrish Cox
L4 Jimmie Ward - is a FT starter. I would imagine he would now be replaced by Osgood
L3 Dan Skuta - shares FT starter snaps with Lemonier (are we willing to risk it)
L2 Craig Dahl
L1 Chris Borland
K Phil Dawson
R1 Nick Moody
R2 Derek Carrier
R3 Corey Lemonier - shares FT starter snaps with Skuta (are we willing to risk it)
R4 L.J. McCray
R5 Chris Cook

Note: A guy like Dobbs will probably be inactive now d/t the depth in front of him (Dial, Tank, TJE, etc.). Maybe we throw in an (if active), Johnson for Skuta?

The loser of the Wilhoite/Borland comp will probably play more on special teams.

Last year, Skuta played on 27.6% of the defensive snaps and on 37.2 % of the special team snaps.
Lemonier played on 25.9 of the defensive snaps and 39.1% of the special team snaps.
Add Aaron Lynch to that particular mix, and maybe the risk is reasonably reduced.

I would say the special team snaps for Ward should be kept to a bare minimum. The risk is too high.

Originally posted by buck:

L5 Perrish Cox
L2 Craig Dahl
L1 Chris Borland
K Phil Dawson
R1 Nick Moody
R2 Derek Carrier
R4 L.J. McCray
R5 Chris Cook

The loser of the Wilhoite/Borland comp will probably play more on special teams.

Last year, Skuta played on 27.6% of the defensive snaps and on 37.2 % of the special team snaps.
Lemonier played on 25.9 of the defensive snaps and 39.1% of the special team snaps.
Add Aaron Lynch to that particular mix, and maybe the risk is reasonably reduced.

I would say the special team snaps for Ward should be kept to a bare minimum. The risk is too high.

I'm safely assuming Wilhoite wins that battle and Borland is already listed...he's going to be an absolute ace for us.

So Osgood replaces Ward (I'm hoping)...his original gunner position.

So now we have Skuta and Lemonier to think about. Last year, they both had minimal position snaps d/t Brooks/Aldon playing almost all the snaps (until Aldon's rehab). This year, same story...both will take significantly more starter snaps d/t Aldon's suspension. So does the team want to risk an injury on ST's? I agree, Lynch would be a viable candidate along with Johnson. Both guys would "probably" need to be active b/c they back up key players, Brooks and Culliver, respectively. So those are two viable options as well. Those two make sense. Also, since Skuta will mostly just come in on pass rush situations (or vice versa with Lemonier), the player that takes the leats snaps could stay on ST coverage as well (most likely Skuta). So we have 3 viable options to replace 2 "starters" this year. And yes, I would hope we don't use Ward at all. Too risky!

My lineup right now would be:
L5 Perrish Cox
L4 Kassim Osgood
L3 Dan Skuta
L2 Craig Dahl
L1 Chris Borland
K Phil Dawson
R1 Nick Moody
R2 Derek Carrier
R3 Dontae Johnson
R4 L.J. McCray
R5 Chris Cook
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM ]

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Final Week 1 Coverage Units Prediction

Kick Off Coverage Unit

L5 Perrish Cox
L4 Jimmie Ward
L3 Dan Skuta
L2 Craig Dahl
L1 Chris Borland
K Phil Dawson
R1 Nick Moody
R2 Kassim Osgood
R3 Corey Lemonier
R4 L.J. McCray
R5 Chris Cook

Note: We could easily substitute Skuta for Dobbs or Lynch as all 3 can play the same position. I also agree with NCommand that it´s risky to play Ward on ST but I haven´t seen Osgood play the 4 or 5 yet.

Punt Coverage Unit

Line: Derek Carrier, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody, Kyle Nelson, Dan Skuta, Corey Lemonier, Chris Cook
Gunners: Kassim Osgood, L.J. McCray
Personal Protector: Craig Dahl
Punter: Andy Lee

Note: I pray to god that they keep Carrier instead of Reid. Again Lynch / Dobbs instead of Skuta is a possibility.
[ Edited by DeUh on Sep 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM ]
Well done. I'm adding to my Team Needs for now. Thank you!
Is Osgood officially back?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Is Osgood officially back?

San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh announced on KNBR this morning that he anticipates wide receiver Kassim Osgood returning to the team today. Coach Harbaugh said if team places Glenn Dorsey on injured reserve with the return designation, Osgood will return.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/2/6097017/jim-harbaugh-kassim-osgood-glenn-dorsey-49ers-roster
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Well done. I'm adding to my Team Needs for now. Thank you!

By the way.

Dontae Johnson is one heck of a ST player. Especially on the punt coverage unit. He is the personal protector and usually the 1st player downfield. The only reason I did not include him is that stupid "7 inactive" rule. I think that at least 1 of our 10 DB´s has to be inactive on game day (D.Johnson).
[ Edited by DeUh on Sep 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone