LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Special Teams 2014

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
McCray continues to be one of my favorites to make the roster.

He is putting in the work.

Still would like to see on kick returns.

The loss of Costanzo was not good, but it will be important for the youngsters trying to make the team.

[ Edited by buck on Aug 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:

The loss of Costanzo was not goof, but it will be important for the youngsters trying to make the team.

You know I'm with you 100% on this one. I'd much rather him back there fielding punts/kickoffs over risking Hyde!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ I rewatched the Ravens game with an eye on McCray.

Found/saw some intersting things:
1. The starters for the first half were Dahl (SS) and Spillman (FS). But McCray started the second half at SS next to Spillman (you'd expect Campbell here). Ironically, I'm leaning towards these two being the primary backups to Reid/Ward & Bethea. I think the coaches wanted to see what they have in their perceived 2nd team?
2. The first thing that stood out to me was his speed. He plays much faster than both Spillman and Dahl (esp.) and seems to have much more range. This makes sense given in college, he was used in the slot also like how Ward is currently being used with us.
3. Good nose for the ball and willing to stick it in there on running plays but needs to learn to be a touch faster and play off blocks better (first run play he was there but got blocked out of the play and subsquently pancacked by a WR).
4. We played him deep S (vanilla) about 50% of the time so he had a lot of ground to cover just to make tackles/plays on the ball/help with coverage. He's fast playing down hill esp. The other 50% of the time, we had him up and near the LOS (did great here). Wasn't challenged deep at all.
5. Loved his play inside the Ravens 3 yard line. Crept up to the LOS and blew up a TE 5 yards into the backfield on the left side and did it with one shoulder to keep his hands free (he used this technique x2 and it worked well to play off and through both blocks). It forced the RB inside for a 4 yard gain (late persuit by others).
6. On the play where Johnson downed the ball on the 1 yard line, it was McCray who was the first one down and he occupied the returner so Johnson could catch a clean bounce.
7. He got one PF call against him but it was total B.S. late in the 4th. Seriously, it was a joke.
8. He played the entire second half (great sign).

Overall: He seems about exactly where you want him...didn't make any mental mistakes, some good technique, form tackling, around the ball in run/pass when to his side, had a few tackles (non-credited assists), physical, stuck his nose in there, good speed, range, esp. aggressive around the LOS, played inside the box and in deep cover shell, plays a bit hesitant (thinking/diagnosing), can get washed out, can play a bit high at times, etc. and I see him contributing on ST coverage units as well. Dahl is going to have to play exceptional (high salary) to justify keeping him over McCray IMHO. His "quietness" yet effectiveness/discipline reminds me of another guy I picked to make the roster under the radar...Marcus Cooper.

Yes man. Nice work.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

The loss of Costanzo was not goof, but it will be important for the youngsters trying to make the team.

You know I'm with you 100% on this one. I'd much rather him back there fielding punts/kickoffs over risking Hyde!

Just a matter of time.....

Is this Coach Rathman working with him ?

[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
A few 2014 contract numbers from a couple of ST players to consider.

Kassim Osgood
Cap Hit $570,000
Dead $0

Bubba Ventrone
Cap Hit $855,000
Dead $0

C.J. Spillman
Cap Hit $1,558,333
Dead $333,334

Craig Dahl
Cap Hit $1,283,333
Dead $881,667

*all numbers from spotrac.com
Originally posted by DeUh:
A few 2014 contract numbers from a couple of ST players to consider.

Kassim Osgood
Cap Hit $570,000
Dead $0

Bubba Ventrone
Cap Hit $855,000
Dead $0

C.J. Spillman
Cap Hit $1,558,333
Dead $333,334

Craig Dahl
Cap Hit $1,283,333
Dead $881,667

Very important to factor in here. I only have Osgood and Spillman making it thus far.
Osgood.

Remember last season, Osgood was cut initially, then brought back after week 1 as a salary move. If he'd been kept all along, they'd had to have paid him some vet minimum. So they cut him and brought him back at a lower salary.

Same thing could happen this year, but no question he's an extremely valuable STer. Could they keep 7 WRs, including him?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Osgood.

Remember last season, Osgood was cut initially, then brought back after week 1 as a salary move. If he'd been kept all along, they'd had to have paid him some vet minimum. So they cut him and brought him back at a lower salary.

Same thing could happen this year, but no question he's an extremely valuable STer. Could they keep 7 WRs, including him?

That is a very very good point! That 6 or 7 question is a big one and one I waver on daily.
There is a fear out there about not keeping all of our core special team's guys, fearing that we will get the same result that we did in 2012. While this is a legitimate fear, I don't think the loss of maybe one guy (in favor of keeping Brandon Lloyd) will not have us regress that far. Not only that, but I think we should be a much better team offensively in terms of making first downs, sustaining drives, and turning more 3s into 7s, and more three and outs or times where we punt into at least 3s. I don't really for see a defense being to stifle ALL of our playmakers the entire game. Hopefully a young player can step up and replace the contributions of one of our veteran special teamers.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
You know what.....time to go out on a limb again.

Since we signed L.J. McCray and I began to dig into his college career ( http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/page41/#post611 ) I started rooting for him. He is a very physical player, has the potential to be a st ace, was a dangerous returner in college, got rare praise from Fangio this off season, knows Tomsula since 2012 etc.

L.J. McCray will make the 53 man roster this year.

From left to rigth: McCray (46), Bethea (24), Reid (35).

Craig Dahl
Cap Hit $1,283,333
Dead $881,667

Why, why, why......???
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
My take on our 2014 Coverage Units

Kick Off Coverage Unit

L5 Perrish Cox
L4 Jimmie Ward
L3 Dan Skuta
L2 Craig Dahl
L1 Chris Borland
K Phil Dawson
R1 Nick Moody
R2 Derek Carrier
R3 Corey Lemonier
R4 L.J. McCray
R5 Chris Cook

Punt Coverage Unit

Line: Derek Carrier, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody, Kyle Nelson, Dan Skuta, Corey Lemonier, Craig Dahl
Gunners: Jimmie Ward, L.J. McCray
Personal Protector: Chris Borland
Punter: Andy Lee
[ Edited by DeUh on Sep 1, 2014 at 7:20 AM ]
I think this years special teams is gonna be crazy good

Kick Off Coverage Unit

Chris Cook
Corey Lemonier
Nick Moody
Derek Carrier
Chris Borland
Phil Dawson
L.J. McCray
Craig Dahl
Perrish Cox
Dan Skuta
Jimmie Ward

Punt Coverage Unit

Line: Derek Carrier, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody, Kyle Nelson, Dan Skuta, Corey Lemonier, Craig Dahl

Not bad. Who did we have in 2012 that we stunk it up so bad?

Kick Off Coverage Unit

Chris Cook
Corey Lemonier
Nick Moody
Derek Carrier
Chris Borland
Phil Dawson
L.J. McCray
Craig Dahl
Perrish Cox
Dan Skuta
Jimmie Ward

Punt Coverage Unit

I'll be honest, I rarely pay attention to the actual units other than the gunners (Morris, Spillman, Cox, etc.) and the guys who down the ball on the 1 (i.e. Osgood).

SO I can't comment on the lineup BUT this sounds about right and that is a ton of speed out there.

How would they line up? Like this?

Jimmie Ward - Gunner 2
Chris Cook - speed and length/range
Corey Lemonier - tackler
Nick Moody - tackler
Chris Borland - wedge buster
Phil Dawson - Center
Dan Skuta - wedge buster
Craig Dahl - tackler
Derek Carrier - tackler
Perrish Cox - speed and length/range
L.J. McCray - Gunner 1